Stainless Steel Tweezers

Mike

Stainless Steel Tweezers
Wilder

boxtop.jpg

Tweezers can be a very personal item, and finding a good pair can be full of disappointment if you don't get the opportunity to try before you part with your cash. I have one pair that I guard jealously from careless (small) fingers, and curse vociferously if I drop them inadvertently for fear of ruining the tip, which has happened a few times so far to such an extent that I have had to reform the tips, which resulted in them being a little smaller than they were.

range.jpg

Please excuse the grainy scan from the small inlay card.

This new range of tweezers from Wilder have pointed tips (my personal favourite for close work), and come in a range of five types. They are non-ferrous, so they won't stick to your magnetic tool holder, and are allegedly acid resistant, although I have no way of testing that! Made from a fine quality steel, they are coated with a textured black lacquer that terminates short of the tip, which is hand finished to a fine point. Out of the packaging they have a small plastic cover to protect the tip both from damage and from damaging you if you slip while you're opening the pack. These things really are quite sharp, and if you slip they will draw blood.

sprue1.jpg

My standard test for grip is to try and pick up a hair on the back of my hand, which both the straight (02) and angled (04) types managed to do very well. They fall easy to hand for a medium sized Neanderthal like myself, but anyone with a large hand may find the 03 their best option because it is a shade larger than the others. Whether it's the black finish, but they seem smaller than they actually are, but they say that black is a slimming colour, even though it doesn't seem to work for me. In use they have a nice smooth action that doesn't require too much pressure to close, without being overly slack, and in their relaxed state are approximately 12mm apart, allowing you to grip and hold larger items. My previous favourite tweezers only open to 6mm, which is sometimes inconvenient, so these Wilder tweezers could find a place in my regular arsenal of modelling tools.

Conclusion
A very nicely tooled and presented set of tweezers with a choice of five from the range. Keeping the little covers would be a good idea to help with longevity and blood loss, although the metal seems plenty strong enough to serve you for many years. Not cheap at a shade over £10 at time of writing, but good tools last for years.

Highly recommended.

bin.jpg

Review sample courtesy of
logo.jpg

Very nice. Really good tweezers are expensive, but there is an element of getting what you pay for. For model-making, where they will get an easy life, they should last forever. Thanks for a useful review.

These types of tweezers are widely used in printed circuit board fabrication and electronics assembly and repair, so even if you can't find the Wilder brand near you, there should be generic electronics tweezers of similar design available. I actually thought these would be a bit too small (which just shows how new I am, and that I haven't done any PE yet :P) for modelling but now I will have to get a set and try them out!

Agree completely that good tweezers are so important in our chosen hobby. My set of stainless steel tweezers were acquired from UMM-USA, and are made by SRI in India. SRI is a subsidiary of Tweezercraft Industries. How can you go wrong with a name like that? :)

Like the samples reviewed here, mine can draw blood too. Ask me how I know! I do like the black lacquer on these Wilder tweezers, as that may provide a bit of no-slip grip.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'd been debating whether to buy some of these for some time so after reading the review I did. I'm very impressed with them as well. I don't mind paying good money for quality tools, so thanks for the review.

Tim.

• Like 1