1/72 Airfix Do17Z & Defiant Dogfight Double - or A Rake's Work in Progress - Pic Heavy

Thanks very much gents :D

Cookie, I don't know what is next, this was supposed to keep me going until the French Fancies GB and now I find myself with a couple of weeks on my hands; I'll take a couple of days and decide then - in the meantime I have this Customer Advisor/Call Centre course starting tomorrow for the next three weeks, so it might be I lack the energy to start something new in the meantime :lol:

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 2

Another cracking build! And I learned a couple things in between making posts about New Wave bands.

Ah Casey, one last thing... I meant to point you at the Teardrop Explodes and the Cocteau Twins if you have no prior knowledge of them?

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1

I did not have any prior knowledge of them, so I thank you! Will check into getting hold of those tonight. I grabbed the first three Bunnymen albums but I haven't transcoded them from FLAC to ALAC yet or listened to them, but I'm hoping to do the MoFi Sound Labs "Heaven Up Here" tonight. :)

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Srew ,i hope you don't mind but i'm going to bench mark your build (dont know if thats the correct term .i will copy your build) for my Do17 that has now formed the centre part of my Kelloggs Kenley Airfield PAC diorama

• Like 1

Srew ,i hope you don't mind but i'm going to bench mark your build (dont know if thats the correct term .i will copy your build) for my Do17 that has now formed the centre part of my Kelloggs Kenley Airfield PAC diorama

Mind, Alistair? I'm delighted to be of service, thank you :D

Cheers,

Stew

• 2 years later...

Ref the debate over the Hataka rlm70/71 colour accuracy is there any chance of painting these out onto plastic card and laying them onto the charts in the Merrick two volume set, as from what I see they are miles off. That is the only way to establish their accuracy, and unless its your lighting they are some of the worst attempts at 70 and 71 ever seen.

I am interested as its been suggested that Hataka are worth trying as an accurate set, but unless its your interior lighting I dont see any variations on the 70/71 combination as being anything like reality, except that the Phoenix Precision paint I know to be the nearest to 70 and 71 but my samples look different to that Ju88 so pics need to be in daylight not interior lighting or flash.

That fact further supported by what looks to be brown for the interior colour when it should  be rlm02, so again the lighting at play, ditto the rlm65 has no blue about it.

Judgment on this must be in daylight midday !

the 65 and 02 would also be most welcome seen painted out and laid on the Merrick charts. (1938)

Paint in another thread also seems to lack opacity though. Sounds like its rubbish all in all !

Merlin

Edited by Merlin

Holy Thread Resurrection Batman! Pow, Thump...

But I'm so glad you did @Merlin, for its always a pleasure to revisit @Stew Dapple's builds, and this was a cracker,. Can't help with your paint queries I'm afraid, and I suspect Stew would now go with Sovereign as his weapon of choice, but I'll let him speak for himself...

• Like 1

Firstly even without knowing the calibration of your screen I wouldn't recommend using any pictures I post as anything more than the roughest of guides as to what a colour looks like in real life as my camera has issues with the subtleties of almost all colours without even starting on my lighting arrangement.

I can't oblige regarding painting the Hataka colours onto plastic card and photographing them at midday on the equator having sacrificed a chicken first, partly because I was so impressed with the paints that I threw them out and partly because, if you will forgive me, I have far better uses for my time :D 

I understand that Hataka have subsequently revamped their formulation and offered free replacements to anyone who bought the original sets but to be honest that is not a sufficient incentive for me to give them another go.

As Jon notes above I would recommend the Sovereign Colourcoats which are matched to the Merrick chips (n.b. I have a vested interest) but are enamels, if you must use the Devil's dribble that is acrylic paint then I cannot make a recommendation as my experience of them was both limited and disappointing.

Cheers,

Stew

• Haha 3

Hi Stew,

I am an enamels person so fully agree Devils Dribble :-)

I only say midday as a guide and 2pm still does though 4pm in winter is a setting sun and yellowy etc. Any photographs where colour is the judgement and subject must be out of doors without a yellowy sun, anyone please note. Chickens are optional :-)

Sovereign is ex White Ensign, now I had a bad experience with my first ever (and last due to this ) tins when WEM existed, remained tacky for some time (days later) after hand brushing and I THOROUGHLY mix. It wouldnt give a uniform coverage, those dense and less dense streaks occurred that seem to be a thing of modern formulas unlike 'old humbrol',.  On that note I mixed up a tin of Humbrol Authentics the other day and painted out a sample and discovered again the superb flow and self leveling and knitting together the paint did, one coat gave me something that looked as if it was airbrushed. Sheer joy to apply, we have the H&S and EEC to thank for loss of this characteristic so I am told, ingredients that helped this wonderful characteristic were banned.

Come the next day which normally is enough time for any painted part to be ready for 2nd coat, as I examined yesterdays work and placed it back on the cutting mat it remained on my finger for a moment before self releasing. Just not dry as other paints dry, brushing a 2nd coat carefully around the tricky areas, the duration involved in this careful work lifted instead the first coat ! The only way to avoid that was to quickly lay down a 2nd coat before it dissolved the first, but you cant do that if careful brushing, its why one is brushing in the first place !

I like the ease of clean up with acrylics and the ability to crack on with the build but the same dry speed is counter productive when it domes to fine airbrush work, I even get bung ups on laying down general areas of cover. Flow retarder is the way it seems but measuring that out for a small amount of paint I have custom mixed worries me.

As everything is going acrylics I am trying to find a range that are colour accurate and perform well but manufacturers are not interested in such accuracy it seems., certainly in matching to a recognised and well received colour standard. When they start shooting down colour charts to justify their own idea of a match, but a match to their own 'non existent' charts, then that tells all. Its the relationship between colours as well that counts and when 70/71 painted out looks like 71/02 then its even worse.

If anyone would care to paint out Hataka and place onto their Merrick charts in daylight and are armed with a dslr set to auto white balance, not tungsten etc !., it would be interesting to see.

My screen by the way is colour calibrated for pro use.

Merlin

Edited by Merlin