German interior colours.

stevej60

Hi folks,not being a builder of Luftwaffe aircraft I know nothing about the colours of the interior of these aircraft,without going down the whole

RLM exterior arguments that I have seen raging here and elsewhere what was the common colour for cockpit interiors I have a couple of 109,s

a Stuka and FW 190 A8 that I want to build next,also in general was their a colour for wheel wells or just the colouring of the undersides used?

the Aircraft are the new airfix 109E/ FW190 in the series one boxings 109 trop boxing and Revells stuka (the ex Italeri boxing.Thanks in advance.

Very basics: common for cockpits is RLM66 (even for most early subjects like 109Es, JU88A-1s etc - but check photos as much as possible especially for these early types). All other interior parts (e.g. wheel wells) are RLM02.

Looking forward to replies with exceptions to the rule! :)

• Like 1

Steve its a matter of what aircraft and when. PM and I will look in my Luftwaffe's Modellers paint guide. Early 109's were RLM02 and around 1941 this change to RLM66. IMHO Mr Hobby Acrylics come ready to go. I use their thinners as well and MDC and Models R Go have a good selection, John and Bob are real gents. Cant recommend them enough. I usually by 2 x each colour to save on postage

Steve its a matter of what aircraft and when. PM and I will look in my Luftwaffe's Modellers paint guide. Early 109's were RLM02 and around 1941 this change to RLM66. IMHO Mr Hobby Acrylics come ready to go. I use their thinners as well and MDC and Models R Go have a good selection, John and Bob are real gents. Cant recommend them enough. I usually by 2 x each colour to save on postage

Thanks Sean,I tend to use Tamiya or Vellejo paints but I am sure my LMS has just put two or three stands in and this might be one of his ranges,the Stuka scheme

in Revells kit has desert or European based schemes but does not give any info on the unit or date for the European version(the one I want to do) all the others are

pre 1942 aircraft.

...Stuka scheme in Revells kit has desert or European based schemes but does not give any info on the unit or date for the European version(the one I want to do) all the others are pre 1942 aircraft.

Steve, if I recall correctly the other option is for an StG.2 aircraft from the Russian Front - the T6+CK?

Cheers,

Stew

The 1/72 is in 1941 Balkans scheme with a yellow nose - is that the one? The 1/48th one has the snake motif and an undated StG2 example - you are still talking about 1940 builds in both cases.

Thanks Graham,it,s the 1/72 kit with the yellow nose.

I'd go with RLM02 for the cockpits of the 109E and the Ju87 and RLM66 for the FW190.

That's a perfectly reasonable generalisation with which I'd agree, particularly in the absence of any strong contradictory evidence. I reckon the Fw 190 A-8 is the only certainty though!

Cheers

Steve