Revell 1/72 F-14D Tomcat VF-2 Bounty Hunters 'Bullet 100' 2003

Hi all and here's the latest from me - finished for the KUTA group build here.
I always wanted to model an F-14 getting ready to launch with dropped flaps etc so decided to take a knife to the original Revell kit a couple of years back...and then lost all interest. She has been in stuffed away in a box on the shelf of doom for ages and I finally got the finger out and finished it for the GB.
Not my finest build and some inaccuracies here and there but I had a lot of fun and am really happy to have it finished at last. The full build log is here but in summary...
Kit: 04195 Revell 1/72 F-14D Tomcat
Paints: All brush painted - Revell Aqua Colour acrylics, Future, Flory Models wash, W&N Matt Varnish
Decals: From Hobby Boss F-14D kit for BuNo163894 VF-2 Bounty Hunters, CAG jet USS Constellation
Extras:
Hasegawa - pilots, wing sweep bladders, BOL rails, Lantirn pod and weapons
Hobby Boss - catapult nose gear
Wing slats/flaps - kits' own and scratchbuilt
The real a/c was delivered to the US Navy in 1990 and served with a couple of squadrons before transferring to VF-2 squadron aboard USS Constellation in the late 90s. In 2001, the plane became the CAG jet with the callsign 'Bullet 100' and dropped over 55 bombs during operations in Iraq in 2003. The big stripe markings apparently are called 'Langley Stripes', in honour of when this squadron served in the 1920s aboard the USS Langley, the first American aircraft carrier.
Revell_F14D_Tomcat_VF2_Bullet100_fronted
Revell_F14D_Tomcat_VF2_Bullet100_Righted
Revell_F14D_Tomcat_VF2_Bullet100_reared_
Revell_F14D_Tomcat_VF2_Bullet100_under_e

Revell_F14D_Tomcat_VF2_Bullet100_profile

Thanks for looking and comments welcomed!

Dermot

Edited by Dermo245
  • Like 17

Looking good.

Just a couple of tips, should you want to build another Tomcat in the future:

- The air intake "ceiling" (the moving part) is usually gray. At least, the visible part of it.

The air intakes inside are a major PITA to paint on the Tomcat as they have somehow complex shapes.

See picture here (that's one variation): http://www.lizpope.com/Miramar98/Fighters/F14_Tomcat/f14intake.jpg

- Circa year 2000, most Tomcats had received a GPS upgrade, which was given away by a small bump on the spine between the two antennas.

Easy to reproduce with a streched sprue brought close to a flame. It will make a half sphere-ish.

See here: http://www.anft.net/f-14/f14-detail-gps.htm

• Like 1

• 1 year later...