Disposing of Magazines-worth trying to sell?

Robin-42

In a probably failed attempt to simplify my life I have decided to cull my collection. I have Flypast's back to almost the first issue and realize that I have not looked at them in ten years and will likely not do so. Does anyone here have any experience in selling them? Is there a market at all? I have a feeling that the street value is zero, but would hate to just toss them. I am in Canada, north of Toronto so shipping costs would likely be prohibitive.

In a probably failed attempt to simplify my life I have decided to cull my collection. I have Flypast's back to almost the first issue and realize that I have not looked at them in ten years and will likely not do so. Does anyone here have any experience in selling them? Is there a market at all? I have a feeling that the street value is zero, but would hate to just toss them. I am in Canada, north of Toronto so shipping costs would likely be prohibitive.

I was in a similar situation regarding disposing of magazines when I moved house.

I actually ended up donating to local charity shops, who were more than willing to take them, apparently they pass them on in bulk and get paid for them.

Derek

Hi Robin,

I have been in the market for some old magazines over the years, mainly for nostalgic reasons. When I have bought, I have usually gone for batches which are up for nominal bids. Postage costs I do not mind providing they are fair and proportionate. This is just me though and I may not be representative of course.

What I DO avoid though are single copies listed with silly buy it now prices and money grabbing postage attached.

Two years back I moved house and thinned out my books by giving quite a few to a local aviation museum for their library or second hand funding sales (where they had the book in their archive already). I also offered them piles of magazines, whole volumes actually - they didn't even want to give them space so they still sit in my garage.

I think you will shift your mags providing you treat them almost as giving them to a good home at no cost to yourself. Otherwise you might wait years for the buyer who must have them at all costs.

How is downtown Toronto? I have happy memories of browsing the basement of that SciFi mag store which was packed to the ceiling with old kits.

Good luck with the mags.

Nige

Robin - I have to concur with other correspondents that sadly you may not have many takers for your magazine collection.

I appreciate that Tunbridge Wells (30 miles south of London) is a long way from Toronto and arguably irrelevant but the reason for mentioning it is that it is the home of The Aviation Bookshop which is mecca to many enthusiasts. Back in the 1980s when it was in north London it had a room full of all sorts of back issues of aviation and aircraft modelling magazines. Today, in their current location, there are none and when I last enquired about their appetite for taking some of my mags the offer was politely declined.

I have every Scale Aircraft Modelling back to issue one in 1977 and every Aircraft Illustrated back to issue one in 1967 along with countless others and I too wonder what I will with them when it's time to get a smaller house.

Are there any local modelling or aviation clubs that would take them off your hands for free or perhaps a nominal sum?

I have had good luck selling my old modelling magazines at Model Swap and Sells for fifty cents an issue, or five for two bucks (AUD)

You pretty much have to accept that you are going to get very little for them.

I've noticed that other sellers trying to sell theirs for more usually end up taking them home

I've been selling magazines ever since I last moved house. I had boxes and boxes of them including scale modelling mags. Been selling them ever since and I've been doing it for the past 7 years. When I moved I filled a wheelie bin with them & now I wish I hadn't. Made literally hundreds of pounds selling them all over the world on ebay.

Martin

I recently had a magazine pogrom. I went through everything I had, kept the ones with interesting stuff in them, as well as the full run of Plastics Modeller and ModelArt Australia magazines (not that much shelf space there), and binned the rest. The local club guys weren't interested, and I couldn't be bothered in trying to list them for sale. 3/4 of a wheelie bin, twice over 2 weeks and yes, it was a wrench. The reality is though, that I hadn't looked at most of them in years, and probably never would again.

Edited by Rob G

I don't think this will be relevant to the original poster, but for anyone living in the UK, who make trips to the RAF museum in London, the Hendon shop is happy to take donations of second-hand magazines. I recently passed a load on to them, as the prospect of putting them on Evil-Bay did not fill me with joy.

Cheers.

Chris.

Does anyone know if the museum at RAF Cosford also takes in second-hand magazines? They definitely take books, as I have often bought SH books from them.

Thanks for the advice guys, I suspect a free to good home ad is coming. As to downtown Toronto, I avoid it like the plague. It's down to one good, and one really good hobby shop, sadly. I live 11/2 hours north of the city. They call 5cm of snow an emergency, we call it Tuesday. My tractor will throw snow 20 metres.

Hi, Robin-42.

I just read your message about having only two model shops within striking distance. It could be worse.... if you live in London you have the choice of exactly one model shop. In a city of 8.5 million people, that strikes me as pretty pathetic. Whilst people have argued that you can get everything on-line (which is very true), there is something nice about being able to have a look in the box before you buy.

Moan over.....

Chris.