Skybow 1/48 Tiger 1 - Late Production w/Zimmerit - update 02/06/15 - base started

PlaStix

Excellent Stix, the addition of the figures adds a nice degree of "life" to the overall look of the tank, which in itself is

stunning.

Really great modelling again,

Regards,

Sean

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you Nigel, Cliff and Sean. Sorry not to respond sooner to your kind comments - been a bit sidetracked by other builds!!!

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

As I said in my Sherman build thread I was really hoping to have all the bases complete for my tanks by the end of the GB but it wasn't to be. This was of the bases I didn't get completed. I've included a few photos below of where it's currently at. I still want to add some more foliage and I've got a couple of German soldiers underway which I will add at some point. The light wasn't too great by the time I got around to taking these on Sunday evening but they show some of the details:

18127022959_0ee4a3d18c_c.jpg

18313214455_078a7a3899_c.jpg

18127011419_2dd810a8ee_c.jpg

18313401675_737f617e88_c.jpg

18125659350_30cdd32990_c.jpg

18125578608_27f0fbdf8e_c.jpg

And a general view:

18314821661_482506a343_c.jpg

Comments and suggestions welcome.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 6

Looking good, the scene looks really convincing and no Typhoons around

Thank you Bernd. Sarge said something similar in another thread - I might have to see if I can stage something at some point!

Hope you're having a good weekend.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Love the finished look Stix and mainly love the rusty exhaust covers! Very convincing! What technique and colours have you used for it? :)

Hi Wolwe and thank you.

For the exhaust covers I painted the rust effects after painting them with base colour and camo. I usually start with some thinned Revell Anthracite with some highlights of thinned and dry-brushed Humbrol's Gunmetal here and there - the latter doesn't always show through that much but it's part of the effect. There's no precise way for this - I just do it where I think it looks best following some photos online of the actual Tiger. I then used thinned RailMatch's Light Rust applied with a stippling brush. Then, before this is quite dry, I dab on some slightly less thinned Light Rust and Anthracite and this kind of 'blooms' into the still wet layer of thinned Light Rust. Each time I do it it is a bit of an experiment!

I'm not sure it's the best way to get a decent rust effect but it looks okay to me.

Let me know if anything needs clarification.

Happy New Year.

Kind regards,

Stix