Westland Wessex Family STGB Chat

heloman1

OK guys and gals, just gentle reminder for those of you who might have dosed off. Just five months to go before we launch... change your filters, drain the fuel cellsa nd get refreshed.

Colin

Hey, why not? I haven't built a helicopter for real in quite some time. I threw a Mi-28 together last year for some testing, but I think a nice Wessex in an interesting scheme would be much more fun. Problem no. 1 - there are a LOT of interesting schemes...

Being a braille scale guy, I suppose Italeri is the place to start for Wessex kits? Or elsewhere?

Cheers,

Bill

Yes Bill, Italeri is the place to got for Braille scale but then they do do 48th too...

Colin

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi Colin,

Would it be stretching the Wessex "family" definition too far by including the Westland Whirlwind - given the H34 / S-58 was a direct descendent of the S-55? There is a definite family resemblance.

Andrew

• 1 month later...

OK, everyone the GB is upon us, so start you engines (builds) at midnight tonight.

Good luck to everyone. Check the beginning of this thread if you have entered.

Colin

• Like 1

Hi heloman1/Colin,I've only just noticed this STGB..........I didn't sign up for it,but is it ok to crash the party at this late stage?

I have fond memories from the land of NI of this old bird,I plan on doing a 72 Sqn a/c.

Andrew

I'm thrilled and devastated at the same time to see this GB.  Thrilld as I love all thing whirly and devastated because my kit building days are over.  We downsized in the Summer and there simply isn't the room, the price of financial independence LOL. I passed on 2 Italeri 1:48 HU 5's to my nephew from my now defunct stash, I'd have been torn between 2 tone green Northern Ireland or blue and red Culdrose.  

Looking forward  to seeing all the masterpieces, give it hell boys

• Like 1

NO! I refuse to allow it to be time for this GB so soon. Wasn't it meant to start at the end of 2016?

I'll see how I go, I bought a kit specifically. No promises (not that my entry or otherwise matters a fig.)

can I come in too, i didnt see this one creeping up. i bought a heritage aviation wessex for the non plastic gb that didnt seem to happen so it looks OK to do for this one instead.

I didn't sign up originally,but I'm up for this,just waiting for the HC2 conversion set to arrive. Bit worried about the timescale though,got lots going on at the mo,plus a holiday & Christmas to get out of the way,I'm slow at the best of times........best crack on!!:whip:

Andrew

Question for thems as knows...

I have the 1/72 Italeri HU.5 (it's the Falklands twin kit with the Harrier if that makes a difference). Is it a suitable base kit for making a Wessex 60 (the civvy version)? Research would seem to indicate a family tree of HC.2 -> 60 with the HU.5 being an 'improved' HC.2, but that doesn't meant that backdating a 5 is the best way to go.

Also, what do I need to do to make it look 'right' for the 60 (exact accuracy not required- someone get the salts for that chap at the back, please). My own interpretation of photos is not much use, given that I don't know the subject.

Any help gratefully accepted. Or should I just forget it?

Externally it is mostly identical to the hc 2. Biggest difference is the cabin door it has 2 windows instead of 1. Looking at the couple I have done some work on its pretty easy to build one up. Depending on what era you want, the later version/upgrade had a totally different nose air filter.

Rio

• Like 1

Thanks Rio, appreciate the reply. I'll look deeper into it...

Heloman1, if (and it's now a big if, due to life etc) I make a start on this one, it won't be for a while. But I'll follow along to see how everyone's going, if that helps.