Dragon Pz.Kpfw.III (5cm) (T) - 06/04 Back on line and pics uploaded!

How do chaps,

Here's my contribution to the forthcoming proceedings :bye:

DSC_0001_zps1wngirvv.jpg

Some sprue shots. Lots of bits but about half of which are spares!

DSC_0003_zpsrojiviam.jpg

DSC_0002_zpsranepfma.jpg

DSC_0004_zpsnkbfitox.jpg

Front of the instructions shows just how many bits will be left over (shaded in blue)

DSC_0007_zpsx1gfrjxq.jpg

And finally a bit of brass and the DS tracks, which are the main reason I went with this, I've got quite a few Dragon PzIII's in the stash, but those indie links scare me! :blink:

Probably won't be making a start on this until end of next week when I'm on leave for 10 days of plastic heaven! Hope to get this done during that time. Will probably mount it on a simple base with a figure maybe? :hmmm:

Regards,

Steve

Edited by fatfingers
  • Like 2

How do chaps,

Managed to make a start on this sooner than I thought.

How many sprues? 26 I think! :huh:

DSC_0002_zpsvsudvjhk.jpg

Started the running gear with the rear idlers and drive sprockets.

DSC_0003_zpswuus1chk.jpg

DSC_0004_zpsggfq6vcp.jpg

DSC_0005_zps4uzbitk7.jpg

This is a typical Dragon kit. Lovely detail, loads of spares and crap instructions! :crosseyed: The torsion bars are miss numbered and I doubt if they're the only parts that are!

DSC_0009_zps9kuutqdt.jpg

Lower hull is very nicely done. The escape hatches are made up of the door and two hinge parts.

DSC_0007_zpsbjmwyjwf.jpg

DSC_0008_zpsvnmxengd.jpg

That's it for now. Might be able to steal another cheeky hour or two with this tomorrow :rolleyes:

Regards,

Steve

• Like 4

How do chaps,

Small update for today.

Finished off the swing arms and other small bits on the lower hull.

DSC_0001_zpsba23bcv1.jpg

DSC_0002_zps6ydokg5w.jpg

Fed the carpet monster tonight too with one of the bump stops from the front shocker :oops: When the wheel is on it wont be that noticeable. I hope!

Rear plate on and clamped.

DSC_0003_zpsbwa1nu2p.jpg

I'm using Tamiya Extra Thin on this (along with good old Humbrol Liquid Polly) I really like the tiny brush on the Extra Thin. Its great for getting into the nooks and crannies.

On an early shift tomorrow so I should get some more done.

More soon,

Regards,

Steve

• Like 1

Aye up Cliff,

Its a lovely kit but some of the parts are ridiculously small! :blink:

Today I've just been fiddling with a fender. Couple of holes to open up for placements, but otherwise no drama's.

DSC_0001_zps4nyp56sq.jpg

The jack is made up of 10 parts! :undecided:

DSC_0003_zps5pedsudo.jpg

Hope to get more done over weekend.

Regards,

Steve

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

How do chaps.

Well my plan to work on this last week whilst i was on leave soon went to rat! My beloved announced on the weekend before that she had also got the week off and didn't tell me cos it was a surprise! But an even bigger surprise was that we were going to spend the week decorating... So that was the end of my week of modelling :weep:

Managed to finally get a smidge done today whilst the missus was watching EastEnders with lots of cockney types going 'yeah' at the end of each sentence. So I finished off the fenders and started on the rear deck.

Hatches in place.

DSC_0008_zpsifbb24s9.jpg

Once the hatches were on, I then had to fit 12 of these.

DSC_0005_zps7ygmyrpa.jpg

Tow cable, hinges and engine intakes in place. in place.

DSC_0009_zps3rhsywjs.jpg

That's all for now chaps. Hope to get a bit more done over weekend as I'm on earlies.

Regards.

Steve

• Like 3

Any progress is good progress in my book. Shame you didn't manage to get as much done as you'd hoped. Hopefully you'll get more done over the weekend. Looking good so far.

• Like 1

Thanks for the comments chaps :bye:

Finally made some headway over the last days or so.

Top hull plate started and front deck in place on lower hull. This kit has all sorts of little hinges etc so that hatches can be left open. Don't do interiors as a rule so they were all glued shut!

DSC_0002_zpsobfbpdot.jpg

DSC_0003_zpsb0tsdfmi.jpg

Commanders cupola is made up of around 22 parts in total and is rather fiddly and complex to put together. All the vision blocks are individual parts, but as the hatches were going to be closed anyhow they weren't used.

DSC_0009_zpsaidgy61y.jpg

All built and closed up.

DSC_0011_zpswyhn2w12.jpg

Completed top hull plate.

DSC_0010_zpsyx5gox46.jpg

Now onto my favorite part on an armour kit, namely the turret :D

Gun and mantlet started. The gun is slide moulded in one piece with a hollow barrel muzzle and everything fits nice and snug.

DSC_0012_zpsnq2akvdd.jpg

Turret shell started with mantlet in place. The skirt around the base of the turret was a bit fiddly to place and glue. I sat it on the matt and got the skirt in place and then run Tamiya Extra Thin on the top of the join in stages. Once dry it sat where it needs to be. The turret has a basic interior and gun breach etc, not that I bothered with it of course! :whistle:

DSC_0014_zpspobtez5p.jpg

Top plate and fenders were fixed to the lower hull. Took a bit of fiddling to get it all square. The turret is just sat on at the mo.

DSC_0015_zps77bjk6ks.jpg

Engine deck dry fitted.

DSC_0016_zps0hbmukcr.jpg

Still a lot of bits and bobs to be fitted to the turret and rear plate then I can make a start on the running gear. Now I've got my flow with this I'm rather enjoying it! :D

Hope to get more progress soon.

Regards,

Steve

• Like 4

It beats me why Dragon always have to complicate matters and miss the basic things off, like zimmerit untill recently. Even then, you get charged extra.!

W

Yep I couldn't agree more!

Hi Steve,

looks very good, Dragons III's & IV's are very good kits...

Andy

Cheers Andy,

It is a very nice kit, rather fiddly in places and it makes you work for a good result though! Got a few in stash now.

Regards,

Steve

Cheers Rob, slowly coming along now.

Turret finished off today.

DSC_0002_zps8b9nu0qx.jpg

Smoke candle rack built. Just the etch chains to be added later.

DSC_0003_zpsapcqsvhl.jpg

And in place on rear plate.

DSC_0004_zpsdnfuvfv9.jpg

That just about finishes off this part of the build.I also managed to feed the carpet monster too with one of the front towing brackets!

DSC_0005_zpsfw9vbzvq.jpg

Up next will be the running gear and then she's all ready for the paint shop.

:bye:

Regards,

Steve

DSC_0007-01_zps7rwy6w9j.jpg

• Like 3

Hi Steve,

More excellent progress! Some fine looking detailing going on there. Shame the carpet monster got fed though! Were there no spares in the kit? In the few 1/72 Dragon kits I have made there's usually been a couple of spares..........possibly because Dragon realise how small they are!

Kind regards,

Stix

Great work on a very well detailed kit, these Dragon kits are stunning and complex.Looking very good so far.

Seems your spare parts box get some input with this kit. Can t wait to see more progress.

:goodjob:

• Like 1

Great work on a very well detailed kit, these Dragon kits are stunning and complex.Looking very good so far.

Seems your spare parts box get some input with this kit. Can t wait to see more progress.

:goodjob:

Thanks Bernd.

Dragon kits are very good. You just have to take your time with them to get the best out of it!

Regards,

Steve

• Like 1

Yesterday, my Dragon Panther Ausf.G in 1/35 arrived. The kit has the waffle pattern Zimmerit molded on and all the great details, Dragon is know for.

This will be a long time runner on my bench at some time, its beautiful and have the DS tracks and damaged stowage boxes on the rear.

There also a Firefly from Dragon on my watch list, also for a bargain price, but the single track link has me put of a bit. There are not only single tracks, but the links are build from multible parts.

2015 will see some 1/35 tanks as well on my bench.

• Like 1