"Eyes of the Desert Rats", Bronco 1/35th Humber Armoured Car Mk II, 11th Hussars +++ Complete +++

Same here, will follow as I've one in the stash as well.

Looks to be a very complete kit, and building up the engine and interior will likely double your build time. Aftermarket vendors don't appear to have produced anything specific for this one. The one thing to look out for are numerous errors in the instructions. There is a very extensive fix list here, and it would be a good idea to print out to have beside you at the work bench:

http://web.ipmsusa3.org/content/humber-armoured-car-mk-ii

regards,

Jack

• Like 1

When I do mine I want to build it as easily/quickly as possible, which could be a bit of a challenge considering the complexity of the kit. The plan is to bin (or "spares bin" to be precise) as much of the engine, interior and underside as possible. It may be a bit of a waste (probably about 50% of the kit!) but I don't build stuff I can't see.

The f*** ups for the instructions won't help either but great info on that, thanks Jack.

Neil

look forward to seeing this - and may be tempted to add this to my list - like the sound of the full interior (does it not give the option for open hatches?). What other paint schemes are on offer?

Day off today, so made a start on the Humber. Work begins with the Engine - loads of small parts but does build up nicely with some care

P1000645_zps3fhgn6yq.jpg

P1000646_zpsfl8dt3kf.jpg

Then sprayed flat black, drybrushed, some details picked out, and weathered with some AK / MIG / Ammo Engine Grime, Fresh Oil, Engine Grease enamels / oils

P1000647_zpsyq0ufweh.jpg

P1000648_zps5tmxx8v3.jpg

P1000649_zpsyekzpwb8.jpg

It's got some older oil seeping out of the gaskets, fresh oil near the filler and a small leak from the oil pump

Peter

• Like 2

Today's work - started by finishing off the engine, adding the exhaust manifolds ( Rusted with pigments - will need more work once the rest of the exhaust system is fitted ), and the Radiator and coolant pipes.

P1000650_zpsuoabjsli.jpg

P1000651_zps9jvnhg25.jpg

Then started on the main Subframe with the transfer box and the linkages for the gear change and drive selectors. Weathered with some drybrushing and once again Mig / Ammo Engine grime and Oil stains.

P1000652_zpsxemer7g8.jpg

P1000653_zpskbommc56.jpg

It's all very nice but also all very tiny

Peter

• Like 5

Today's work - started assembling the main chassis - starting with the two main I-Beams

P1000654_zpsnmoru0vv.jpg

Then added the cross members

P1000655_zpsfhpedlrq.jpg

Sprayed primer over the chassis, then a coat of Light Stone, before fitting the engine and main cabin floor.

P1000656_zpsqc062pre.jpg

P1000657_zpsisjzxtq8.jpg

Finally for the day, fitted the engine bulkhead, engine air filter, and the driver's seat. Base painted, but will need weathering later.

P1000658_zpsgo8jotdc.jpg

P1000659_zpsyzc0pf2t.jpg

Peter

• Like 5

Today's work - started with something a bit different. I assembled the Modular Workshop System pieces I bought - very impressed with these, easy to assemble and work well to organise all the incredibly important stuff you accumulate.

P1000660_zpsmnsnqysd.jpg

Then started work on the Humber again. First made up one of the fuel tanks, sprayed with Alclad Aluminium and weathered

P1000661_zpsroyvjucw.jpg

Then added most of the driver's controls - still have one pedal to fit, and the steering wheel. Also weathered up the interior as well.

P1000662_zpsk333qryf.jpg

P1000663_zpsz1z4xync.jpg

Peter

• Like 4

Today's efforts from sleety Yorkshire - it is strange trying to think hot and dusty for weathering when you get soaked and freezing on every trip to the shed. Anyway started with the fitting of the final driver's pedal, and the Steering wheel.

P1000664_zps2kjwnsoy.jpg

Next fitted the exhaust system - Painted dull brown then weathered with Rust pigments

P1000665_zpsqxp4ue3t.jpg

Then construction moves to the springs and the differentials. Loads of tiny bits, including 2mm wide working spring hangers that just love to catapult around :-)

P1000666_zpsp67tcvoj.jpg

Finally sprayed it all alclad steel, then fitted the lot and added the prop shafts. This hasn't been weathered down at all yet.

P1000667_zpsp0wgwajs.jpg

Peter

• Like 3

Is that a German stick grenade on the left hull side?

W

No - I think it's a case for a telescope or something similar - it's definitely got buckles and straps to hold the top section. Anyway it's going to be painted Leather as that's my interpretation :-)

Today's work on the humber - first added base painting for the details on the sides

P1000672_zpsjakw51uf.jpg

P1000673_zpsmauv51iq.jpg

Then fitted the sides to the chassis ( with a modicum of bad language - it's quite a tight fit, and needed gluing in sections as there's no good way to clamp them ), then weathered the sides down, matted, and added some dust.

P1000674_zpsazmflbaq.jpg

P1000675_zps4ho5bbqg.jpg

Now need to fit the two side doors temporarily - for this use Copydex. This is a latex based adhesive, so is tacky but allows you to remove parts easily later. You can also use it for masking areas as well

P1000676_zps2mv7rsaq.jpg

So the doors in place, and Light stone sprayed on the inside of the wheel wells

P1000677_zpss9zwptmj.jpg

Peter

• Like 6