HobbyBoss: Soviet T-35 Heavy Tank - 'Early'

I built an ICM kit that I seriously thought of putting in the washing machine to clean. It looked like it had been dipped in wax :yikes: Then the colour of the plastic started bleeding through the paint. Really fought me did that kit.

I think that the T-35 needs a jack staff at the rear with a flag party on the engine deck. :bleh:

• Like 1

Just in case you were wondering!

Bogie Units were roughed up and partially gouged out with a file for a worn effect see the before (l) & after ®.

The paint is Vallejo Panzer Aces 306 Dark Rubber with Model Air mixed 70:30 and water to thin down.

5000917_orig.jpg

These were done whilst I was waiting for the Surface Primer to dry on my 3 Angel Interceptors which I am doing for our Club Group Build.

Hopefully, these will be completed for the display at the East Midlands Show on 29th March along with this build and my BA-10, GAZ-AAA and GMC Fuel Truck

• Like 1

I've been busy tonight :evil_laugh:

With an all-over wash with MiG's Dark Wash, the model was left for a couple of hours to dry off.

The Vallejo Dark Rubber Acrylic is there for perspective to show just how big this beastie truly is.

4923962_orig.jpg

After the Wash was dry, a 2nd wash of my own mud-mix was applied and allowed to dry.

3931809_orig.jpg

The bogie units were dealt with separately using the very same mixes.

8156072_orig.jpg

The rear view with the basic wash and a soft mud-mix. More on this later once the track & sides are added.

7064358_orig.jpg

The front with a more muddy look which will change over time.

7361704_orig.jpg

The side skirts have had a heavier weathering of 3 layers of differing mixes (the last my own recipe).

2423262_orig.jpg

All of the Turrets have receive the unifying MiG Dark Wash although the weathering here should be a lot softer.

5204349_orig.jpg

Sorry that this segment is a bit picture heavy but I think it's worth it.

Hope you like!

More of the same tomorrow

• Like 5

OK, here we go - now that the side armour is secure and the modified weathering has taken place, this is an update for you on progress.

You can see that the sides now have a downwards streaky finish (I still have the brackets to secure.

7473757_orig.jpg

Personally I thinks it looks a whole lot better this way.

Still plenty to do yet though.

2635378_orig.jpg

Watch this space!

Edited by Shermaniac

:popcorn:

so is this T-35, release agent aside,a whole lot better than the ICM example?

Have one of those in the stash, but may trade in if the new one is that much better...must say, it looks as though it probably is.

:popcorn:

so is this T-35, release agent aside,a whole lot better than the ICM example?

Have one of those in the stash, but may trade in if the new one is that much better...must say, it looks as though it probably is.

One of my Club Guys has the ICM kit and will be bringing his build to the East Midlands Model Show on 29th March (probably won't see him before then) and I will be making a comparison at that time.

I can say that ICM Kit has an interior, this does not (Whether details can be exchanged I know not)

Edited by Shermaniac

Just in case you thought I'd forgot about this build, I've just painted (sprayed) the tracks

awkward little B's it was like trying to give a Cat a Bath!!!

:bounce::frantic::tomato:

I do however have a suggestion to those who do a lot of Airbrushing.

It always pays to occasionally strip down your airbrush and give it a good clean :coolio: , over and above your normal.

I've just spent the best part of 90mins doing just that to 2 of mine and I was shocked at the amount of gunk that I got out of them :doh:

So now, they have had a full service and M.O.T and are good to go! :thumbsup:

Be sure that you adjust the settings you have been using as it will be just like new.

• Like 1

One of my Club Guys has the ICM kit and will be bringing his build to the East Midlands Model Show on 29th March (probably won't see him before then) and I will be making a comparison at that time.

I can say that ICM Kit has an interior, this does not (Whether details can be exchanged I know not)

that would be good....ta!

• Like 1

ICM 's interior is good , but the best is the engine & drive gear:

I bet a decent modeller could cross kit these easily.

Thread hijack unintended!

Ah yes!, but only if he had both kits!!! Steve.

• Like 1

I have been busy

Completing the track

Using Vallejo Panzer Aces 304 Track Primer mixed with a little Model Air Black and thinned I lightly sprayed both tracks repeatedly.

You can see a slight 'brownish' hue to the paint - this is good for Russian Track.

5777719_orig.jpg

During the spraying process, it was like trying to bath a cat! the track was whipping around and seemed to be fighting me but, I got there in the end.

I then left the track for a couple of hours to dry off.

6384071_orig.jpg

Once dry made sure they were still flexible and checked for any areas I might have missed.

Afterwards I brushed some 8B graphite across the raised areas, with my finger, to create a 'used' look for the track.

This HobbyBoss Indy Track is 'the business' an I was just able to thread it through the gaps and around the road wheels.

I think it looks really good as it is but some dusting will need to be done to bring the whole model together.

320515_orig.jpg

But, more on that later.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

*IT'S FINISHED!*

Well then! This has been probably one of my favourite builds of the last few years.

HobbyBoss have provided us with an absolutely stunning kit which (any accuracy issues aside - and no, I haven't checked) absolutely goes together really quickly with a good fit to the parts.

The finished model lends itself to a light weathering due - in part - to its relatively slow speed and maneuverability.

1942700_orig.jpg

Thought I'd provide a little perspective on this build.

The Soviet T-35 Heavy Tank & French Renault UE are BOTH the same scale :doh:

Full range of pics on the Gallery page

• Like 5