HobbyBoss 81011 Soviet T-35 Heavy Tank Track-Links

T-35Landship.jpg

Day 1: Official start time will be 12:00 noon, Saturday 31st January 2015

Oh Yes! I'm back!!!

Edited by Shermaniac
  • Like 2

OK, here we go!

7101306_orig.jpg

This is going to be a HUGE model as the Hull alone is 265mm in length.

2071088_orig.jpg

There are also 5 turrets in 3 types as part of the construction.

There are plenty of sprues of bits on this one, and 3 sheets of PE to keep me busy. :thumbsup:

Progress so far before I have a break for dinner.

A few elastic bands are all that are needed to fix the first 3 parts together as it kept popping out.

After a little clean-up the running gear mounts are attached. All parts are a very neat fit with no issues.

2537136_orig.jpg

There are 15 plastic and 4 PE parts to each of the 8 bogie units.

8724939_orig.jpg

The bogie unit assembled with the PE parts still to add.

8101387_orig.jpg

6 more Bogies to build

Dinner time folks!

Edited by Shermaniac
  • Like 5

Day 1: and it's after dinner

With all the bogie units completed (none are glued to the hull), the vehicle sits well on all 32 wheels.

The rear fan arrangement is a perfect fit to the hull (it is still unglued) but I added some Mr Surfacer 500 to level out the casting.

3285752_orig.jpg

Even now, this is an imposing and impressive beast.

2791891_orig.jpg

The Main and 2 middle turrets have been placed on the model for effect.

The figure is for perspective just to show how big this build truly is.

7723602_orig.jpg

I'll continue on with this tonight but won't post any new details until tomorrow.

Edited by Shermaniac
  • Like 4

Day 2: Small steps today with some minor building and PE work.

It's time to add some metal so, it's the engine air intakes each comprising 3 PE parts.

Parts marked by a Uni-Ball Signo Gel pen, Angelic White obtained from 'The Range'

1646018_orig.jpg

Top view of more PE on the main turret housing and the general arrangement of the upper works.

Corresponding numbers on deck area for correct intake placement.

(No major pieces have been glued in the making of this report)

9234571_orig.jpg

With all the turret shells added this beast is currently 280mm long, 100mm high and 92mm wide.

1574810_orig.jpg

Currently everything, attached to the hull can be removed except the exhaust shroud.

Somehow, I've got to paint it all :guitar:

Day 3 target:

More work on each turret - add weapons, hatches etc and head towards completion

Additional running gear works - complete the PE on bogie units, construct drive sprockets, Idlers and return rollers

Upper deck - superstructure works and additional fittings

:bye: for now folks!

• Like 3

Wow! Who has been a busy boy? That's a pretty impressive start there Al.

Your figure looks remarkably like the baddie in FarScape!

Is the first line in your signature aimed at me by any chance?

No Nick, it's aimed squarely at me. But you can use it if you want to.

Day 3: Fiddly bits and some finesse

Construction of the main armament for the 3 larger turrets is complete along with some smaller fittings.

3843855_orig.jpg

Parts PE-A13 attached to plastic parts B2. these will be attached to the turret light fittings once painted.

5473785_orig.jpg

Side skirts fit issue resolved. The instructions state to fix panels H2, H3, J5 & J16/22 to the Hull sides, but I fixed them to the side skirts H1 & H14.

Once they are almost dry I test fitted them onto the hull (not glued yet), locating the pins & holes to secure the correct fit.

8172131_orig.jpg

I secured the side skirts at the attachment points with elastic bands to ensure an even pressure.

There are a few PE parts around the forward section of the hull on the guide wheel fitting.

3715789_orig.jpg

Can't do much more with the Hull tonight.

So, more turret work!

Day 4:

Hull fittings - Lights, Grab Handles etc

Secondary armament - complete turrets

Tracks - make a start on the Indy Link ones -- fingers X

Edited by Shermaniac

Day 4: TRACK DAY!

It's Track time and the HobbyBoss individual set 81011 is for me. The kit does come with link & length track anyway.

The individual link set states 135 links per side, I used 133 links and they fit fine.

1040634_orig.jpg

A detailed shot of the front idler, track and running gear with a clear view of the photo etch.

The track does fit very well and compliments the kit beautifully. And YES! it is on backwards.

9131618_orig.jpg

View from the rear and you can see that even with fewer track links, there is still 'some' sag on the top run.

9772094_orig.jpg

The fit of the track around the drive sprocket is nice and snug with no issues at all.

6779032_orig.jpg

A full side view of the finished track section along with most of the detail involved with the suspension.

6293789_orig.jpg

Well, that's one side done, now I'm off to do the other - just over 90 minutes for each side!

You can also see that the Aerial array on the main turret is also installed.

Day 5 target

Hull - detailed parts

Turrets - Secondary armaments

Other - prepare for painting! :thumbsup:

• Like 4

Day 6: CONSTRUCTION COMPLETE

Well Folks! Here we are ready for PAINT!!! There are 23 separate sub-assemblies on this build.

The main turret, with the radio aerial attached. ALL the turret hatches are taped into position.

The Track runs which are fully articulating and comprise 133 links. These were surprisingly easy to construct.

3498591_orig.jpg

You can see here: 45mm, 12.7mm turrets, exhaust, spare track links and the turret light covers.

6052243_orig.jpg

The 8 bogie units with all their PE parts attached (4 on each unit) along with the rear deck fan cover.

5084413_orig.jpg

Main Hull, with all the PE strapping attached. Now, this is prone to pinging off but I am hopeful of it surviving the painting.

5986722_orig.jpg

I haven't spent every spare moment on this build, it's just surprisingly straight forward in the build.

There are no nasty shocks and provided you don't rush at it, it will assemble very well.

Day 7 onwards...

PAINT

Now then, for me, it's our Build Club Saturday coming up so, the painting may likely start on Sunday!

But, you never know???

• Like 4