1/72 dh dove

Mike Esposito

Strange, as my First Rareplanes kit when it came out only had the option for one tailplane, I just had a look at the Hannants one and that is the same

Does give the options for the two different engines though

This is from the Hannants edition, which is exactly the same as the original Rareplane kit

DSC_4621_zpse12aa1f8.jpg

As the difference in the tailplane is just the elevator horn on one side being square it was just a matter of sanding one back to shape to suit the aircarft being modelled. Early Doves had two round elevator horns. As I understand it the Mod was to reduce a tailplane vibration due to prop wash.

This thread may inspire me to dig out of long term storage my Rarepalanes Dove which I built as G-ARDE in the garb she flew in during her time on the airshow circuit 28 years ago and restore it.

The Rareplanes kit only has the curved symmetrical taiplanes, it is down to the modeller to cut the tailplane sqaure to give a asemetric tailplane

The kit only has the curved tips but instructions mention the assymetric tail option for some airframes.

16461978082_2d12a38d2c_o.jpg

I have dug both my Doves out, here are my observations:

Rareplanes

- Injection moulded u/c and props.

- One sheet of styrene

- Decals

- Clear styrene browned and probably unusable.

Hannants

- White metal u/c and props

- Two sheets of styrene (one large sheet same as the Rareplanes, second small sheet with the asymmetric tailplane)

- No decals (possibly lost?)

- Clear styrene, is fine and useable and includes two sets of both canopies options

Both have the same set of instructions (photocopied) - other than the clear styrene the Rareplanes styrene has aged better.

Marty...

Edited by marty_hopkirk
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Strange, as my First Rareplanes kit when it came out only had the option for one tailplane, I just had a look at the Hannants one and that is the same

Does give the options for the two different engines though

This is from the Hannants edition, which is exactly the same as the original Rareplane kit

DSC_4621_zpse12aa1f8.jpg

Where do you lot get your sticky mitts on these things?

I've had my eye open for one ever since Geoff Prentice(now there's a name for you all)built one

way back in the Dark Ages for Scale Models but to no avail.

I did batter a Heron into submission some years ago(still have it),it looks like a Dove-ish in a certain light

wearing very dark glasses and if you squint quite a lot at it.....................

• Like 1

It was either in one of the boxes on the Collectakit stand or the 2 for a fiver boxes on The Aviation Bookshop stand on the same wall. I did think about it, but after nabbing a pair at Telford 2013 for a quid each(!), I thought I had enough. I did relieve them of a Rareplanes Supermarine 224 and a lot of Aeroclub Spitfire bits though!

I don't think anyone has mentioned the Vami 1/72 scale resin kit. It is very high quality (perhaps not quite up to CMR standard, but very, very close) and last time I looked, was priced around the same as the Top Gun kit at Aviation Megastore.

I have wondered if the Top Gun kit is actually a repop of the Vami kit...?

Miggers, if I'd known you were after one, I'd have picked up that one I saw yesterday for £3!

Jeez Wooks,drat,drat and double drat.Which show did you espy that at?

My Boss would faint if I pogged out 30+sovs for the Vami or whatever it is.

Edited by Miggers

Jeez Wooks,drat,drat and double drat.Which show did you espy that at?

My Boss would faint if I pogged out 30+sovs for the Vami or whatever it is.

'uddersfield.

I don't think anyone has mentioned the Vami 1/72 scale resin kit. It is very high quality (perhaps not quite up to CMR standard, but very, very close) and last time I looked, was priced around the same as the Top Gun kit at Aviation Megastore.

I have wondered if the Top Gun kit is actually a repop of the Vami kit...?

Given Vami's somewhat flexible ethics, I'd suspect that the Vami kit is a clone of the Top Gun one. There was a lot of Vami copies of various Unicraft Luftwaffe 46 types and it goes without saying that the resin used was far superior.

Excellent. Thanks Chris. Do you know if that kit comes with both types of tails? I'd like to do a particular aircraft that had the engines converted but not the tailplane. I'm trying to find an inbox review with no luck.

Thanks

Edited by tonyp
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 2/1/2015 at 7:06 PM, John Aero said:

If trying to convert a Heron to a Dove, Note, the Heron fuselage is deeper (roof higher) than the Dove, A common mistake.

John

Hi John, sorry about the delayed response! Over on the current Group build 'Shelf of Shame' I've resurrected a conversion I started from from an Alan W Hall/Airfix Mag article of a Dove from a Heron conversion many yonks (a Scottish measurement of geological time) ago. I'd been wondering why the windows looked too small when by chance I found your quote. Do you have any idea what the height difference you mention is? By comparing line drawings of the two side views, it seems (though low res drawings are not helping much) that the difference might actually be top AND bottom. That would make sense if the thicker cross section of the Heron was accommodated by deepening the fuselage so the cabin floor did not have to be raised (thats what I did to make things fit!). Your comments would be appreciated - I'll copy them over to the current page. There is a Sea Devon being built from the Magna kit (ouch!) on the Airliner III Group build - I wonder if that kit has the fuselage height correct.