F101 Voodoo (Revell 1:72)

Many thanks must go to Darby on this one for his advice and heads up on some tricky parts on this model.

So here is the Revell 1:72 F-101 Voodoo in Oregon National Guard scheme.

Lesson learned with this one..DO NOT use acrylic varnish on enamal it ruins a prefect paint job!

FullSizeRender_zpscd7yb9kj.jpgFullSizeRender3_zps0bxf7fqc.jpgFullSizeRender2_zps6yzak3hu.jpgFullSizeRender1_zps1xevayb0.jpgFullSizeRender4_zpsnzng4lbu.jpgFullSizeRender5_zpsrmnakgql.jpg

• Like 16

Great -101! Impressive looking plane at any time! You've got a very nice model, even with (invisible for me) varnish issues.

I have used Clear on enamel paints and I never had a problem. Pretty much like an acrylic varnish in my book. Which varnish did you use, that we should avoid at all costs?

JR

The varnish was humbrol acrylic varnish on humbrol enamel paint. The grey and metalics bubbled in patches so had to scrape off sand feather and repaint. Odd that it wasnt the whole model just a section on one wing and strip across top of fuse and one one fin side mainly then odd bits here and there. Recoverable but damn annoying when you have a percfect finish ruined.

• Like 1

I've never had a problem using clear acrylics over enamels, but I always allow at least a week for the enamel to thoroughly cure. If i can still smell the paint, then it needs more time to cure.

• Like 1

I've never had a problem using clear acrylics over enamels, but I always allow at least a week for the enamel to thoroughly cure. If i can still smell the paint, then it needs more time to cure.

Totally agree. I use all sorts for painting, but apply only acrylic clear varnishes on top -nary a problem! Was the Humbrol varnish out of a rattlecan, by any chance? Dunno if it's the propellant, but it can play merry hell with enamel.

Still, that is a gorgeous 101der!

(Erm...aren't the gear bays usually green? :devil: )

Ah, thought so -I also managed to wreck a paint job and a chunk of the Ozone Layer in one go! Never touched the canned stuff since. That finish is an excellent recovery, though.

Yes, the gear bay door interiors are red but the bays themselves are (zinc chromate?) green:

http://www.cybermodeler.com/aircraft/f-101/f-101b_walk.shtml

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Right, that's it!

I am definitely going to finish mine. It's well under way, but the build has stalled while I'm faffing around with other stuff.

New year resolution - finish the voodoo! No more excuses.

And if it's half as good as this one, I'll stick a picture up.

Sorry, but I jumped in late to this thread.  Regarding the issue with clears, I regularly use Model Master Acrylic clears (flat, gloss, semi-gloss) over both acrylics and enamels with no problem ... applied by both airbrush and brush.  I haven't used an enamel-based clear in years.

FWIW, I've used the MM acrylic clears over the following brands: Model Master (both enamels and acrylics), AeroMaster enamels, Compucolour & Xtracolour (both enamels) and Tamyia

Scott

Edited by Scott Hemsley