Here we have the Italeri 1/72nd Hustler. It didn't fall together, requiring filler around most major joints, and the undercarriage required a sense of humour considering the kit wasn't engineered at all to have raised u/c! A lot of filler and plastic strip went into making the closed doors more presentable! I didn't go too mad with the weathering, except on the underside where I found a pic of a 58 with smoke blackened elevons from the inner J79s. The kit decals were used for the Greased Lightning example, going on well and settling down nicely in the brushed-on Klear. I used some white decal stripe for the nose probe too.

The Alclad used for the finish comprised of White, Polished, Dark, Dull, and Airframe Aluminiums, post-shading done with Steel, gun metal used in the engines and gun shroud and weathering with Pale Burnt Metal, Burnt Iron, and Jet Exhaust. I also notice I forgot to glaze the tiny windows! Senior moment but will be addressed soon!

null_zps55af2a7d.jpg

null_zpsb5fac53b.jpg

null_zps9c5a8df6.jpg

null_zps4edd7317.jpg

null_zps9f2e892c.jpg

null_zps59f92393.jpg

null_zps6e45e864.jpg

null_zps58917461.jpg

null_zps7f369ee2.jpg

null_zps0eba58d2.jpg

null_zps11922442.jpg

null_zpsb82ab308.jpg

null_zps0c434f98.jpg

null_zps33ed720e.jpg

null_zps4c59fdfb.jpg

And this shot is me holding it outside in a vain attempt to show the Alclad off in sunlight!

null_zps830e8ee8.jpgf

• Like 25

That's a great finish!

Do you put Kleer over the entire model to seal everything in? I've never used Alclad paints and want to have a go. I'm worried that a sealing coat will 'kill' the metal finish - any tips?

Tom

I genuinely nearly wet myself when I saw this, an absolute beauty.

You have done a perfect job on what I believe can be a pig of a kit.

I love the head on picture with the camera low down.

I NEED a B-58 in my life.

Epic.

Thankyou chaps, much appreciated

That's a great finish!

Do you put Kleer over the entire model to seal everything in? I've never used Alclad paints and want to have a go. I'm worried that a sealing coat will 'kill' the metal finish - any tips?

Tom

The thing with Alclad, and I can't stress it enough, is surface prep. Any and every imperfection on the surcafe plastic will show through the Alclad as it is so thin, so the main thing is to get the surface as clean and smooth as possible. Usually I put a base coat of the Alclad primer/micro filler over the whole thing before a gloss black coat, but on this one I didn't bother with the primer, just spraying two coats of gloss black base coat over the whole thing. Over this was sprayed a coup,e of light coats of a Polished Aluminium, then some panels were masked off and was over sprayed with White Aluminium. Various other panels were then sprayed other shades as mentioned at the start. As for Klear, yes I usually spray a coat or two after each session with the Alclad as I have had paint lift up with the masking tape in the past, and I like to seal it in when I can. For decalling I brushed the Klear on and it does a fab job of pulling the decals down into the panel lines. If anything I think it slightly brings the shine down but it's just personal preference..Alclad do their own varnishes too and their gloss coat may not have any dulling effect at all...I don't know, I don't use it much I'm afraid