styreno

Close to the end of my Hunter T. 8M build (a Frog/ Matchbox 1/72 kitbash), and working out the things under the wings. I have seen photos of the large tanks on FRADU Hunters, and what appears to be Sidewinder rails on the outer pylons. The port station has what appears to be an aquisition round mounted.

My question is: if these are indeed Sidewinder rails, and assuming that the store is a dummy training round, were the weapon pylons wired for live Sidewinders, and did the T.8M ever carry Sidewinders? I have not been able to find photos of them in place.

TIA

Edited by styreno

Close to the end of my Hunter T. 8M build (a Frog/ Matchbox 1/72 kitbash), and working out the things under the wings. I have seen photos of the large tanks on FRADU Hunters, and what appears to be Sidewinder rails on the outer pylons. The port station has what appears to be an aquisition round mounted.

My question is: if these are indeed Sidewinder rails, and assuming that the store is a dummy training round, were the weapon pylons wired for live Sidewinders, and did the T.8M ever carry Sidewinders? I have not been able to find photos of them in place.

TIA

They were sidewinder rails, but they would have only carried dummy/acquisition rounds. It's very unlikely that they would have carried live rounds. They would have been wired for the Blue Fox radar system carried by the T8M and Sea Harrier FRS1, and used in training on that system.

As Bill has stated they carried sidewinder acquisition rounds, which were inert rocket motors but a live seeker head, all mounted on a LAU-7A launcher.

Sometimes an ACMI pod on the other side.

Pat

EDIT - serves me right for posting so late - most usual combo acquisition round and dummy round. Occasionally seen with ACMI

Edited by Pat C

Pat C - I am inspired by your build of the T.8M from 2012. Mine is a lot less sophisticated as I had no conversion parts to start with. Just a Frog Hunter, a Matchbox two-seater front end, and a Matchbox Harrier radome. Everything else scratchbuilt. Markings from Model Alliance.

I'm intrigued by your mention of dummy rounds, aquisition rounds and ACMI pods. Care to elaborate regarding the T.8M ?

I'm now looking for a photo of a T.8M carrying an aquisition round on the port, and an ACMI pod on the starboard pylon (or reversed).

Glad you liked my Hunter, Styreno!!! There is something about the T8M that I particularly like - I might try and build all three of them eventually. I have corrected my post above which was done in haste as I now recall that most of the pics that I thought were ACMI pods turned out to be dummy 'winder rounds. I will point TEZ in the direction of this thread who did a wonderful 1/32 Hunter with an ACMI pod and will be more helpful than I am able.

Your build sounds awesome and I am looking forward to seeing it on RFI - which scheme are you doing - XDSG over white or DSG?

Pat

Pat C - don't anticipate 'awsome' until it is finished. This has already been a long term build, mainly due to the lack of accurate info that I could find.

I will be finishing it in the overall DSG scheme. XL 580, 899 NAS, 1992. (That's right off the decal instructions. I assume it is correct)

Thanks for the 'correction' on the ACMI pod. Maybe mine will have a dummy load as well.

Here's a photo of the model done a while ago. It is a little further along now. I'd like to get the DSG on this weekend. I'm not bothering to do anything fancy with the cockpit, just a bit of paint, and will be using the Matchbox canopy, warts and all.

T8M_frog1.jpg

• Like 1

Hi,

Not really much to add but I based my Hunter T.8M on a photo found in the Osprey Airbase series Deci - The aircraft carries 100 gallon tanks, AIM-9 acquisition round on the stbd outboard pylon and an ACMI pod on the port outer. Looking forward to seeing the finished model.

regards

Andrew