Slave 1 - Finemolds 1/72 *Updated photos*

• 1 year later...
On 21/11/2017 at 05:51, Lee Chambers said:

Just about to start this kit,your paintwork is stunning,what colours did you use?,If memory serves you!

Hi Lee,

Sorry for the late response. I've only just seen your question. As best as I can remember, the main colours I used were these...

24801696918_23c795e80d_b.jpg

The lightest colour on the upper hull was a mix of JA Grey and White. I can't remember the exact ratio, I just mixed it by eye until it looked about right. It was probably about 50/50, but maybe a little more white if anything.

The darker colour for the upper hull chipping was Gunze RLM02 and Tamiya XF-76. Again, can't remember how much of each, but the mix may well have had some white in as well. I didn't want it to be that much darker than the base colour.

That got me to this

15233617282_40b05cb947_b.jpg

The dark green was NATO Green, with a little XF-11 JN Green added for shading

15228863666_9af6ec1be5_b.jpg

The base colour for the skirt was the same as the upper hull. The hardest colour to match was the pinky-grey tone that shows up under the dark red in places. I thought I'd need to mix it, but then I remembered I got a Vallejo Game Colour shade that looked about right. That was Heavy Warm Grey, and I think I added a little dark grey to it as well

15127848056_3df7a7780b_b.jpg

The red for the skirt was mainly Cavalry Brown, with a little Panzer Aces Light Rust added, then some Hull Red mixed in for shading

14964300408_48e34ceab6_b.jpg

I wouldn't say that any of the colours are exact matches to the original, or even close really, so they could all be adapted or altered to suit.

Hope some of that was useful. I'm looking forward to seeing your build. You don't see many of them being done anymore. Revell would have been better off re-releasing this one instead of the 72nd Falcon.

Andy:cat:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AndyRM101 said:

Hi Lee,

Sorry for the late response. I've only just seen your question. As best as I can remember, the main colours I used were these...

24801696918_23c795e80d_b.jpg

The lightest colour on the upper hull was a mix of JA Grey and White. I can't remember the exact ratio, I just mixed it by eye until it looked about right. It was probably about 50/50, but maybe a little more white if anything.

The darker colour for the upper hull chipping was Gunze RLM02 and Tamiya XF-76. Again, can't remember how much of each, but the mix may well have had some white in as well. I didn't want it to be that much darker than the base colour.

That got me to this

15233617282_40b05cb947_b.jpg

The dark green was NATO Green, with a little XF-11 JN Green added for shading

15228863666_9af6ec1be5_b.jpg

The base colour for the skirt was the same as the upper hull. The hardest colour to match was the pinky-grey tone that shows up under the dark red in places. I thought I'd need to mix it, but then I remembered I got a Vallejo Game Colour shade that looked about right. That was Heavy Warm Grey, and I think I added a little dark grey to it as well

15127848056_3df7a7780b_b.jpg

The red for the skirt was mainly Cavalry Brown, with a little Panzer Aces Light Rust added, then some Hull Red mixed in for shading

14964300408_48e34ceab6_b.jpg

I wouldn't say that any of the colours are exact matches to the original, or even close really, so they could all be adapted or altered to suit.

Hope some of that was useful. I'm looking forward to seeing your build. You don't see many of them being done anymore. Revell would have been better off re-releasing this one instead of the 72nd Falcon.

Thank you very much Andy!,That will be a huge help,i do have most of the colours,but it was more about how and when you apply them that really brings the weathering to life,i think you are correct about Revell,they should have re-released the Slave 1,I just bought the Bandai PG  1/72 Falcon kit,i was very lucky,the seller in the US only valued the kit at $50 so i avoided a huge import tax !

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
24 minutes ago, Dances With Wolves said:

What's next Andy?

In terms of Sci-Fi builds, I've no idea. It's generally whatever I like the look of at the time. I've got a few of the Bandai box scale kits on their way from Japan, so it'll probably be one of those. Slave 1 is quite an old one (2014 I think), so there's been quite a few in the intervening time.

• 9 months later...
2 hours ago, Piero Stark said:

Did you also add a scenario to this model?

Thanks Piero,

If by scenario you mean a diorama, then I was intending to do one at some point but, as yet, I haven't found the time. Hopefully I'll get around to it eventually.

6 hours ago, AndyRM101 said:

Thanks Piero,

If by scenario you mean a diorama, then I was intending to do one at some point but, as yet, I haven't found the time. Hopefully I'll get around to it eventually.

Thanks for the answer, Yes, I was meaning a diorama, I have asked it because when I will finish mine I want make my first diorama and I have no idea of what do 😄

• Like 1

hello Andy

To be honest, you are also a reason that i registration at britmodeller, i love your works so much, i made my self work to watch all your threads and youre really an artist, i like it how you treat with paints, you have that special feeling for colours, i have a big respect to you and i can still learn from you, even i am more than 40 years a modeler already.

Cheers

Werner

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Harry Callahan said:

i have a big respect to you and i can still learn from you, even i am more than 40 years a modeler already.

Thanks Werner, it's very kind of you to say so.

1 hour ago, The Chief Smeg said:

I’ve learnt so much from everyone on the forum. 

Fully agree Chief. Britmodeller is a great place for all of us to learn from each other.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...