Hi, everybody. After several months of lurking around here and finding myself in awe of the quality of the builds on here, I finally decided I'd sign up and post my own efforts.

I picked up Tamiya's 1:48 Lancaster on eBay, the other day. I've always had a thing for Lancasters, and the kit was relatively cheap. I couldn't resist. I'm afraid though, it seems I've bitten off a bit more than I can chew - I wouldn't consider myself to be the most accomplished modeller, and the equipment I've got to work with is...well, rudimentary at best. I really want to do this kit justice, so I'd love some constructive criticism, advice, tips, tricks or anything else you might be willing to share :)

Anyway, here's the early going (apologies for the iPhone camera quality)

048_zpslugw1e7i.jpg

048_zpslugw1e7i.jpg

Got some of that Eduard PE too, to spruce up the interior a bit. Heard a lot about it, but never used it before. Utterly fantastic, and quite cheap too. Reckon I'll get some more for the bomb bay - although the kit bay comes with lots of studs on it that need to be removed. Anyone have any tricks for removing them, or am I in for a lot of sanding?

Good luck CD, it's a good kit though there are things wrong with it if technical accuracy is of any importance to you. A search of the forums will bring up lots of posts about the Tamiya Lanc! If I were you i wouldn't bother with the PE for the bomb bay; in my opinion it's not worth the difficulty in fitting it!

Max

• Like 1

I know what you're in for! I finished this kit almost precisely one year ago and since it was my first kit I asked a lot of questions and got a lot of answers. I you'd like you can go through it and hopefully pick up some hints: the build

Just as galgos I would skip the p/e for the bomb bay but one upgrade I would really look for is some barrels for the gunner turrets.

Good luck!

/Erik

Edited by somnas

Hi, everybody. After several months of lurking around here and finding myself in awe of the quality of the builds on here, I finally decided I'd sign up and post my own efforts.

I picked up Tamiya's 1:48 Lancaster on eBay, the other day. I've always had a thing for Lancasters, and the kit was relatively cheap. I couldn't resist. I'm afraid though, it seems I've bitten off a bit more than I can chew - I wouldn't consider myself to be the most accomplished modeller, and the equipment I've got to work with is...well, rudimentary at best. I really want to do this kit justice, so I'd love some constructive criticism, advice, tips, tricks or anything else you might be willing to share :)

Got some of that Eduard PE too, to spruce up the interior a bit. Heard a lot about it, but never used it before. Utterly fantastic, and quite cheap too. Reckon I'll get some more for the bomb bay - although the kit bay comes with lots of studs on it that need to be removed. Anyone have any tricks for removing them, or am I in for a lot of sanding?

Like the login name ;)

(from Len Deighton's excellent novel, Bomber http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bomber_%28novel%29)

I really want to do this kit justice, so I'd love some constructive criticism, advice, tips, tricks or anything else you might be willing to share

Really?

Given the other underlined comments, i'd say build something simpler first, the Tamiya kit unfortunately is not cheap, Sorry if that sounds negative, bear in mind getting another will not be cheap.

(it blinkin' well should be as the moulds amortised themselves long ago..it was flippin expensive back in 1980, £13.99 in fact) and you may find yourself disappointed with the results.

But, on a more positive note, the work you have done looks decent, so you maybe doing your self down. Even if you do put it to one side, it's not like it will go off.

My experience of the kit 'back then' was not brilliant, I never finished it and it got dissembled and has been in a box for 33 years ... (it maybe salvageable, I'd think about buying another if it was pried like the old Monogram bombers, eg about £20, but as I never see if for less than £50...)

I'd be looking at careful test fitting/trim/adjust over use of filler, which I'd advise for any kit. and IIRC it's possible to modify the UC legs to fit them later on, as it is with the turrets.

It's a big thing to move about when main part are together, so leaving off UC and turrets as long as possible is not a bad idea.

Finally, if it is an old boxing, test a spare decal, as Tamiya decals are noted for being thick, and if old, they may not have aged well, so test one from a scheme you aren't going to use, rather than finding out one of the big markings.

Aftermarket decals for the kit are easy to get so it's not a big problem.

HTH

I know what you're in for! I finished this kit almost precisely one year ago and since it was my first kit I asked a lot of questions and got a lot of answers. I you'd like you can go through it and hopefully pick up some hints: the build

Just as galgos I would skip the p/e for the bomb bay but one upgrade I would really look for is some barrels for the gunner turrets.

Good luck!

/Erik

Ah, I've seen yours before! It looked so good it persuaded me to have a crack at it myself. It's absolutely top drawer and if I can make this one look even half as good as yours, I'll be extremely happy.

Like the login name ;)

(from Len Deighton's excellent novel, Bomber http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bomber_%28novel%29)

Really?

Given the other underlined comments, i'd say build something simpler first, the Tamiya kit unfortunately is not cheap, Sorry if that sounds negative, bear in mind getting another will not be cheap.

(it blinkin' well should be as the moulds amortised themselves long ago..it was flippin expensive back in 1980, £13.99 in fact) and you may find yourself disappointed with the results.

But, on a more positive note, the work you have done looks decent, so you maybe doing your self down. Even if you do put it to one side, it's not like it will go off.

My experience of the kit 'back then' was not brilliant, I never finished it and it got dissembled and has been in a box for 33 years ... (it maybe salvageable, I'd think about buying another if it was pried like the old Monogram bombers, eg about £20, but as I never see if for less than £50...)

I'd be looking at careful test fitting/trim/adjust over use of filler, which I'd advise for any kit. and IIRC it's possible to modify the UC legs to fit them later on, as it is with the turrets.

It's a big thing to move about when main part are together, so leaving off UC and turrets as long as possible is not a bad idea.

Finally, if it is an old boxing, test a spare decal, as Tamiya decals are noted for being thick, and if old, they may not have aged well, so test one from a scheme you aren't going to use, rather than finding out one of the big markings.

Aftermarket decals for the kit are easy to get so it's not a big problem.

HTH

Bomber is fantastic. Big fan of that book.

But yeah, it really does help. I've done a fair number of kits before this one, but only two in this scale (Airfix's Mosquito and Revell's EF Typhoon). Lancasters mean a lot to me, my Grandfather flew them operationally - survived 60 odd trips. I'd like to make this one better than the 1:72 Lanc I've got and the dozen or so other kits I've done - which range from reasonably good to pretty bad. So yeah, any and all help is greatly appreciated.

If you're looking for one, I got mine for about £40 off eBay. Would not have bought it at full price.

Built this myself a couple of years back now. It is a bitch of a kit of build- not what you would come to expect from Tamiya nowadays but this is a 30 year old mould.

Where do I start? The kits engine nacelles are wrong- Belcher bits do a resin replacement but take some work to get fitted.

I would recommend a set of flightpath browning guns, if still available or else Quickboost.

The decals for the wing roundels are far too small- I personally ended up painting mine on.

I added the Eduard set for the cockpit and also belt sets for the turrets.

Ultimately, It will build up to look like a Lanc but takes a bit of effort.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234939341-avro-lancaster-b-iii-tamiya-148/?hl=%2Bpicadilly+%2Bprincess

This is the link to my Lancaster.

Alan.

I really want to do this kit justice, so I'd love some constructive criticism, advice, tips, tricks or anything else you might be willing to share

Hi! So you want some advice? There are no tricks, just be patient with it. For example, on a kit of this size, careful with the long joins, gradually adhere the parts together and let everything set solid before you pick it up again.

The Belcher engine parts are really necessary if you want accuracy, the paint scheme is best applied using Xtracolor paints, the insignia are probably best painted too.

Great work so far, just keep up the momentum...

Ah, I've seen yours before! It looked so good it persuaded me to have a crack at it myself. It's absolutely top drawer and if I can make this one look even half as good as yours, I'll be extremely happy.

Bomber is fantastic. Big fan of that book.

But yeah, it really does help. I've done a fair number of kits before this one, but only two in this scale (Airfix's Mosquito and Revell's EF Typhoon). Lancasters mean a lot to me, my Grandfather flew them operationally - survived 60 odd trips. I'd like to make this one better than the 1:72 Lanc I've got and the dozen or so other kits I've done - which range from reasonably good to pretty bad. So yeah, any and all help is greatly appreciated.

If you're looking for one, I got mine for about £40 off eBay. Would not have bought it at full price.

Bomber does an excellent job of describing the many facets of the bomber very well, and has some very memorable moments, I read it about the time I got the Tamiya Lanc.

I go the impression you'd not done many kits, but with a few already done then it should be no problem. A caution about worrying about accuracy that other members have mentioned, the kit has many more detail errors than you might expect.

Do you know which boxing it is? The more current ones have two sets of prop and other parts, the original has paddle blade props, but the earlier shallower bomb aimer bubble.

personally even at £40 it's overpriced, for what you get. For the sake of sanity don't look this stuff up, the kit whatever it's faults makes a model that is unmistakeably a Lancaster and is very impressive when finished, or even nearly finished as my one was, nearly!

Have you considered doing one of the planes your Grandfather flew? 60 trips is a lot, two tours, so there is a lot to work on there, and there may well be photos of one the planes he flew in.

Do you have any photos or his logbook? I know there are some very knowledge members here who would be happy to help, Galgos, who posted above, father was a WW2 pilot, and he's been making models of planes he flew, I don't know if you checked the link in his post

http://www.ordinarycrew.co.uk/

He know a lot about Lancasters, as does Miggers. there are also more historical sites, like 12 o'clock high, which maybe better for historical information.

Xtradecal do sheets of RAF Dull red codes for example, so even without a photo if you know a date, squadron and serial, you may get an aircraft letter, and you will probably be able to get photos of other aircraft from that squadron as a guide to that squadrons marking style.

cheers

T

I bought a great book at a car boot sale last summer. It is called Avro Lancaster: The Definitive Record by Harry Holmes. It lists every Lancaster, gives a list of missions undertaken and every bomber's fate. If you could give me details of your grandfather's machine I can look it up for you.

• Like 1

Thank you for the kind words! I forgot to say that I think the fit of my kit was good with one exception, the engine nacelles, it helps to be mentally prepared for those I think. The replacement nacelles from Belcher doesn't fit that well either so you're in for some work in that area either way.

Some of the issues described in other posts above depends on which kit you've got as can be read here: http://www.relishmodels.co.uk/build-a-better-lancaster-part-1.html

/Erik

Bomber does an excellent job of describing the many facets of the bomber very well, and has some very memorable moments, I read it about the time I got the Tamiya Lanc.

I go the impression you'd not done many kits, but with a few already done then it should be no problem. A caution about worrying about accuracy that other members have mentioned, the kit has many more detail errors than you might expect.

Do you know which boxing it is? The more current ones have two sets of prop and other parts, the original has paddle blade props, but the earlier shallower bomb aimer bubble.

personally even at £40 it's overpriced, for what you get. For the sake of sanity don't look this stuff up, the kit whatever it's faults makes a model that is unmistakeably a Lancaster and is very impressive when finished, or even nearly finished as my one was, nearly!

Have you considered doing one of the planes your Grandfather flew? 60 trips is a lot, two tours, so there is a lot to work on there, and there may well be photos of one the planes he flew in.

Do you have any photos or his logbook? I know there are some very knowledge members here who would be happy to help, Galgos, who posted above, father was a WW2 pilot, and he's been making models of planes he flew, I don't know if you checked the link in his post

http://www.ordinarycrew.co.uk/

He know a lot about Lancasters, as does Miggers. there are also more historical sites, like 12 o'clock high, which maybe better for historical information.

Xtradecal do sheets of RAF Dull red codes for example, so even without a photo if you know a date, squadron and serial, you may get an aircraft letter, and you will probably be able to get photos of other aircraft from that squadron as a guide to that squadrons marking style.

cheers

T

I have the old boxing with the paddle blades. I've been having a look around for needle blade props, smooth tires and a deeper bomb aimers blister, just to try and make it a little less anachronistic. I might get them, but at the end of the day, if it looks like a Lancaster and turns out looking relatively decent, I don't think I'll mind the little errors too much.

I'd absolutely love to make one of the aircraft he flew, and I've looked into doing it. I've got two log books, one training in Canada on Harvards and one operational with No. 50 Squadron, later with No. 617 Squadron. I've had a dig around online too and I've found serial numbers for every aircraft he flew on during his time with No. 617 - no such luck with 50 Squadron though. Ideally, I'd like to model an aircraft he flew in 1943 with No. 50 Squadron. I don't remember the target, maybe Munich, but his rear gunner shot down a nightfighter (a Junkers 88) that night. The log book contains the date and Squadron letter of the aircraft, but not the serial number. If I go dig those out tonight, would that be enough for someone to tell me the rest of the relevant information?

Thanks chaps

You might be able to buy the extra sprue which contains all the parts you list, The Hobby Company are Tamiya's current importer. When you build the rear turret, turn the mounting brackets round, the instructions have them the wrong way.

I have the old boxing with the paddle blades. I've been having a look around for needle blade props, smooth tires and a deeper bomb aimers blister, just to try and make it a little less anachronistic. I might get them, but at the end of the day, if it looks like a Lancaster and turns out looking relatively decent, I don't think I'll mind the little errors too much.

I'd absolutely love to make one of the aircraft he flew, and I've looked into doing it. I've got two log books, one training in Canada on Harvards and one operational with No. 50 Squadron, later with No. 617 Squadron. I've had a dig around online too and I've found serial numbers for every aircraft he flew on during his time with No. 617 - no such luck with 50 Squadron though. Ideally, I'd like to model an aircraft he flew in 1943 with No. 50 Squadron. I don't remember the target, maybe Munich, but his rear gunner shot down a nightfighter (a Junkers 88) that night. The log book contains the date and Squadron letter of the aircraft, but not the serial number. If I go dig those out tonight, would that be enough for someone to tell me the rest of the relevant information?

Thanks chaps

Modifiations to lancs were ongoing, though paddle blades with a shallow bomb aimers blister would be unusual.

a 1943 Lanc would be more likely to have the needle props and shallow blister. The Hobbyco do supply spares but they are expensive!

As for the 50Sq plane, start a thread in the WW2 section with what you know and see what turns up, though you may well get an answer here.

You could also ask RAF Hendon

http://www.lancaster-archive.com/bc_sqn-50.htm

http://www.no-50-and-no-61-squadrons-association.co.uk/archive-photo-s/

note

2015 REUNION

This 2015 reunion will be held over the weekend of the 13th/14th June.
The AGM and Dinner will be on the 13th June and the service at Birchwood and Skellingthorpe on the 14th June

plus has archive photographs.

well worth an email as they may well know more.

If you have the date and squadron letter then you will be more than likely to get the serial, from what I have read here, getting the letter is harder than getting the serial.

fascinating project, wait for the real Lanc buff to get digging.

finally https://www.flickr.com/search/?w=8270787@N07&q=lancaster

link to Etienne's Flicr of WW2 colour pics, here are the Lancs, lots of useful detail.

Modifiations to lancs were ongoing, though paddle blades with a shallow bomb aimers blister would be unusual.

a 1943 Lanc would be more likely to have the needle props and shallow blister. The Hobbyco do supply spares but they are expensive!

As for the 50Sq plane, start a thread in the WW2 section with what you know and see what turns up, though you may well get an answer here.

You could also ask RAF Hendon

http://www.lancaster-archive.com/bc_sqn-50.htm

http://www.no-50-and-no-61-squadrons-association.co.uk/archive-photo-s/

note

plus has archive photographs.

well worth an email as they may well know more.

If you have the date and squadron letter then you will be more than likely to get the serial, from what I have read here, getting the letter is harder than getting the serial.

fascinating project, wait for the real Lanc buff to get digging.

finally https://www.flickr.com/search/?w=8270787@N07&q=lancaster

link to Etienne's Flicr of WW2 colour pics, here are the Lancs, lots of useful detail.

As it happens, I do some work for the RAF Museum every now and again, as a tour guide. I've had a look at their archives once or twice, haven't found anything of note. I know the national archives at Kew hold the operational records for 50 Squadron, but it's just a matter of steeling myself to go back there - spent far too much time there to write my dissertation a year or so ago!

I certainly have the date and squadron letter - I'll make a thread and see what I can find out.

I'd consider myself fairly knowledge when it comes to Lancasters, Bomber Command and that sort of thing, but having poked around Lanc threads here it really illustrates how much more there is to learn!

Some progress has been made on the rear turret guns. The barrels are the Quickboost ones, miles and miles better than the guns provided by the kit. Having some problems fitting the mountings into the turret though, but I'm sure my trusty nailfile with sandpaper taped to it and I will be up to the task of fixing it.

002_zpslxfsimky.jpgf

On the advice of people here, I'm not going to bother with bomb bay PE and just crack on as is. So the armourers have begun a dry fit of the bombs in the bomb bay. I'd show you, but my computer seems to be throwing a bit of a wobbly whenever I try to upload anything...still, the bombs look kind of rubbish. They look the wrong shape and size, the 4,000 pounder especially. Belcher bits do a Cookie set and SBC's for incendiaries - a standard Lanc load for city bombing. If anyone's used them, is it worth the aggravation or should I stick to the kit bombs?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Good forum, just started the Lanc' myself using PE for first time, pilot seat and area looking good at the moment for an amateur, but will be following your efforts to hopefully pick up some good tips on the way. I'll start my own forum when I've got more to show and say. Good luck for now.