Spitfire Mk.II and the Battle of Britain

DominikS

Hi Everyboby

So far I have been gathering info about Spitfires Mk.I in the BoB. But AFAIK there were also Spitfires Mk.II. So far, again, I have found only two photos of that Mark but both are unclear - one is EB-J (the serial number unclear) of No 41 Sqn and the second is UO without aircraft indyvidual letter of 266 Sqn (found in two A. Price's books). I was wondering if you could help and share other photos of the BoB Spitfires Mk.II. I will be very grateful for them as I want to build some Spitfires Mk.II from the Battle of Britain.

Cheers

Dominik....waiting impatiently for the new Eduard's Spitfire

Hi Everyboby

So far I have been gathering info about Spitfires Mk.I in the BoB. But AFAIK there were also Spitfires Mk.II. So far, again, I have found only two photos of that Mark but both are unclear - one is EB-J (the serial number unclear) of No 41 Sqn and the second is UO without aircraft indyvidual letter of 266 Sqn (found in two A. Price's books). I was wondering if you could help and share other photos of the BoB Spitfires Mk.II. I will be very grateful for them as I want to build some Spitfires Mk.II from the Battle of Britain.

as the Price book states in the photo of the 266 Sq plane, photos are rare, remember unauthorised photography was banned, and photographing new kit even more so.

The 41 Sq EB-J may not be a Mk II, but a Mk I with a Rotol prop.

http://forum.keypublishing.com/showthread.php?87258-Spitfire-Mk-I-II-and-IIa-s-Prop-fittings

41sqdn-ebj.jpg

Possibly is a Mk II, as looks to have a Coffman starter bulge, compare with Mk II P7420 below (edited for clarity, see post below)

spitfire-2-p7420.jpg

http://www.spitfireperformance.com/spitfire-II.html

Hopefully some of my partly informed post will cause the real Spitfire cognoscenti to come and post some proper information ;)

HTH

T

If you click the bottom RH image on the page (the thumbnail showing the side profiles) it will open in a pop-up box. It's an image of one side of the instructions not a pdf, but it should open large enough for you to be able to read it.

Stewart

Thanks for your posts. I'm gonna build the one from No 19 Sqn, although the one from No 41 Sqn is also interesting. While looking for photos I've found a short film on YouTube with a Spitfire from No 266 Sqn landing. It's the one I've found in A.Price's books. Unfortunately I can't catch the serial number. Next time I'll post the link to that film and maybe someone will be able to help me with this issue.

Thanks for your posts. I'm gonna build the one from No 19 Sqn, although the one from No 41 Sqn is also interesting. While looking for photos I've found a short film on YouTube with a Spitfire from No 266 Sqn landing. It's the one I've found in A.Price's books. Unfortunately I can't catch the serial number. Next time I'll post the link to that film and maybe someone will be able to help me with this issue.

IIRC the serial of the 266 Sq is noted in the Price book, The Spitfire Story, . Not to hand, so can't check at the mo.