Italeri Mustang over North Africa.1/72.

Hi folks,last week while binning some old boxes and a couple of kits beyond saving I actually had this hovering over the bin with the airframe

primed minus all the rest of the pieces.I bought it last year for pennies just for the scheme but lost interest as I hated the canopy.So I thought

have a laugh and using the Maskol technique I have done on a couple of kits see what I could do to represent the effects of the Hot African

sun if it did,nt work nothing lost just a couple of hours and a pot of paint.So here,s the finished kit which I am glad I saved, the canopy was

nowhere as bad as I thought although the kit is apparently full of errors not sure with having the loop antenna it should have the wire as well

but either are easily removed if wrong.I am now trying this method on a Korean war Corsair.Thanks for your time.

SDC12773640x480_zps3b1bcf8b.jpgSDC12774640x480_zps8a31c830.jpgSDC12779640x480_zps4c6c4bed.jpgSDC12781640x480_zps6a9e4dfe.jpgSDC12782640x480_zps5d9ca49d.jpg

• Like 12

Fantastic piece of modelling there Steve, bet your glad you saved it from the bin. Although I'm not one for weathering, I'd recently read

about these Mustangs, and that looks really spot on,

Sean

• Like 1

I used Maskol which is from Humbrol,once mixed thoroughly I apply with a brush on the areas I want to fade after spraying the lighter colour over the airframe.

Then spray the darker "proper" colour over the airframe, once dry I rubbed the kit with a cotton bud and paper towel and the darker colour remains where there

was no Maskol underneath,as it is a rubber based substance which comes of quite easily.

• Like 1

Steve, this looks real good! I hate binning kits, so I am glad you saved this one.

Your weathering is spot on, as it looks just like my car who has toiled countless years under the same African sun you mention... And I did not even use Maskol on it!!!!

Great show!

JR

Looks great Steve, was your gripe with the canopy to do with the way the rearmost side windows were molded with the curve of the fuselage instead of separate panes?

Either way, I think this looks good! I've got one in the pile (of course) and might do the Academy one too.

Looks great Steve, was your gripe with the canopy to do with the way the rearmost side windows were molded with the curve of the fuselage instead of separate panes?

Either way, I think this looks good! I've got one in the pile (of course) and might do the Academy one too.

Hi,exactly that, however when I took it out of the poly bag and I noticed there was a recess around the curve of the glass I realised it was going to be much

easier to paint and it was actually a good fit,the lack of any framework on the side windows was annoying too but a couple of masked squares on each side

and I think it turned out OK.

Steve, this looks real good! I hate binning kits, so I am glad you saved this one.

Your weathering is spot on, as it looks just like my car who has toiled countless years under the same African sun you mention... And I did not even use Maskol on it!!!!

Great show!

JR

Thanks Jean,I have repeated this method on a Korean war Corsair which should be finished in a couple of days,be warned it really does look like it,s been

in the wars!

• 1 year later...