Watch out the Candids are coming...!

Radleigh

I agree Jessica, nothing new at all. I was told about the Argosy with bomb racks when I was in training at RAF Halton on one. The Pembroke had hard points on the wing as well. A 60 Sqdn Pembroke gained a couple of sidewinder missiles on it's hard points and was parked up on the visitors ramp at RAF Wildenrath one year causing a lot of comment.......I even remember the date April 1st! A lot of people thought the "trial fit" was going flying later that day though I'm told.

• Like 1

After a quick look on the all knowing W.W.W. I found this.

"in the internal-security fit in 1963 XN814 was modified to accommodate external bomb racks (for 14 bombs) on each side of the lower fuselage; the nose window was equipped as a bomb aimer's position. After successful trials with the "Argi-bomber" the aircraft used in Aden and the Far East were given this modification. There is no evidence that they were operationally used in this offensive role."

I agree Jessica, nothing new at all. I was told about the Argosy with bomb racks when I was in training at RAF Halton on one. The Pembroke had hard points on the wing as well. A 60 Sqdn Pembroke gained a couple of sidewinder missiles on it's hard points and was parked up on the visitors ramp at RAF Wildenrath one year causing a lot of comment.......I even remember the date April 1st! A lot of people thought the "trial fit" was going flying later that day though I'm told.

What Entry were you? Argosy at Halton, was that the one with the oversize Radome? T2,We had two, the "shiney" T2 and Camo C 1 (?).

http://www.abpic.co.uk/photo/1024095/

"New" workshops had Piston Provost for Elementary Airframe and Hunters for advanced Airframe Phases but most of the Hunters went to the Swiss and Jordanians and we ended up with a few Hunters, Sea Hawks aswell as the 'Vixens. They were deemed too complicated for 16 year olds (correct!) and nothing much happened with them.Jp's,Canberras on Airfields Phase. Lightning for polishing,ex Reds Gnat for the leccies (over stressed I think).Helicopter phase were 2 Whirlwinds .parked down Airfields were 2 Vulcans, a Beaufighter (engine run classroom when my dad was there 1943!),Twin Pioneer,Comet C2 (?) Chipmunks for Air experience joy rides.

That Beaufighter was the cockpit, wings ,engines,the rear fuse and tail missing and nailed to a shed they called a classroom! We didn't use it obviously. Not sure if they were good days..........Far to many hours being shouted at,peeling spuds,visits to the camp butcher for hair cuts and no cash!

• Like 1