1915 RNAS Short 184, Aeroclub, 1:72 - wings on!

Brandy

Crikey, Ian, 1mm pully assemblies and gossamer fine rigging! Hard to get my head around the sizes because the image comes up fairly large even on my old PlayBook. However, quite impressive.

Going back to page three and your monofilament comparison: I bought a spool of mono (Drennan, Supplex), 1.4lb, .085mm, that I guessed would be about the correct size for the Camel but it is so fine I had to use a black Sharpie on it to even see it. Not sure I can, unlike you, work with anything that fine. Still thinking about stretched sprue, or a combination of both.

DMC

DMC - I have trouble seeing it too, even after running it over a silver sharpie, plus it doesn't show up very well in the display cabinet. I'll probably go back to the 2lb line (0.13mm) after this one. The one situation it is very useful in is where there are multiple lines running from one, when the thinness enables a small, almost invisible, knot to be tied.....that's what's coming next......

Ian

I got "Boris" (the spider) back to work today and he's made a start on the aileron rigging:

35614977886_3489a02147_c.jpg

35267432040_c427e7b329_c.jpg

I'm off (weather permitting) tomorrow evening back to the UK for a couple of weeks to help my little brother celebrate his 50th, so I'll "see" you all in 2 weeks!

Ian

Edited by limeypilot
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
Hi all,

Back from 2 weeks in England/Guernsey to help my "little" brother celebrate his 50th, and have got to the final stage of the aileron rigging on the starboard wings. It would have been so much easier if I'd fitted the control horns securely but I had only stuck them onto the aileron surface and of course they keep falling off! In future I will cut a small notch in the aileron leading edge and slip the horns into that to give them something to bite on.

The rigging consists of the one continuous line shown in the previous post, plus one short line tied to that on each of the 4 control horns, and another tied mid-point on the line from the lower pulley up to the top wing. Each end of these lines is then threaded through holes in the ailerons to give a total of 6 lines to each of the upper and lower faces of the upper aileron, and the lower face of the lower aileron. Sound complicated....it is...my eyes are getting a little squinty!

34813452754_8f4c2ef5a9_c.jpg

I'm going to leave those to cure properly before attempting to tighten them up and finish them off.

Then it will be the port wings' turn.....

Ian

Edited by limeypilot
  • Like 4

Another milestone reached today - the starboard wings are complete! I finished off the rigging without further mishap, got them all nice and taught, only to find that there is now a slight hint of slack in the main aileron lines, but I can live with that and put it down to the fact that there could well have been a little slack when the wings were folded......

maintaining tension while the ca hardens: First one tensioning the upper aileron wires, second one the lower ones...

35654703965_c16d13db2d_c.jpg

35654684085_036ca00874_c.jpg

all trimmed up:

34813454884_9fe8f553c5_c.jpg

and finally with the tip float attached:

35614929596_ac35f7e879_c.jpg

I'll make a start on the port wing aileron rigging tomorrow, and will follow a slightly different order as a result of lessons learned on the first one!

Thanks for looking in!

Ian

Edited by limeypilot
  • Like 3

On 2/16/2016 at 3:33 AM, Fritag said:

Crazy good. I'd be terrified just to pick it up now.

You and me both - I'm so looking forward to getting this in the cabinet out of harms way!

I finished the second pair of wings today with only a couple of minor mishaps: for some reason the outer upper aileron wire went slack when the extra wire was added - it was definitely taught when it was fitted! A little heat took care of the worst of it and as for the other side, I can live with a little slack on that wire anyway. Worse was one of the lower aileron wires under the wing popped after I'd trimmed it so there's no way to repair it. Fortunately it's underneath and not very visible.

The big day is coming......

35614976466_c9e915faca_c.jpg

Tomorrow should see a start on getting the wings mounted, but I need to come up with some way of supporting them, both while I adjust the fit, (hopefully without popping any of the rigging off!) and while they set. I'm thinking of using 5 minute epoxy to give me a little "fiddle" time.....

Ian
Edited by limeypilot
  • Like 1

drum roll.......

35267431150_c190548133_c.jpg

35614942186_3393b1c90b_c.jpg

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

and no major damage! One control horn came off, one set of aileron wires popped off their control horn, and I knocked a tip float off - forgot it stuck out in front of the wing when I turned it over! Nothing not easily remedied...provided I can now figure out how to move the damn thing safely!

I also seem to have made a couple of small errors earlier which very nearly bit me.... when I assembled and rigged the wings I forgot about the dihedral so they sit a little too low at the rear, and the horizontal tail appears to be very slightly tilted, the two together resulting in the rigging just touching the tail on one side. I'm not even going to attempt to correct it, it's not too noticeable, and given how complex this build has been I'm very happy indeed with the way it's all come together!

Tomorrow I will put right the little things that got damaged today, then attempt to attach the drag wires from the rear inner cabanes to the fuselage, and insert the aileron cables in their holes on the fuselage sides. I then need to figure out how to make the sling that needs to be added on the upper centre section, and add the 4 rigging wires that were disconnected to fold the wings: drag wires from the upper inner and middle cabane attachments to the nose, which will be attached to each other at their loose ends and left to hang, and 2 more under the wings which would attach to the float struts. I'll curl the rigging thread around on itself into a small loop and then attach one end, letting it hang under the wing.

Last of all, add the prop, and she's done!

Ian

Edited by limeypilot
  • Like 3

Thanks Martin & Fritag, your comments are very much appreciated....actually I'm quite surprised at how sturdy it is. I've turned it on it's sides and upside down a couple of times and not had any problems. It's a case of being VERY careful about where I hold it!

and now.... having fitted the wings yesterday, today I mended the few items that got hurt during the operation, then connected up the aileron control and rear drag wires (THAT was tricky, working in between the existing rigging!), added the "loose" wires that were disconnected at one end to enable the wings to be folded, and fitted the prop....

34813477054_8f473e4527_c.jpg

34813454334_8368153bb7_c.jpg

35654656585_ee0b3056b9_c.jpg

35654655175_1bebcaae6a_c.jpg

I'll leave the prop to dry overnight, then tomorrow I need to make a sling, paint the wing fold mechanisms, and do a little touching-up, and that's it! Next pics will be in the completed model section! Thanks once again to everyone who has followed and kept me on track with your supportive and encouraging comments!

Ian

Edited by limeypilot
  • Like 3

A small "porky" (for those outside London: "pork pie" = lie) in the last post...I have now, after a year on the bench, finished this one! However, with the light too poor for decent pics I thought I'd post a couple here now, and then post some better ones tomorrow in the completed section.

Here she is:

35654701945_5abd28f7fc_c.jpg

35524310201_ababf1b2aa_c.jpg

Ian

Edited by limeypilot
  • Like 11

John had two on these on sale at Huddersfield today. As I was on the table opposite I was able to bag one before the show started and John sold it to me at very generous price! So I'm now a happy boy.

I'll be making heavy use of this thread when I come to build mine.

Edited by JamesP
  • Like 1

I have to ask Just how on earth does the pilot see where he is going with that great big radiator in front of him? Cracking build btw

The fins on the radiator were very thin, so you could see straight through, a bit like a venetian blind on it's side.

Steve

• 7 months later...