Viggen prototypes

Orso

I have been building Viggen prototypes

The first one is the full scale wooden mock up that SAAB built before the actual prototypes. 37-0

bas4.JPG

37-0_26.JPG

Airfix 1/72 conversion.

Next is the first prototype 37-1

37-1_14.JPG

Also an Airfix kit. Built with the canards pointing upward like they were initially.

Second prototype 37-2

37-2_02.JPG

Also an Airfix kit. Canards in the normal position.

37-1_4.JPG

The first two Viggens had green cockpits and since the Airfix kit was bare I made some paper cockpits for them.

37-1and2.JPG

Frontal view of 37-1 and 37-2

Next is the fifth prototype, 37-5

37-5_02.JPG

37-5_01.JPG

A converted Hasegawa kit.

37-4.JPG

It got the modified wings with a "sawtooth" and moved radar warning so I had to convert the wings.

The first prototype after modifications.

37-1_64.JPG

37-1_65.JPG

As it looked with modified wings and the raised spine in front of the fin.

37-1_66.JPG

37-1_67.JPG

During spin tests it got a bit more colourful. Built from a Matchbox kit.

37800 the two seat prototype.

37800_14.JPG

Matchbox kit with the low fin from a Heller kit. The twin seater got an higher fin but Matchbox didn't do this correct so I decided to build the prototype in it's initial form with the lower fin.

Edited by Orso
Photobucket sabotage
  • Like 42

A fascinating aeroplane and these are great models carting the initial development. About 20 years ago I almost finished a Matchbox one and your lovely examples are an inspiration to consider another effort. Your silver finish is exemplary too!

Interesting idea to build a model of an aircraft mock up. Something I've never seen done before.

Altogether a nice collection

Very useful and pedagogic concept to portray the early development of the 37 system like this.

Particularly interesting to see the first config of 37-1, with the dihedral of the canards. From the purely aestethic POW, it's a blessing that SAAB rethought that particular feature – it would have detracted from the brutish look of the Viggen! Like putting ballerina feathers on a prize fighter…

Excellent collection, slick models!

Snyggt jobb!

Kind regards,

Joachim

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

37-3_16.JPG

Prototype #3 has been added to the collection.

37-3_14.JPG

The same configuration as #2 but I used the Hasegawa Red Viggen for this build. The three first prototypes is the only ones that could be built from that kit. It is totally wrong for the red one.

37-3_15.JPG

The only marking on this one was the text on the fin. No roundels to be found on it.

37-3_11.JPG

This is when SAAB changed from green cockpits to grey so I made a new paper cockpit. Now I am working on prototypes #4 and #6.

Edited by Orso
Photobucket sabotage
  • Like 5

That's a great collection of the quirky Swedish solution to a contemporary MRCA, well done, like it lots, modelling a wooden mock up is inspired, the scope for that is intriguing to say the least! 

. . . Kes

• 2 weeks later...