1/72 Twogar conversion and F-8 Danang 1966

The Hunter and Killer- fast FAC with CAG's F-8

Danang AB, Vietnam- 1966

MAG 11, H&MS 13

Both are Hasegawa kits, the Cougar- I modified using a Falcon Triple Conversion set. Had to print my own decals for the Twogar. Significantly, the USMC Twogars were the only of the Cougar fighter family to serve in combat. Thanks for looking!

Brianpost8_zpsb2c7af50.jpgpost7_zps34f40596.jpgpost3_zpsfb9215d7.jpgpost1_zpsf841314b.jpg

• Like 7

Hi,

really like this duo. Have built the very same Crusader with the same markings option and always wondered if there was a TF-9J in 1/72. Have found the original in Squdron Signal´s Air War in Southeast Asia Vol 1. Great presentation, too!

Cheers,

Mario

Thanks Mario. I first saw the TF-9J in a book called Sharks Teeth Nose Art and have been intrigued ever since I thought they would look neat together in flight. I tilted the observer's head upward, as if he's checking the load out on the F-8. Either that or he's crapping his flight suit due to the close proximity of the Crusader!

• Like 1

Pilots from Hasegawa set? Have also a Cougar kit in the stash. Equipped my Crusader with Sidewinders although I think it would have been better to leave them empty as you did or scratchbuild some rocket launchers from sprue for Marines F-8s.

Thanks Russ. Mario- the pilots are indeed from the Hasegawa set. I need to get another or start making resin copies. I have decided to pose more of my aircraft in flight and since they're mostly not drones... With regard to your Crusader- AIM-9 load out with bombs- I think that with a shore based F-8 you were more likely to see it loaded at maximum. Landing at Danang, the pilot would have to think less about bring aboard weight than if launched and recovered from a carrier. I have seen photo evidence both with and without, so I think it's really up to you. BTW, Mario I just saw your trio of huns- they look awesome!

Hi Brian (hope, this is correct),

problem with the Hasegawa set is that there are only three sitting pilots in it. An alternative are the Revell NATO pilots although in my personal opinion the Hasegawa figures look better. Have still a lot of Monogram figures from the F-105 D kits which come with two pilots. Resin casting should be very difficult.

BTW: Thank you for the kind comment regarding my Huns!

Cheers,

Mario

• Like 1

I like the "twogar" version of the Cougar better than the single seat version...some aircraft are like that. The F-100 looks better w/ two seats as does the F-106. The Hawker Hunter on the other hand, looks hands down better as a single seater!

Nice job, Brian! I especially like the Cougar - that's one you definitely don't see every day. That's one on my ever-growing to build list (I think I may already have the Falcon parts for the conversion, but I still need the kit).

Regards,

Jason