Skybow 1/48 Tiger 1 - Late Production w/Zimmerit - update 02/06/15 - base started

PlaStix

Thank you Darren. It's my first go at damaging Zimmerit so I wasn't awfully sure what I was doing (which fairly normal for most things for me!) Now got to decide how I shall paint these areas.

Kind regards,

Stix

I worked for a reasonable while on this project this morning but from looking at the photos there isn't a lot to show. First off I did some minor assembly of smaller parts on the upper hull and turret before getting the base coats of paint on both - Humbrol's Desert Yellow again, thinned with water and applied by flat hairy stick:

16680429771_c4f30dbea8_c.jpg

Then I couldn't resist a bit of test fitting:

16474494167_ebfd3b3a5c_c.jpg

16474492157_ed29528de0_c.jpg

I also painted some other parts while they are still on the sprues but didn't take any photos.

While waiting for the paint to dry I decided I ought to try assembling the Skybow track links. Not an easy process with my large fingers! These parts are small!!:

16494377120_7b2db2a53d_c.jpg

The method for fitting them together - fitting one pin in one side and then clicking in the pin on the other side seems, to me, to result in broken or bent pins. I got better as I went on but I think some links may have to be glued! Anyway, after a while and some bad words I got them to look like this:

16494189368_d5b7836040_c.jpg

16494372260_b428244a07_c.jpg

Now don't get me wrong they look nice but I'm not sure my sanity is worth the effort involved when you see these next to the tracks Skybow provide with the kit:

16474482437_bfb5506e63_c.jpg

16681766435_d09a6f6010_c.jpg

The band tracks do seem nicely detailed. Not tried them in terms of fit yet though.

I can obviously see the visual difference but I'm wondering how noticeable it will be when they are painted and weathered.

I will keep going with the links for now but in the long run...................

Comments and suggestions welcome.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Looking very good.

For the individual track links, same happened to me. Just take a close look at the box instructions. I know it seems simple, but there really is one correct side to insert first, and that should eliminate the chance of broken pins.

regards,

Jack

• Like 1

great work

Thank you Mick.

Stay with the indy link tracks Stix,you'll really see the difference when you hang them on the tank.

Looking good old chum :thumbsup:

Hi Alex. Thank you and yes I'm going to stick with the track links for now.

Just be thankful they're not Hobby Boss' three part nowhere to glue links.

I'm afraid I don't know anything about the HB tracks but if they're more difficult than these then I am very grateful I'm not using them!

Looking very good.

For the individual track links, same happened to me. Just take a close look at the box instructions. I know it seems simple, but there really is one correct side to insert first, and that should eliminate the chance of broken pins.

regards,

Jack

Hi Jack. Thank you. Yes I am following your previous suggestion but I still find that one or two of the pins have got caught on the edge and broken off! I sometimes feel I have sausages instead of fingers and these links really feel small!

I am going to try to keep going with them! :banghead:

Kind regards,

Stix

Superb work so far, the kit seems identical with the AFV-Cub kit. Its a very nice one, did it some time ago.

Will start my Topic very soon.

Enjoy this kit ! :goodjob:

Cheers

Bernd

• Like 1

Hi Bernd. Thank you.

Yes this Skybow kit got re-boxed by AFV Club and it is a very nice kit, which I am thoroughly enjoying building.

And I am looking forward to seeing the kit you build for this GB.

Hope you have a good evening.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

I worked for a fair few hours on this project this morning but, from the photos, it doesn't look like much. First job I did was put a second coat on all the parts on the sprues which are Desert Yellow in colour - sorry no photos. Then most of the time was taken up creating the areas of damaged Zimmerit:

16752295625_00bb6e9238_c.jpg

16566184439_352f01a598_c.jpg

16566182749_77d47fed40_c.jpg

Neither the top of the hull or the turret parts are glued together yet but I reckon getting the hull assembled will be one of the next jobs:

16132355263_fcfbc2a852_c.jpg

I also cut away one of the sections of one of the side skirts and did some damage to the ends - to make it look battle damaged - again I didn't get chance to take a photo. I did thin the damaged ends a little as the plastic looked a little too thick.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 7

Using putty to simulate dameged Zimmerit is a great idea, i am looking forward how it will be look, when finished.

(maybe i will "borrow" this )

:goodjob::coolio:

Using putty to simulate dameged Zimmerit is a great idea, i am looking forward how it will be look, when finished.

(maybe i will "borrow" this )

:goodjob::coolio:

Hi Bernd,

I didn't use putty for this. I've used a craft knife to carefully (very carefully!!!) carve away the Zimmerit. The green is the original plastic showing through the paint. I found it was actually easier to see the areas I was working on when they were painted. I then used some fine wet'n'dry paper to smooth it off a bit.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Hi Bernd,

I didn't use putty for this. I've used a craft knife to carefully (very carefully!!!) carve away the Zimmerit. The green is the original plastic showing through the paint. I found it was actually easier to see the areas I was working on when they were painted. I then used some fine wet'n'dry paper to smooth it off a bit.

Kind regards,

Stix

Simple but clever!! Another one for the 'Stolen from Stix' notebook :whistle:

• Like 1

Simple but clever!! Another one for the 'Stolen from Stix' notebook :whistle:

Lol!

Got a lot done on this today. First of all I finished quite a bit of base colour painting on many of the smaller parts, glued together the upper and lower hull parts and fitted more of the smaller parts. I also decided, because I had already damaged the Zimmerit in places, that the skirt armour should be damaged too. I cut away a section on one side and created a bent out of shape section on the other.

Some photos of how it looks now:

16812820911_e17e73a5cc_c.jpg

16788046656_1cb47c35a3_c.jpg

16626361778_40f109befb_c.jpg

16626359708_e8a23c2b82_c.jpg

In the space where the section is missing I need to fabricate the remains of the fixings.

I also build up the main gun but it's only wedged in place at the moment:

16626358158_0f6e9f5795_c.jpg

16627793029_b6ce08e7dd_c.jpg

16788037686_d4f7133363_c.jpg

Tomorrow I'm going to get the grills attached on. The rear deck and then start getting some washes and dry-brushing done.

16813900815_d8215b8675_c.jpg

16191556234_c0994f74f7_c.jpg

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 4

Looks good, subtle damage. Lesser is sometimes more. :thumbsup:

Hi Bernd. Thank you - I was imagining that it hadn't been in action for too long (that's my excuse anyway!)

The kind of thing that makes most people shudder at the thought... ;) Cracking job on this one!

Thank you for your comments Speedman - yes I had to convince myself that it really was a good idea - after all Skybow had very kindly applied the rather well detailed Zimmerit!

Been a busy morning but I'm afraid there's only a few photos which show a some things I did early on. First job was fitting the PE grills on the rear deck:

16197224924_23aaafbcd6_c.jpg

I also fabricated the remains of the fixings for the missing skirt armour section:

16632185150_d3895276fe_c.jpg

Once I'd weathered the exhausts I fitted them and the exhaust guards:

16199161164_90119fc33b_c.jpg

16820435971_727e0b0bc8_c.jpg

After this I got wash of Revell's Gunship Grey over all the Desert yellow areas and then did some targeted washes with Revell's Anthracite. I also did some dry brushing with Humbrol's Gunmetal on items such as the tow ropes, machine guns and winch.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 2

The mesh over the engine louvers are a definitive win and made the kit look more realistic. Thats a real advantage, the Skybow/AFV.Club kit had, compared with the Tamiya Tiger.

Stunning build so far !

:goodjob:

• Like 1

The mesh over the engine louvers are a definitive win and made the kit look more realistic. Thats a real advantage, the Skybow/AFV.Club kit had, compared with the Tamiya Tiger.

Stunning build so far !

:goodjob:

Hi Bernd,

Hope this Saturday morning finds you well.

Yes the grills really do add something to the rear deck. It was good that AVF actually decided to include the grills as part of their kit rather than me having to get the Hauler ones for this Skybow kit.

And thank you for your kind comments as always.

To bring this one up to date I have now given everything a wash with Revell's Gunship Grey and then, when that was dry, I gave some areas an added wash of Revell's Anthracite. Finally I got the areas, where I've removed some of the Zimmerit, a base coat of the red oxide colour:

16878356642_b54371fdc8_c.jpg

16691912458_d9835b3449_c.jpg

16693402379_d771b592fd_c.jpg

16259534293_838f3fe896_c.jpg

16259533153_fac5806c1a_c.jpg

16693398689_3812b0eaa8_c.jpg

16257154504_86d552bb31_c.jpg

16693396029_525fb3bf34_c.jpg

Some of the remaining parts, that are still on the sprues, have had their painting started:

16259527573_1ea95f27ab_c.jpg

.......and this is how far I've got with the first set of track links:

16259526093_51e2ec2be9_c.jpg

The latter are not my favourite part of this build!

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 4

Looking good, your 1/48 scale Tiger will be a stunner as well. The metallic effect on the tracks is looking vbery realistic.

The AFV-Club re release had soft plastic tracks and this was one of the reasons, for me, to buy it. The advantage of the single link tracks in your build is, you can portraying the "sack" of the real tracks much better.

Happy Modelling and a very nice day. ( after the beautiful day, yesterday, it was a surprise for me, to found melting snow this morning, in the garden )

• Like 1

Looking good, your 1/48 scale Tiger will be a stunner as well. The metallic effect on the tracks is looking vbery realistic.

The AFV-Club re release had soft plastic tracks and this was one of the reasons, for me, to buy it. The advantage of the single link tracks in your build is, you can portraying the "sack" of the real tracks much better.

Happy Modelling and a very nice day. ( after the beautiful day, yesterday, it was a surprise for me, to found melting snow this morning, in the garden )

Snow?! We didn't do as badly - it was just very cold and windy here.

Thank you Bernd - the tracks provided with the kit, to me, look pretty good but they are a bit short and too tight when on to give muck of the sag effect. The individual link tracks from Skybow are the first I've ever had a go at and took a lot longer than I thought they would!

But close to about four hours of mind numbing repetitiveness got me here:

16267986674_858c8798c3_c.jpg

Two sets of tracks which seem to be about the right length.

The detail on them does look good:

16889368041_8a5d9cbd33_c.jpg

And they are very flexible:

16704203609_8e94b8e67e_c.jpg

More importantly they seem to fit well and look good on the Tiger:

16270369883_78999e2b7f_c.jpg

Please note this was only a test fitting with them lodged in place.

16890371185_38a98f1535_c.jpg

16702960690_5ed9de9319_c.jpg

16683037787_87a8f94f9c_c.jpg

These will need painting and weathering next. I also need to get the camo on the tank itself.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 2

One or two links more, would have been nice but the effect of the mounted tracks looks good.

Well done !

looks like "modelling weather" here, have a great Sunday !

• Like 1