Modelsvit 1/72 VVA-14 Bartini

We all have some aircraft that have "something" that attracts us.

Well, here's my "Ive always wanted to build this craft"

Some say it's an ugly beast, for me it's one of those craft I hope to see it for real one day at the Monino museum near Moscow.

The kit, a limited edition, only 1000 are manufactured, so a 50/50 chance of getting one.

But since two weeks I can say I'm the happy owner of one of the 1000! :yahoo:

A first quick view in the box showed some nice detail, but as I got started it became obvious it's a short run, so much dryfitting is absolutely neccesary.

Well, here we go, the first pictures!

bartini2.jpg

IMG_4160.jpg

First made the wheelbay in the center fuselage, and yes, the first Evergreen is used, many will follow.

IMG_4157.jpg

Trusses placed in the center fuselage

IMG_4158.jpg

Top and bottom glued together which took some effort, because there was much tension between the halves.

IMG_4159.jpg

Next to an 1/72 Airfix Mustang for the size of the beast

And the interior with two resin ejection seats which I had in my stash

IMG_4160_1.jpg

And the first float attached

IMG_4161_1.jpg

Inside of the float reinforced with 0.13 Evergreen, use a little bit more glue ande the Evergreen gets weak, en lets itself mould in the shape of the model.

IMG_4162_1.jpg

Second float is on the bench now, so next update, both floats will be attatched.

Dave

• Like 7

Great progress Dave - I'll be following with interest as yours is only the second one I have seen built (after mine that is).......

vva-14_93.jpg

vva-14_94.jpg

BTW, that photo of the real thing at Monino is actually the later, redesigned 14M1P ekranoplan - with a stretched front fuselage and rigid floats.

Ken

PS - Put some weight in the nose before fitting it to the fuselage - it is a tail-sitter. I had to put mine in the front wheel bay after I had finished building - and it still wobbles !!

Edited by Flankerman
  • Like 4

Dave,

I looked at the first picture of the real Bartini and thought it looked like a heavy metal Frog...

I have not see this before until Ken built his and saw his build...{ and you have his for reference right }.

It may be ugly, quirky but the beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I think it is quite nice... :coolio::wow:

Great start... you have done good work so far...keep it coming.. :speak_cool::thumbsup:

This is how it should have been - as designed by Roberto Bartini........

No undercarriage, inflatable rubber floats and 12 lift engines confering VTOL capability......

image019.jpg

I've purchased a second kit to try and make the above.

In the meantime, my build of the Modelsvit kit is here.

Dave, when you get around to painting it, note that the grey pyramid shape on the upper surface is incorrect on my build - and Modelsvit's instructions.

The Vee should extend further forward to the centre section leading edge - as shown in this video capture....

VVA-14_98.jpg

The info came too late for my build - but I hope it helps yours.

Ken

Nice to see another one started, mine's waiting patiently in the stash until the NH Details PE set is released, that'll add a fair bit to the kit. A big aircraft and just asking for super detailing........good spot with the grey triangle paint Ken, another reason to research your subjects properly.....

Dave,

Does your port wing fit into its fuselage slot OK ??

I remember mine sticking up at an angle - the stbd wing was OK - just the port side which gave a problem.

I had to scrape a lot of plastic from the angled wing recess on the fuselage before the port wing would sit correctly - and then use lots of filler on both joints.

Great progress BTW.... :thumbsup:

Ken

PS - the taiplanes and fins aren't the best of fits either.........

Elevators and main wings attatched after a lot of dryfitting and adjusting.

Flankerman said it in his topic, and my kit is the same: every single joint needs filler.

The nosesection had such an gap, I glued a piece of Evergreen between the halves.

IMG_4168.jpg

Underside of the nose section

IMG_4170.jpg

Dave

• Like 1

Dave,

I hope you don't mind me chipping in too much.......

Before you glue in that central square hatch, shave off some plastic from the 'ledge' it sits on - or remove plastic from the underside of the hatch around the perimeter - otherwise it doesn't sit flush with the surrounding surface.

But I'm sure you have that in hand anyway.............

I'm just building my second one - but I'm 'converting' it to have its original planned 12 lift engines.

I have some 32mm dia plastic pipe to make the inflated floats - but I'm pondering how to make the conical ends ??

VVA-14_99.jpg

Any thoughts anyone ???

Ken

Figure out suitable drop tanks or bombs.

Then beg for them on the forum out of

someone's spares box. 1/24th at least.

Or

Prop spinners from remote control a/c?

Failing that, lateral thinking. salt/vinegar

shakers? fishing floats may be good.

Or something along those lines.

I would probably try to make the conical ends in wood or Milliput. I suppose it would be a good idea to make just one for front and one for the back and use these as masters for vacuforming (I guess it will be easy to just pull the heated sheet over these cones by hand - without vacuum).

Ineresting build Dave. :popcorn:

Rene

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone, I'm back!

I have been struggling with the underside of the floats, there was an enormous amount of tension in the underside.

I had to fasten it with some superglue at some points, and "melt" the parts together with modelling glue.

But due to the tension this had to be done in phases, which consumed very much time.

Also done is the cockpitsection attached to the fuselage, and Evergreen and putty were also needed here to fill the gaps.

IMG_4153.jpg

IMG_4154.jpg

Dave

Edited by Dave the Doctor
  • Like 2

Great to see one being built, I also have one that will be done this year. I'm just waiting for my detail set to arrive! Have thought about buying another just to do a 'what-if' in some Eastern European colours of some sort...

So it is weird that I bought two of these then......?

One of these was actually used as a battle ground against an "End of Level Boss" in the video game "Metal Gear Solid - Snake Eater" as well, which is actually where I first saw one.

Cheers

Tony

So it is weird that I bought two of these then......?

Tony

No - perfectly normal. :thumbsup:

I'm on my second one - converting it into the intended VTOL machine - with 12 lift engines, no undercarriage and inflatable floats.

Like this.....

VVA-14%20VTOL%20002.jpg

The original build - as kitted by Modelsvit - is here.

Ken

PS - Great progress BTW Dave :worthy: - how did the wings fit - OK ???

Thanks for the comment guys!

@ Ken, I had a lot of sanding, dryfitting and adjusting to do to get the wings to fit, and stil some filler was needed.

Almost all large parts are attatched, ventral fins and tails are in their right places, next, wheelbays for the small sidewheels, and the hatch on top of the fuselage.

The moment of releasing het Harder & Steenbeck and give the monster some color is coming near!

IMG_4159_1.jpg

IMG_4158_1.jpg

Dave

• Like 1