Boeing 747-8F Revell Cargolux

Good day every one

I though I would share my latest completion. This is the Revell Cargolux 747-8F. Very nice build totally out of the box. Fit was very good and the detail is (to my eye) excellent. I had issues trying to work out the correct colour, in the end I opted for Tamiya spray can which look ok but on reflection it is way, way too dark. On some photos it looks almost white, on others it is quite dark but no where near my selection. I didn't go for a respray because I used a poor primer (automotive) and was worrying about loosing the detail. The decals are very good but the tail one is very thick and just would not settle into the panel lines no matter how much micro-sol i used.

The engines I think are very good and the engineering involved produces a very good looking attempt but some of the fan blades did suffer slightly from short shots or flash and they are difficult to clean up.

Over all i am happy with the result, She is a big, good looking beast! I am still quite new to the civvy side of things but I do like working in this scale and looking forward to my next attempts. It does make a pleasant change. Any hoo here are the pics:

100_3196_zps6d48d3c1.jpg

100_3197_zps9c90ea89.jpg

100_3198_zps8474d7f2.jpg

100_3199_zps4dfdcd3f.jpg

100_3200_zpsc6daf768.jpg

100_3201_zps6c44d2e9.jpg

And here she is joining the rest of my civvy fleet. The Concorde is on its last legs but I have another in the stash to take over

100_3205_zps3524e8b9.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Cheers now

Bob

• Like 17

Good job! I have this in the stash as well with some very special decals.

Hint?

Great looking jumbo Bob. It is a pity that so few are going into airline passenger service - mind you, the liveries would all have ended up just being plain white I'm sure. Like your Tu-144 as well.

Cheers,

Mike

• 1 year later...

Hi Bob just looking over this beautiful build again as I,m at the painting stage of mine stupidly I was going to paint the thing white! Can I ask what 

you used?

I used Tamiya grey. I can't remember which one though but it was a generic grey in a rattle can. I think in hindsight it was a bit too dark but I do know what you mean. When I first got the kit I was looking at doing mine white!

• Like 1

On 03/10/2016 at 7:37 PM, stevej60 said:

Hi Bob just looking over this beautiful build again as I,m at the painting stage of mine stupidly I was going to paint the thing white! Can I ask what 

you used?

Amazing, I had not noticed the grey fuselage on the actual aircraft either. Looking at some images the grey used is different to the Boeing grey of the wings... and a tad lighter than what Bob used.

• Like 1

I looked around yesterday the only gray's light enough were small bottles I reckon about four would be needed and then the airframe

glossed I might check out Halfords but I dont think there's a single car manufacturer with light gray in the range!

• Like 1

The shade of grey has been discussed before here and on Airliner Cafe.  The consensus from those seeing the actual aircraft in person (not photos where colour shades are affected by light, atmosphere etc) is that the aircraft is overall Boeing Grey.

• Like 1

See these a/c from the office takeoff/landing three times a week. Yes the actual grey is a lighter shade - but a fine build all the same.

One comment I would make on the GEnx-2B engines is that the fan blades/platforms are around 75% black (composite) with only the forward 25% from the leading edge being metallic and the cone is generally back. 

• Like 1