AVG Hawk 81-A-2

Terrible picture, but the sidewalls got a gentle drybrush with Tamiya flat aluminium (as used for the seat) and a matt black wash. This will be enough I think.

15789568494_6beda153f7_b.jpgUntitled by jongwinnett, on Flickr

I need to add belts or a driver, I've read various comments, is the consensus (if one exists) that these got full US style harnesses, rather than either lap belts only or Sutton harnesses, both of which I've seen mentioned?

• Like 1

Nice start this is becoming Airfix P40 Group Build

Les

Difficult to resist when such promising base kits are available so widely. I know I said it was to be an OOB build, but the hydraulic lever annoyed me, so it was replaced with a Peco track pin, turned down to reduce the head size a little:

16229576818_d1a3df0d83_b.jpgReplacement hydraulic lever by jongwinnett, on Flickr

This was added to the pit along with Eduard super fabric USAAF belts:

15794749774_91f5b6ae85_b.jpgThe office by jongwinnett, on Flickr

16231016409_75dc35b1de_b.jpgEduard super fabric belts by jongwinnett, on Flickr

I managed to get the control column off the sprue, only to break it cleaning up the seam line. Guesstimated a replacement from brass rod with the grip build up from PVA:

16229974630_0876223b5b_b.jpgReplacement control column by jongwinnett, on Flickr

Then I closed up the fuselage and went to the pub!

16229589248_ab049d8956_b.jpgFuselage closed up by jongwinnett, on Flickr

• Like 1

Thanks guys. The pub was excellent, several happy hours with friends, all our kids enjoying themselves together and the adults just kicking back and relaxing. Not sure what it was inspirational for, but it for sure was good for the soul.

As you can see in the picture above, I had begun gluing the cowling from the cockpit forwards. It didn't sit quite straight in relation to the fuselage, and despite clamping over night is still fractionally off line, although any error is so small as to be virtually undetectable - filling will disguise what gaps remain. Had this been anything other than a quickie I might be frustrated by this, but I suspect it's another case where I can see the error now, but on the finished model it will be hopefully invisible.

Managed to get to the shop at lunchtime so now have some 0.6mm OD tube which should be a sliding fit over the 0.4 tube I already had, this should enable me to show the distinctive shape of the wing guns, and possibly also the nose guns? I know, I know, each time it's a step away from OOB but it's all good fun.

I also picked up some Revell Acrylic paint to try for the dark green, I had been unhappy with the Humbrol I had already, and the Xtracrylic and Tamiya had worked ok, but it seemed like time to give Revell a try, especially as there have been several builds on here recently which showed them off very effectively. Some heavy weathering or fading might be in order for an AVG bird anyway, so I can modify the base colours if I'm unhappy. If they are good, then I can see me using them for the upper surfaces of K9955.

• Like 1

Well that didn't go so well. It's difficult if not impossible to cut such thin tubes without crimping the ends, and my efforts to reopen them didn't work. So in a burst of sense, I have decided to leave well alone, since this is supposed to be a quick build!

The wing guns really are not too bad. Cutting tubing with nippers is very difficult. I have only found success using a cutting wheel in a motor tool, and twirling the edge of the tube against the running disk to thin, and then cut it. Handling the tiny 'gun barrels' is then the challenge. I make lots and sacrifice a proportion to the carpet monster.

I'm really looking forward to seeing this one painted up.

• Like 1

16257638540_6163407f7c_b.jpgRevell camouflage colours by jongwinnett, on Flickr

The Revell colours don't look too bad, although the dark earth may need a second coat, it's quite orange and to my eyes at least, looks a little off for the RAF colour, although it might tone down nicely with a dark wash. On the other hand, it looks like a promising base for a weathered and dusty AVG aircraft.

• Like 2

Looks rather rougher in the photos than in the flesh. Hopefully once decaled and flat coated it will look like a pale grey covered in dirt streak blown rearwards in the slipstream. The monsoon is a mucky business...

Any suggestions for the canvas coverings in the wheel wells? I've read they were coloured the same as the undersides, I think, or were they zinc chromate, or something else entirely?

Edited by 06/24

Nicely done sir. Those superfabric belts are a hoot, I'm not sure if they're better to look at than the super crisp etched ones but are so much easier to put on. Re the wheel wells, see Mungo The Greats reply re "Zinc Chromate", any bleedin' colour you like just like Curtiss but the canvas coverings seem to be anything from tan to dark brown, I'm going for a light tan and then loads of wash and grim(e) when I build mine.

Anil

• Like 2