Paint masks from kit instructions

beetcleaner

I use the White Tak/Masking tape method when masking off to spray a top coat. I usually build 1/48 scale WW2 British fighters. Although this method is quite flexible it doesn't exactly match the wavy lines on the instruction sheet.

Can someone tell me how to "scale up" the painting guide on the instruction sheet itself to get it to fit the model. I presume you would have to scan it, get it to the right size to fit the 1/48 kit and then cut it out and attach it to the model with white tak underneath.

I am currently building the new tool 1/48 Airfix Spitfire Mk Vb in the Malta colour scheme and would like to try this method on the kit. Thankyou for any advice.

What I normally do is measure a couple of key dimensions on the model and the instructions then divide one by the other. For example let's say the wing span of the kit is 200mm and the wing span in the plan is 120mm, 200/120 is 1.67 so you need to scale up the instructions by 1.67 times or 167% on a photo copier. I quite often find that the plans are not always the same scale in each view, ie the top view might not be the same size as side views so repeat the exercise for each view!

Phil

• Like 1

I am really rubbish with computers so I expect the way I do it is not the best. All I do is scan the painting instructions to file and then change the size of the scanned picture using paint. Sometimes I measure the wingspan other times I just hold the model against the computer screen to get the right size. You have to make sure you get your print options right before printing or the picture won't come the size you want. This only really works for the wings.

not QUITE the answer but might be helpful to someone; I was recently building the old Airfix A7 in 1/72nd scale which has a very basic interior (an instrument panel and the two side switch panels really) but no transfers (decals if you are younger than me). I had recently finished a 1/48 scale SLUF (VILE kit, don't ever start a kit based on the box art alone) which DID have the aforesaid transfers and which I had scanned before I used them. having messed around with paint progammes to no great avail I finally simply pasted the scanned pictures onto an Open Office page (several times in case of mistakes) then measured the width of the instrument panel on the new kit. using the rulers on the Word page it was a simple matter to scale down the scanned pictures to the required size. dead simple although I said previously, not quite the answer, but it might help someone.

A7%20instrument%20panel%20001.jpg

• Like 1

Thankyou all for the advice. This will allow me to achieve a more accurate finish to the camouflage. Is it just me or are the outlines on the standard brown/green WW2 Airfix kits a lot more "wavy" now.

When I used to build them as a child there seemed to be a smooth flowing line unlike now where there are lots of smaller twists and turns. Or is it age?

• Like 1

Thankyou all for the advice. This will allow me to achieve a more accurate finish to the camouflage. Is it just me or are the outlines on the standard brown/green WW2 Airfix kits a lot more "wavy" now.

When I used to build them as a child there seemed to be a smooth flowing line unlike now where there are lots of smaller twists and turns. Or is it age?

I think you are right, but then I also remember 1.72 kits and Burton's Wagon Wheels as being bigger.

• 4 years later...
On 2/7/2015 at 11:37 AM, old thumper said:

I think you are right, but then I also remember 1.72 kits and Burton's Wagon Wheels as being bigger.

Burtons Wagon Wheels. They were definitely Bigger 3" in those nice open paper envelopes, then enter the EU 3" became 75mm. Gutted I was.