Tamiya 1/48 Spitfire Mk.Vb

Well, 2014 was a bit of a bust for me modelling-wise, as I didn't actually finish a single thing. Fortunately 2015 is shaping up to be a bit more productive (actually infinitely more, if you're a stickler for math.)

Hot off the bench is the good old Tamiya Spitfire Mk.Vb, pretty much OOB. The only things I did to it were:

- Refined the wing trailing edge a bit to fix the well known shape issue

- Refined the shape of the nose a bit to make the rocker covers a bit less "broad shouldered" looking

- Drilled out the canon barrels

- Drilled out the exhausts

And that's it. I didn't even add a seat harness, although I still have the option since the canopy hood is only tacked on.

Paints are Gunze Mr Colour for the Dark Earth, Tamiya 75% XF81 Dark Green plus 25% XF49 Khaki for the Dark Green and 75% Tamiya XF21 Sky plus about 25% X2 White for the Sky. The roundels and fuselage codes were masked and painted, while the rest of the decals came from the new Airfix Mk.Vb kit (which will be next off the bench, as it happens.)

The markings themselves are neither fish nor fowl, BM597 having never actually been painted in this camouflage scheme during her service career, although she did wear the codes JHoC while flying with 317 Sqdn. As a restored warbird, BM597 does indeed wear these colours, but there are several airframe details that are post-war modifications that the Tamiya kit does not include (obviously). So I've painted the model up in the restored colours, but weathered it as if it were in service, just because I felt like it.

Questions and constructive criticism are always welcome!

IMG_0781_zps35ccf104.jpg

IMG_0791_zps851a3573.jpg

IMG_0797_zps67c4f459.jpg

IMG_0802_zpsa3981f0c.jpg

IMG_0800_zpsd70ddfc2.jpg

IMG_0799_zpsdfd03edf.jpg

IMG_0820_zpsfe0364ce.jpg

IMG_0814_zps54dbae7a.jpg

IMG_0826_zpsc17d0185.jpg

Cheers,

Tony

• Like 26

Beautiful looking build!

Would be interested to know what masks you used? I tried using a Montex one for a recent Hurricane build - with mixed results. I found it to be very fiddly, especially with the four coloured fuselage roundel, so any info or pointers would be most welcome.

That is just fantastic and one of the best builds I've seen lately! The weathering and "feel" in the paint job is just what I'm aiming for myself in the best of worlds and the canopy is clear as glass.

I really like painted markings myself, how did you make your masks?

/Erik