S-61N. C/N 61143 G-AYOM BEA helicopters (1/72)

Cheers guys :)

Really pleased with the rivets Nigel. Although, I almost gave up on them and it sat on the shelf for some time. It would be nice to have this finished by the end of the year. I'm currently trying to figure out the best way to mount the sponson support struts. If I'm honest I'm a bit scared ha ha but will take another look tonight.

P.S. Regards the rivets; purely accidental, but as they are dark they act as a sort of pre-shade in some areas which looks quite nice.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Colin. Glad to be back on this one; its been quite challenging but good fun.

Another update.

Tail fin (stabiliser?), surface details (although still need to add the radar) and sponsons fitted. The latter were a challenge. The struts are from the Revell donor kit. Rather than using the kit supplied white metal support lattice I used bits of brass rod in various diameters. Trying to get the sponsons aligned correctly along with the vertical struts was rather fiddly. As the weight of the kit (all the white metal inside, its quite some weight) will be on this section, I strengthened by drilling and fitting brass rod through the centre, this also aided when trying the align the struts with the sponsons.

Painted and Alclad aqua gloss applied. I may be able to start with some decals soon.

Photos are from my phone so not that great.

20110696923_978daa69b0_z.jpg

20109070244_6390d33d6c_z.jpg

this photos to show the make up of the sponsons supports.

20110687403_6d914573c1_z.jpg

thanks for looking

cheers

Aaron

• Like 5

Thank you very much guys.

Another small update: Some decals

20772584292_daebaf0620_z.jpg

20594024978_5a71d7746c_z.jpg

20782013765_074270074b_z.jpg

Of the photos I have, G-AYOM has another BEA logo next to the air stair door. Not all BEA speed jack 61's had this and I don't think there's a decal for this so will just do without. Plenty of other decals to add...

Thanks for looking.

• Like 4

Thanks very much.

Decals done, will seal them up tomorrow if I get a chance. The lettering for G-AYOM is not exactly correct (size and font) but it's the best I could do and looks fine to me: I used Xtradecal RAF 12" letters. Of the ref photos I have seen the, letters on G-AYOM look narrower than other BEA S-61s, but that could be due to the age / quality of the photos.

A few touch ups here and there then I reckon I could get a wash and start some weathering. Although I'm back to work Thursday, so don't think the wash & weathering will happen until next time I'm home.

Some photos; again, poor quality but I've just finished and it's dark in the kitchen.

20257331624_f24d501679_z.jpg

20693180989_22a448d5fb_z.jpg

20879921575_9ac9e7391f_z.jpg

Thanks for looking

Cheers

Aaron

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

Had to come home for a couple of days due to an emergency. Thankfully, everything is okay now.

During this time, my Dad popped round with an old mortgage plate from G-AYOM. It never occurred to me that helicopters where mortgaged. Anyway, I thought it would make a nice addition to a display.

21116480401_86be20ecce.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

I would love to see this Aaron. Is it finished now? Many happy years in Scotland for me. A BEA helicopter is very evocative.
Best regards
Tony

• Like 1

Thanks Tony.

Still on the bench I'm afraid but I'm keen to get started again once the vignette GB is complete. Where about in Scotland did you stay?

Hi Aaron,

It's a very nice helicopter model. Well worth rescuing off the bench :)

I've only ever built one helicopter, I find them very difficult, but I like them. I'm learning more about them by reading builds here. The one I built was a Westland Wessex, which I think is the same as a H-19 but I'm not sure?

I was in Helensburgh, in Argyll and Bute for nearly 4 years (2000-2004). It was a really nice place to live. I would go back if I could.

All best regards

Tony

• Like 1