1/72 Airfix Defiant Nightfighter, 264 Squadron, Debden, Dec. 1940

Very, very nice! - I am starting to think on doing one... Excelent work but also both painting schemates are very interesting - despite the "overall black", which might sound dull at first.

Cheers

J-W

• Like 1

Damn fine model sir! You did a great job on that pilot- I am envious of how convincing it is, the wash is spot on for facial detail- the camera can be cruel but nothing to hide here! The shark teeth version makes me want to pick up the new Airfix kit ASAP!

• Like 1

Very, very nice! - I am starting to think on doing one... Excelent work but also both painting schemates are very interesting - despite the "overall black", which might sound dull at first.

Cheers

J-W

Thank you very much Jerzy-Wojtek, that is very kind of you. I recommend the kit to you without hesitation, it builds easily and the end result is very attractive :)

Damn fine model sir! You did a great job on that pilot- I am envious of how convincing it is, the wash is spot on for facial detail- the camera can be cruel but nothing to hide here! The shark teeth version makes me want to pick up the new Airfix kit ASAP!

Thanks very much JB, I used some Citadel Paints wash for faces, it is called 'Reikland Fleshshade' and it basically did all the work for me :D - as for the kit, the sharkmouth option is definitely a strong selling point - the kit decals were excellent quality too.

Can't believe I neglected to comment on these. Awesome job they look really well. Hope mine joins yours in RFI soon.

Hi Mark, thanks mate, it looks like yours should be along shortly, it's coming along really nicely :)

Excellent Defiants Stew!

I really enjoyed seeing their progress, and I love the weathering on the latest one.

Hey Cookie, thank mate - I really enjoyed building them too, for all the (self-inflicted) trials the weathering gave me the whole build was very much what I hope for when I buy a kit if you know what I mean? :shrug:

Thanks to you all gents :D

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1

Thanks David :)

As far as I know, there aren't any decals for a 515 Sqn aircraft - would that be the '3P' squadron codes? It's not on any of the sets I have seen, or included in any of the MPM kit releases that I know of. Not sure about the Pavla decal choices, but my gut feeling says not... sorry.

Cheers,

Stew

Thanks David :)

As far as I know, there aren't any decals for a 515 Sqn aircraft - would that be the '3P' squadron codes? It's not on any of the sets I have seen, or included in any of the MPM kit releases that I know of. Not sure about the Pavla decal choices, but my gut feeling says not... sorry.

Cheers,

Stew

Possibly the "3P" but as they were a electronic jamming squadron, it is possible they didn't carry markings???

Possibly the "3P" but as they were a electronic jamming squadron, it is possible they didn't carry markings???

Hmm, in that case it might be possible to make your own, there is a wide selection of different roundels in the Xtradecals set, though you'd still need another set of decals for the serials... truth be told I have no idea what markings those aircraft carried, do you have a picture or a link for one anywhere?

Cheers,

Stew

Hmm, in that case it might be possible to make your own, there is a wide selection of different roundels in the Xtradecals set, though you'd still need another set of decals for the serials... truth be told I have no idea what markings those aircraft carried, do you have a picture or a link for one anywhere?

Cheers,

Stew

Hi Stew,

I think that's half of the problem.... no photo's!

Hi Stew,

I think that's half of the problem.... no photo's!

Hmm... I suppose that is natural given the secretive nature of their work... well, you can look at it as a problem, or as an opportunity - no pictures = a blank canvas for your best guess :D

Cheers,

Stew

• 1 month later...

Just brilliant Stew

Great finish and very generous of you to share the exhaust technique.

One thing I was in awe of is the crew. Are they very detailed and you picked out the highlights?

The obvious one I love is the excellent and so very believable rendition of the pilots goggles......how on earth did you pull that off?

Cheers

Bruce

• Like 1

Just brilliant Stew

Great finish and very generous of you to share the exhaust technique.

One thing I was in awe of is the crew. Are they very detailed and you picked out the highlights?

The obvious one I love is the excellent and so very believable rendition of the pilots goggles......how on earth did you pull that off?

Cheers

Bruce

Hello Bruce, and thanks - I went into a fairly detailed description of how I painted another Defiant crew here - the principles are much the same, but the short answer is that the crews are very well sculpted and detailed and I just picked the details out. For the goggles, I painted the whole lens silver then 'blobbed' a little of the helmet brown colour in the centre of the lenses, it is much easier than attempting to paint the frames.

Cheers,

Stew