a pair of privateers

a friend of mine, Ron Adams, asked me once "was there anything in his stash I would like?". he was getting old and I think he knew it, and I said, to his surprise that if there was anything it was the old Matchbox Privateer. he duly fished one out, and I put it on one side to do next (months later really). to my eternal regret Ron died a few months later just after I'd picked up the Revell re-re-release from TK Max of all places. SO, in Ron's memory and honour I built the Matchbox kit as a Privateer and the Revell one as the RCAF RY3. the models look better in real life and the flash has done no favours to the silver finished model, but they are 2 of my very favourite models despite not being from very high rent boxes. great fun too.P1060596.jpgP1060593.jpg

• Like 35

They are a nice tribute to Ron and they look great,.....have you any more photos? Is the silver one the famous Rockcliffe Icebox? You seem to have done a great job cutting out all of the passenger windows on the RY-3.

Cheers,

Tony

I didn't think to take any pics while I was building them but I'll still take a few in daylight at the weekend, the flash didn't do any favours to the silver one. I used the salt weathering trick to try to make them look a bit war weary or at least used, see Chuck540Z3 essential guide to this technique. I'm not sure if the Rockliffe Ice Wagon would have been a bare metal aircraft or painted silver, but I figured it might have been painted to give it protection against the hostile environment so that for better or worse is what I went for. I tried various finished but in the end I found a Citadel silver of all things which I felt looked 'right's then used the salt technique and various lighter and darker mists over this to make it look tired. I promise I'll do some more pictures. On the subject of the Windows, I am nothing if not dopey- i intended to use Kristal or something to do these, I failed miserably with the kit Windows on both models but forgot to do the Ice wagon before I'd posted the pictures. Story if my life in afraid.

I used the transfers from the Matchbox kit to do both models as I thought all the Revell ones looked very bright. I used the props from the older kit on the Ice wagon which I hadn't originally intended to build, and the reason I mention this is that many of the blades had been broken from the hubs over the years in the box and have had tiny hypodermic pins fitted to splint them back together again, very fiddly work

• Like 1

What a generous man that he let you choose such a WONDERFUL aircraft to build..

I am sorry for your friends loss and may Ron rest in Peace..

You did an OUTSTANDING job on your two Privateers.. :Tasty::clap:

..AND its a very fitting Tribute to your good friend Ron Adams.... :speak_cool:

I am sure he smiles down at your BEAUTIFUL work..

BRAVO :mike:

A great and very touching tribute - top man.

I too had a Privateer as a young 'un, back in the days when I built them without painting (very poor back then....).

They both look cracking and I think I will search one out for nostalgia purposes.

• 4 weeks later...

Nice kits. I have a revell kit and for a while.have been wanting to make her into a US COAST GUARD but havnt got the heart to ruin the ry3 nose to mould a clear version. Maybe someone might bring out a conversion. :-)

Nice kits. I have a revell kit and for a while.have been wanting to make her into a US COAST GUARD but havnt got the heart to ruin the ry3 nose to mould a clear version. Maybe someone might bring out a conversion. :-)

Might a home made vac form work? I've also got a spare noise and other parts of you want them? Let me know if it helps

A great and very touching tribute - top man.

I too had a Privateer as a young 'un, back in the days when I built them without painting (very poor back then....).

They both look cracking and I think I will search one out for nostalgia purposes.

back in the 60s I also chucking'em together in a day and NEVER painted them although I always applied the transfers (when did we start calling them'decals'?).when I started work, (in the brief period between my first pay packet and then discovering girls and motorcycles) I bought a few times of Airfix paint but can still remember the disappointment of it not covering very well, it seemed very thin and water. Who knew you had to stir it?.....

back in the 60s I also chucked'em together in a day and NEVER painted them although I always applied the transfers (when did we start calling them'decals'?).when I started work, (in the brief period between my first pay packet and then discovering girls and motorcycles) I bought a few tins of Airfix paint but can still remember the disappointment of it not covering very well, it seemed very thin and watery. Who knew you had to stir it?.....