Hawker P.1103 and P.1121: Camm's Last Fighter Projects

overscan

Later this year (hopefully around summer) Blue Envoy Press will be publishing a book on the Hawker P.1121, written by Barrie Hygate and me.

Based on many years of research by both authors, this book tells the story of its birth from first drawing to cancellation and the historical context in which it was created. It will feature lots of previously unpublished manufacturer drawings, many photos of the P.1121 prototype, mock-ups and models, cutaway drawings, computer-generated and traditional artwork and more. Barrie Hygate has drawn many pages of new scale drawings for the book.

Hopefully this could be of interest to some Britmodellers members.

Paul Martell-Mead (www.secretprojects.co.uk)

Edited by overscan
  • Like 9

Mid 1950's design that looks like it could do the business today. Very F-16 style with the under chin intake.

hawker-p-1121.jpg

brief bit

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawker_P.1121

A chapter in British Experimental Jet Aircraft as well, by Barry Hygate.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/372/dp/1854860100

as an aside Paul, I read somewhere online that Barry Hygate had some improved drawings for some of the planes in the above book.

Since it's long out of print, are there plans to do a new version?

also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawker_P.1103

2wheels

I remember that RAF year book in the crew room,we were sat there talking about what we could have been working on and what the big wheels were thinking of. Although one of our Chiefs had been on a TSR 2 course before it was scrapped and was glad he never had to work on a real one.

That artist is the bees knees,I used to love his AIR Enthusiast monthly magazine covers and Air Tattoo posters. So much movement. Thanks for that pic!

Indeed, that is one of my favourite images.

Here's a small snippets of two of Barrie's drawings

P.1121%20drawing_zps4jyippqm.png

P1121Dims_zps90986fd8.jpg

And a test 3D render of P.1103 from a few years ago

P1103NevilleDukeSpeedRecordAttemptRobPar

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

Was lucky enough to see the mortal remains of the P1121 in a hangar on the far side of Cosford airfield in 2000. A humbling experience to be so close to what would have been such an awesome aircraft.

• Like 1

I to remember that cover first time I saw the TSR 2 and the Hawkers, and still in LOVE ! I will be getting this book and will read it time again like that RAF Yearbook in the times of the mist in long hot summers of long ago and NO council tax. Also to let people know Nimrods Genesis by Chris Gibson is out http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1902109473/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=VCI20WM28TB1&coliid=I2VKXVA5CE7WF4.

• 4 months later...

Direct from Blue Envoy, or various quality bookshops, to be announced later. We're hoping to have a batch at Scale Modelworld 2015 at Telford for me to sign, and I'm coming over from New Zealand so I really need to make the deadline!

• Like 1

Direct from Blue Envoy, or various quality bookshops, to be announced later. We're hoping to have a batch at Scale Modelworld 2015 at Telford for me to sign, and I'm coming over from New Zealand so I really need to make the deadline!

I am REALLY EXCITED.

The book looks very promising, although I do hope that it takes a somewhat balanced look at the real options for the Air Staff rather than just "It was great and we wuz robbed" line. You can see why the RAF didn't need a close equivalent to the F-105. There was a brief campaign to save it using the name Hurricane to try to drum up support.

The book looks very promising, although I do hope that it takes a somewhat balanced look at the real options for the Air Staff rather than just "It was great and we wuz robbed" line. You can see why the RAF didn't need a close equivalent to the F-105. There was a brief campaign to save it using the name Hurricane to try to drum up support.

It certainly doesn't conclude "it was great and we wuz robbed".

I'm liking the sound of this book a lot. Any chance it will be available in NZ without the hassles of ordering from the UK? The dollar is making that a bit painful just now :(

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz

I'm liking the sound of this book a lot. Any chance it will be available in NZ without the hassles of ordering from the UK? The dollar is making that a bit painful just now :(

Steve.

HI Steve

it seems overscan is based in Auckland, so you maybe able to order direct, or some NZ bookseller will have copies.. I'm guessing you missed the post i quote above...

HTH

T