HobbyBoss: Soviet T-35 Heavy Tank - 'Early'

Day 7 update

PAINT ...... is on the model !!!!

:thumbsup::yahoo::thumbsup:

Vallejo Black Primer - crackin stuff Gromit!

almost as good as Cheeeeeese.....

Everything has now been tucked away from dust to harden and de-gas!

And that's why there's no pictures - you all know what Black looks like so I won't bore you with it. :sleep_1:

Track painting is next which will be:

Layer 1: undercoat in Model Air Black (wait 20-30 minutes - or have a cuppa!)

Layer 2: Vallejo Panzer Aces Track Colour (wait 5-10 minutes)

Layer 3:Track Colour will then have some Black & Steel added and sprayed finely (wait 5-10 minutes)

Layer 4: Vallejo Model Air Steel with Black added and sprayed finely to catch the edges (leave to cure overnight)

• Like 2

Day 7

OK, so I lied! But this Vallejo Primer Black is top stuff. You can see here my trusty Spray Booth (and Yes! I was wearing a respirator).

And Yes! I need to change the filter, AND give the Booth a good clean too. :nono:

4628822_orig.jpg

The bogies look darned good, this primer seems to 'shrink-wrap' each part and leaves a superb finish for the top coat.

6227932_orig.jpg

Looks all D-A-R-K and imposing doesn't it. These pics were taken just before I applied the Vallejo Model Air Russian Green.

Apologies over the picture quality.

7422973_orig.jpg

The Tank now has a coat of Vallejo Model Air, Russian Green and it took nearly 3/4 of a bottle.

So make sure that you start a fresh bottle when you're spraying this beauty!

I'll give it a once-over later to see if I've missed anything

Edited by Shermaniac
  • Like 4

Day 7 update part 2

After determining that the Russian Green had covered the model I applied Johnson Klear Polish to the areas where decals were to be added.

7596290_orig.jpg

Once the Klear had dried, I detached each decal in turn and soaked it in a water bath until it released from the backing paper. I apply decals using Micro Set and Micro Sol.

After the decal is ready, apply Micro Set to the model then slide the decal onto the desired area and fix into place. (use a kleenex or cotton bud).

2337196_orig.jpg

Once the decal is fixed into place, take some Micro Set and brush it over the decal. This will soften the decal and it will almost shrink into any area.

Now, you don't have much time working with Micro Set/Sol so you have to concentrate on what you're doing or mistakes will occur. And Yes, I made a couple...

7136584_orig.jpg

Another decal option was Yellow/White but these look fine so far. They will now receive a coat of Klear to seal them in then, the whole vehicle will be Matt Varnished.

Day 8 options

Running Gear - paint the tyres and install to vehil

Track - Paint it

Vehicle - Varnish it

Edited by Shermaniac
  • Like 3

Really got a move on with this.

Do you not find that the kleer, once varnished over, is a different colour to the rest?

W

Nope, never really had an issue with it. But I tend to varnish a whole panel when I'm doing decals.

This then means that when matt varnish is applied any difference is less noticed.

Looking good . Man u sure use that spray booth ..

Great job so far .

Rick

I know Shermaniac and he's a messy so-and-so! :clown:

For those of us who feel a bit intimidated by the speed I should, for the record, explain that Al is correct in stating that he doesn't spend ALL his spare time on the model, however a look at his posting times tells you he keeps very long hours.

Great work there Chap should see it next weekend.

I know Shermaniac and he's a messy so-and-so! :clown:

For those of us who feel a bit intimidated by the speed I should, for the record, explain that Al is correct in stating that he doesn't spend ALL his spare time on the model, however a look at his posting times tells you he keeps very long hours.

Great work there Chap should see it next weekend.

I think untidy Nick, but that's the upstairs Model Lab and Spray Centre. Finding the time away from Model making to actually tidy up is such a confusing prospect.

My speed of build is down to building what I want to, rather than that I feel I ought to and I can. when needed, totally concentrate on the task at hand.

I have incidentally, now applied a Matt Varnish to the whole model (sub-assemblies) ready for the final stages. The T-35 is currently curing upstairs!

The Track is yet to be painted - I thought I'd finish the vehicle part first.

• Like 1

That is just ace - great detail however I started AFV modelling to take a little less display space than 1/48 a/c - think I may have to avoid this one! Only joking - looks a 'must-have' :thumbsup:

• Like 1

That is just ace - great detail however I started AFV modelling to take a little less display space than 1/48 a/c - think I may have to avoid this one! Only joking - looks a 'must-have' :thumbsup:

I'd always wanted one of these beasts but the ICM kit came along too early for me (wasn't so heavily into Russian stuff back then) and although it had a reasonable good interior setup (all pretty new-age at the time) I didn't get one - then they were gone!

So, to the HobbyBoss kit - easy to assemble for the most part, good rendering of parts, clean lines and the instructions are well laid out.

• Like 1

Day 8 of the build

The exhaust: was done starting with the original black primer. A feint overspray with the Russian Green to accent the piece followed by applying MiG powders.

1302916_orig.jpg

First, apply Old Rust (P230) across all the exhaust, then spot Rail Rust (P238) followed by Light Rust (P024).

Add specks of Black Smoke (P023) to the outlet and bracing joints and smudge together.

Apply Pigment Fixer

4185280_orig.jpg

Not much more movement on this today as yet as I'm covering 2-3 other build projects as well.

Let's see what I come up with next time?

• Like 4

The quality of your work is really evident from these photos - I thought you'd posted some images of the real thing for reference! Superb! Well done.

Oh! you flatterer you! ..................................... But thanks for that :thumbsup:

I also get to play with my shiny new Fuji Finepix S1 DSLR Bridge Camera and I'm learning all about how to maximise it's use.

• Like 1

very very nice.....

quick question on Vallejo primer - just ordered some (I went for a boring grey one) - does it need thinning before airbrushing or is it OK straight form the bottle? if it does need thinning - what with?

look forward to more progress

very very nice.....

quick question on Vallejo primer - just ordered some (I went for a boring grey one) - does it need thinning before airbrushing or is it OK straight form the bottle? if it does need thinning - what with?

look forward to more progress

Thinning Vallejo Primer - Nope! never had too. Just give it a darned good shake up then blast away.

This stuff will pretty effectively shrink-wrap your model. You MUST leave it 24-48 hours to properly go off though.

However, If you need to do some sanding on it to make repairs, IT WILL PEEL! Now, not to worry, 'coz you can also brush paint this stuff too and it also acts a bit like a liquid filler (do not confuse however with 'actual' filler).