1/72 - EE Canberra B.2/T.4 by S&M Models - released - B.6 in November 2018

Homebee

Source: http://sandmmodels.co.uk/misc-news/canberra-kits-have-arrived-in-the-uk/

Canberra kits have arrived in the UK

S & M Models are pleased to advise the Canberra kits have arrived in the UK

Only to be snagged by ‘H.M. Revenue and Customs’, who advise their process will take 5-14 days.

S & M Models again apologise to our customers but the Canberra will Not now be available at Chalk Farm.

V.P.

• Sad 1

Greetings all,

Anyone else have trouble placing an order for these beauties?

The S&M website is failing to work out the shipping charge for me, and won't progress the order.

Regards

Rob

Update.

I spoke to Mel and he was willing to send a Paypal invoice to me if all else failed.

I wanted to order 1 of each of the kits.

In the end I placed an order for 3 items and the website calculated the shipping charge.

I then removed 1 item and updated the cart and it recalculated the shipping costs and

let me progress the order to completion.

A bit of a fudge but got there in the end.

Edited by robc
Additional information

Camberra B.6 variant announced for 2018.

Source: http://sandmmodels.co.uk/misc-news/canberra-b2-and-t4-kits-have-arrived/

Canberra B2 and T4 kits have arrived

**STOP PRESS***

Finally, the Canberra B2 and T4 kits have arrived.

They are being sorted and packed as these words are written.

Both kits will be available to purchase on our site today.

Many thanks to all our customers for your patience and support.

By way of celebration S&M Models are delighted to announce our intended injection moulding program for 2018:-

1/72 Canberra B6

1/72 Westland Wasp

1/72 Westland Scout

1/48 Westland Wasp

1/35 Westland Scout

1/72 FV 432

We hope you will find these interesting.

V.P.

Edited by Homebee

• 3 weeks later...

Any prospect of a B(I).8 in due course with the innovative (with due respect to Ali62) way the canopy / front end is designed?

Rich

24 minutes ago, RichG said:

Any prospect of a B(I).8 in due course with the innovative (with due respect to Ali62) way the canopy / front end is designed?

Rich

What would be the point when there's the Airfix B(I)8 available at 1/2 to 1/3 the cost of an S&M Models kit?  There's no competition for a B.2/T.4/B.6, it really is an omission by Airfix and something we hoped for when they released the B(I)8 and PR.9 in 1/72nd a few years ago.

Edited by Wez

Well that that depends on how you define "available" - and as to price I guess  that's down to supply and demand. It may well have been that retail price on release - but are you certain it is now? For instance... and on the same theme who's to say that a forthcoming B.2/B.6 in a big red box won't be announced on 9 Jan... ;)

6 minutes ago, RichG said:

Well that that depends on how you define "available" - and as to price I guess  that's down to supply and demand. It may well have been that retail price on release - but are you certain it is now? For instance... and on the same theme who's to say that a forthcoming B.2/B.6 in a big red box won't be announced on 9 Jan... ;)

I still don't think Mel would feel justified in paying for a B(I)8, he can't compete should Airfix re-release their B(I)8, it's simple economies of scale. 

The price in your link to E-Bay are proof positive that a fool and his money are easily parted.  I'll quite happily sell mine for that price and then go to my nearest model shop who I know have some of these on the shelf to replace them for less than the E-Bay price.

I hope Mel has sold his run of B.2/T.4 if there is a surprise announcement from the big red box company in January.

I hope Airfix don't bring out a B.6 or B.2 for that matter, unless they have brushed up on the detail differences involved, if they just go for a scaled down version of the 1/48 kit we won't be that much better off than we are now. All the Canberra Mk,s have subtle detail changes the change from B.2 to B.6 isn't a case of sticking Avon 109's into a B.2 or a new nose on a B.6 to make a B(I)8. but in the end it's down to what you are happy with, if the sape is right out of the box it's a good start, if it can be right in almost everything out of the box even better, but I'm still waiting for that day and in the meantime we will just have to plug away with what we have!

John   

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Wez said:

I hope Mel has sold his run of B.2/T.4 if there is a surprise announcement from the big red box company in January.

I am pretty sure Mel had talked to the "Big Red Box co" nd made sure there were no plans or B.2, before he undertook the Canberra project. Just  a sensible thing to do.

Absolutely agree with John, my feelings are a bit more deep seated though.  Airfix had their chance of producing decent Canberra kits, and didn't, there are so many issues with them (in 48th and 72nd) it's unreal. 

I hope that S&M will go on to produce other reasonable accurate Canberra variants, and sell them - they deserve to.

• Like 3

Airfix 1/72nd Camberra new tool kit soon or not? That is a question I asked M. Bromley (S&M Models owner) while I met him at the IPMS Belgium National a bit more than a year ago (Link). At that time he was pretty confident Airfix had no near or medium-term plans to produce such a kit otherwise his project couldn't have been launched. 

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 2

On 30/12/2017 at 9:53 AM, 71chally said:

Absolutely agree with John, my feelings are a bit more deep seated though.  Airfix had their chance of producing decent Canberra kits, and didn't, there are so many issues with them (in 48th and 72nd) it's unreal. 

I hope that S&M will go on to produce other reasonable accurate Canberra variants, and sell them - they deserve to.

So far an accurate B.2 has eluded every one, but as long as the manufacturas keep trying to get more than one variant out of the one kit, and given the cost involved who can blame them for trying? I guess we never will. We need three or four distinctly diferant kit's to cover the family, and I can't see that happening ether!

John

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, canberra kid said:

So far an accurate B.2 has eluded every one, but as long as the manufacturas keep trying to get more than one variant out of the one kit, and given the cost involved who can blame them for trying? I guess we never will. We need three or four distinctly diferant kit's to cover the family, and I can't see that happening ether!

So what are the accuracy issues with S&M B.2? I'm quite interested in this kit but there are so many interesting subjects with good kits already I'll pass for anything major.

33 minutes ago, Apex said:

So what are the accuracy issues with S&M B.2? I'm quite interested in this kit but there are so many interesting subjects with good kits already I'll pass for anything major.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235031091-sm-models-172-english-electric-canberra-b2t4/&

On 29/12/2017 at 7:07 PM, canberra kid said:

I hope Airfix don't bring out a B.6 or B.2 for that matter, unless they have brushed up on the detail differences involved, if they just go for a scaled down version of the 1/48 kit we won't be that much better off than we are now. All the Canberra Mk,s have subtle detail changes the change from B.2 to B.6 isn't a case of sticking Avon 109's into a B.2 or a new nose on a B.6 to make a B(I)8. but in the end it's down to what you are happy with, if the sape is right out of the box it's a good start, if it can be right in almost everything out of the box even better, but I'm still waiting for that day and in the meantime we will just have to plug away with what we have!

John   

If Airfix did a 1/72 Canberra B2/6 it would almost certainly be a new kit with new research and design. The 1/48th kits came under the 'old' regime that tended to be a bit slpa dash on the details

• Like 1