1/72 - EE Canberra B.2/T.4 by S&M Models - released - B.6 in November 2018

Homebee

On 08/02/2015 at 08:27, Wez said:

No Antoine, the B.2 and the B.6 had the same airframe, the B(I).6 uses the B.6 airframe.

There were many differences between the two marks but externally they're similar.

The easy spot is the engine intakes, the starter bullets are shorter on a B.2 compared to a B.6.

If you want to be precise, the starter on the B2 will have one exhaust straight underneath the starter (Mk101 Avon, single breech starter), the B6 will have a triple breech starter with three exhausts and Avon 109.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 71chally said:

I'm not familiar with SM stuff at all, but I really hope this is the answer that us Canberra fans have been praying for for a long time now.

Get this one right and it will a sure fire success.

The Provost is a lovely little kit; a friend of mine completed one recently and he was full of praise. I believe the Sycamore has been well received also. If that is the standard then I think the Canberra will go down very well.

But I need to build my Airfix 1/48 B.2 first, particularly as I splashed out on a TT.18 conversion set and all the aftermarket gubbins.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, T7 Models said:

But I need to build my Airfix 1/48 B.2 first...

and there is the reason for a decent 1:48th Canberra kit as well!

Thanks for the other info, really looking forward to this one.

4 hours ago, HomerJ_757 said:

If you want to be precise, the starter on the B2 will have one exhaust straight underneath the starter (Mk101 Avon, single breech starter), the B6 will have a triple breech starter with three exhausts and Avon 109.

More precisely, the B.2/PR.3/T.4 has two starter exhausts, one at 2 o'clock, the other at 8 o'clock, looking head on to the engine.

As well as the starter bullet sizes & exhausts, there are other small detail differences, such as main wheels, but they are all correctable.

• Like 1

A thousand apologies 71chally, PR9, 1 exhaust, avpin starter, T4 two exhausts.  Hey, give a guy a break, 32 yrs and a beer or two since I last played with one! 🙂

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Release expected in late (November?) 2017.

- ref. K72-39 - BAC Canberra T.4

- ref. K72-40 - BAC Canberra B.2

Source: http://sandmmodels.co.uk/misc-news/brand-new-tool-canberra-b2t4-172-scale/

Brand New Tool Canberra B2/T4 1/72 scale

Following on from the success of S&M Models Injection moulded kits of the Piston Provost, Bristol Sycamore and Alvis Stalwart. S&M Models are very proud to announce a Brand New Tool of the CANBERRA B.2 and CANBERRA T.4 in 1/72 scale.

Provisional Box artwork is shown below.

The kits will be launched at IPMS Scale Model World at Telford in November 2017

Other details including CAD images will be available shortly.

two.jpg

S&M Models 25/05/2017

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 7

This is one kit that I've been looking forward to for quite a while.

Let's just hope that it's priced at a reasonable level so that diehard Canberra fans will purchase it in multiple quantities.

I realise that the manufacturer will be keen to recoup their initial investment (and possibly) make a profit, so wish S&M all the best with this venture.

Now I just need to find a set of 45 Squadron Camels??

Cheers.. Dave 

Happy days.  Let's see, one in black and grey, one in green, grey and PRU Blue, one in HSS and one in second line camo.  And that's just for starters.  My poor wallet.

• Like 2

Don't forget the one in Suez Stripes!! You see - price it right and it will walk out the door on its own (well almost!).. 

Cheers.. Dave

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Meatbox8 said:

Happy days.  Let's see, one in black and grey, one in green, grey and PRU Blue, one in HSS and one in second line camo.  And that's just for starters.  My poor wallet.

May I add one in Raspberry ripple ? And the overall white used in the Med, and another couple of RAE ones.... oh dear ! Wonder if S&M will offer a discount on bulk purchases... :D

• Like 1

Ok - I going to verge on the controversial now without (hopefully) meaning to offend.

Now I don't wish to steal any of S&M's thunder however I wonder how many of these kits would sell worldwide if this basic kit/moulds were on-sold to another global manufacturer with a much larger market distribution? I doubt I'll ever see one of these kits in my LHS, so any non-UK modeller is going to have to pay for postage on top of the basic kit price. If sold (in say?) a nice red box it will be sold in all parts of the world with a much greater chance of an actual sale being made. 

All im trying to say is that S&M have taken quite a bold step with producing this kit (which I applaud), however increasing their worldwide market coverage would surely aid to bringing home additional profits. 

I'll crawl back inside my little dark box now! Looking forward to this kit, however I'll doubt I'll buy more than one and that one will be subject to price. 

Cheers.. Dave

On ‎01‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 0:37 PM, Rabbit Leader said:

This is one kit that I've been looking forward to for quite a while.

Let's just hope that it's priced at a reasonable level so that diehard Canberra fans will purchase it in multiple quantities.

I realise that the manufacturer will be keen to recoup their initial investment (and possibly) make a profit, so wish S&M all the best with this venture.

Now I just need to find a set of 45 Squadron Camels??

Cheers.. Dave 

Xtradecal may re-release the Canberra Squadron markings set that Model Alliance did which had the 45 sqdn markings or alternately try and find the Kits At War set that Dutch Decal did that had the Washington and Canberra bomber option

29 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Ok - I going to verge on the controversial now without (hopefully) meaning to offend.

Now I don't wish to steal any of S&M's thunder however I wonder how many of these kits would sell worldwide if this basic kit/moulds were on-sold to another global manufacturer with a much larger market distribution? I doubt I'll ever see one of these kits in my LHS, so any non-UK modeller is going to have to pay for postage on top of the basic kit price. If sold (in say?) a nice red box it will be sold in all parts of the world with a much greater chance of an actual sale being made. 

All im trying to say is that S&M have taken quite a bold step with producing this kit (which I applaud), however increasing their worldwide market coverage would surely aid to bringing home additional profits. 

I'll crawl back inside my little dark box now! Looking forward to this kit, however I'll doubt I'll buy more than one and that one will be subject to price. 

Cheers.. Dave

Not controversial at all. I don't think I'm giving anything away in saying the kits are tooled by Micro-Mir and the short run mould life is limited to around 1000 kits, if Mel wants to make more he has to pay for a new mould and order another 1000 kits. The point is if you want some get them when they come out and don't wait, in the unlikely event that Mel sells out quickly you won't be able to get one further down the line, and don't wait for them to be discounted, the initial sales cover the cost of production, the profit is in the sale of the last few hundred, so don't hold out waiting for a bargain! 

Colin   

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Cheers.. Dave

Mel's doing it because nobody else is, he's had it lined up for a while so ensured that Airfix and Italeri had no plans to do the Canberra bomber in 72nd  in the near future.

As his range expands you may find an Australian dealer wanting to distribute the S&M kits, as the Sycamore would also do well over there, and they may like the Provost and the Stalwarts

On 6/2/2017 at 0:43 PM, Colin @ Freightdog Models said:

I don't think I'm giving anything away in saying the kits are tooled by Micro-Mir and the short run mould life is limited to around 1000 kits,....

Only a 1000!  I think there could be some disappointed modellers around soon.

The problem with short runs is the amount produced and cost, great if you want to build one or two, but off-putting for the multiple builders.

Whats @canberra kid going to do!

I really hope that a mainstream manufacturer picks up on how well this subject will sell, worldwide.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, 71chally said:

The problem with short runs is the amount produced and cost, great if you want to build one or two, but off-putting for the multiple builders.

I really hope that a mainstream manufacturer picks up on how well this subject will sell, worldwide.

I can only concur with this post, it is a source of constant amazement to me that we can buy mainstream kits of WWII Luftwaffe and Japanese paper projects yet real and popular aircraft that have sold worldwide are not available from mainstream manufacturers - barking mad if you ask me!

Edited by Wez
Speelung!!
  • Like 7

8 hours ago, 71chally said:

Where does the 1000 production run come from? The SM Prop Provost and Sycamore kits are great.

Why won't S&M kits sell worldwide?

Perplexed, HD3