Sopwith Camel - Biggin Hill Wireless School

maltadefender

Hi everyone,

Looking at doing this one in the next little while. I've seen several sources going for blue as the fuselage colour but keep coming back to CDL myself. There is a good quality print of it in 'King of Air Combat' but no mention of potential colours. If anyone has any ideas I'd be grateful.

16071980681_c93f6a41b7.jpg

Hmm very difficult, anything would be just a guess. It looks very tattoo inspired. The "Stars" resemble "compass" tattoo designs and the moon is very 1900's tattooish too. I would say black (or dark blue) outlines for sure The moon on the tail is very similar in tone to the red of the tail stripes and the same could be said of the lighter portion of the "stars" interestingly the top of he fuselage and tail are clearly white as the outline and inner ring of the cockade. I also notice that the cockade appears to be different tones than the tail stripes. Whatever the colours you choose I reckon it will be a very challenging paint job!

• Like 1

Thanks Beardie,

The decals I've got for it have the moon and stars in yellow, outlined in black… a reasonable assumption. Full-on yellow often comes out dark in these pics. The large star up by the cockade is accented with red - again, a fair assumption I think.

In some prints the upper surface comes out less sharply defined - it could be the same colour as the sides of the fuselage. Using the photo above I'd definitely go with white.

I think I'll go with a pale blue for the sides, try and dig out as many versions of the photo as I can and take a view on the top surface. Yes it will be a challenge, but as I've got the Ruston 1000th Camel on my 'to do' list, it'll be a cakewalk next to that!

I've seen several sources going for blue as the fuselage colour but keep coming back to CDL myself.

I think I'd go for CDL myself based on that photo. If it's blue, it's a very very light blue ie white with a drop of roundel blue added. Contrast with the roundel outer white ring is low consistent with CDL, and contrast with the known roundel blue is high, indicating that if it is blue it's much, much lighter.

• Like 1

Hi Fella,

How are you these days ? Hope you are well, I am afraid I cannot offer any answers for you just wanted to wish you well and say that this looks a very interesting scheme, I have a stalled Eduard Camel and will watch with interest.

All the very best

Chris

• Like 1

Thanks Chris - it's nice to be around again! I've got a pair of Eduard Camels for when I get up to speed on rigging - going potty in 1/28 so watch this space. Great to see you, catch up soon.

Will do fella good luck with your build. Did you read the article in Scale Avaition Modeller from Matt Bacon re the Camel Kit where he did the very colourful Camo pattern, looked awesome and there are some tips about dihedral of lower wings and strut angles etc well handy. He is on here. I can't off hand remember the issue details but can try to dig them out if you would like to see it. I have got the Academy 1/32 Camel to build (just finding the time) and the Eduard one then a WNW Early Snipe one day.

Take it easy fella

All the best
Chris

If it is CDL and the decoration is yellow, then it's at the off-white end of the spectrum. Not too lemony! This pic of Culley's Camel is about the right shade - and also makes me question if the top of the fuselage is white or it's simply reflecting the natural light.

545x385-Transforming-IWML-Sopwith-Camel-

Not sure who does a good 'Sail Colour' acrylic - I usually stick to Humbrol CDL. I'm still kind of hoping to get away with pale blue - rather more fetching!

CDL colour varied according to where the linen was sourced from, different (aircraft) manufacturers used different suppliers hence different colours on the same type of machine. British aircraft tended towards the cream as per Culley's Camel above, French aircraft tended towards the pale yellow. Makeup of the dope and aging of the varnish could also make the colour tend towards pale yellow.