Hobby Boss 1/48 U.S. M4A3 (76)W - Finished - base update - 02/06/15

PlaStix

This is the first tank I'm intending to build for this GB and it represents a number of firsts for me:
16101906751_b20b11b8ca_c.jpg
It will be my first 1/48 AFV build (having made two 1/72 and two 1/76 tanks), my first Hobby Boss kit and my first American tank.

With regards the tank itself:
1,400 M4A3s with Ford GAA V-8 engines and fitted with 76mm M1 guns, were manufactured by Fisher Tank Arsenal and Detroit Tank Arsenal between March 1944 and April 1945. I haven't decided yet which version I shall make mine as but cannot wait to get started.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 6

Stix,,

If your Spitfire is anything to go by, then this Armor build will also be truly SUPERB in your hands.. :coolio:

I look forward to your weathering et al techniques on the armor... :thumbsup:

Look forward to this very much.. :yahoo:

GOOD Luck MY friend. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Thank you wimbledon and Houston. I'm really looking forward to getting this one underway.

I thought I'd better include some photos of the contents of the box:

16363051242_ea5ec9f885_c.jpg

As I mentioned before; this is going to be my first 1/48 tank and I have to say there does seem to be a lot more parts.

I don't know anything about Hobby Boss kits, apart from what I have read, but the detail on this one seems pretty good:

16177739439_269f29ed66_c.jpg

16176571850_c545292215_c.jpg

16177721109_7a433e3902_c.jpg

16176293248_8ac4ff6a4f_c.jpg

The tracks:

15741478854_778792eed2_c.jpg

16178030607_ebdcb4bb65_c.jpg

The decals:

16176603700_08a0ee5ba8_c.jpg

The kit even comes with some PE:

16363925085_ba4221b493_c.jpg

and some stowage:

16363928905_ec625fbfe7_c.jpg

The instructions:

15741518404_4726ed9eaa_c.jpg

16176337578_767f74a16b_c.jpg

16178067927_519254ee02_c.jpg

I'm not intending to use any after market items with this so it's going to be pretty much OOB. I got it fairly cheap online so I reckon that, looking at the contents, it's pretty good value.

I am think of doing this one as part of a bit of a diorama so I'm going to make some of these figures to go with it:

16346249316_8a74c64266_c.jpg

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 5

I have the same figure set, and be careful as some of the guys come up a little 'short' compared to other 1/48 figures!

Thank you for the tip Phil - I'll watch out for that!!

Sounds like this should be one to watch :popcorn:

Cliff

Thank you for your interest Cliff! :thumbsup2:

cant wait to see the progress Stix :)

Hi Wolwe. Good to see you on here - hope you are well. Any chance we can tempt you to join in with a tank? I hope to be starting mine this weekend.

Kind regards,

Stix

Just found this Stix,and I was just bemoaning the lack of Sherman,s too! looks a superb kit too,I had not seen any 1/48 armour "in the flesh" until my eldest bought

a Tamiya Tiger a month or so ago and was very impressed by the detail and size,this kit looks equally as good looking forward to this build.Off to my LMS this

morning for a pot of paint it,ll be hard not to grab something to build maybe in a smaller scale I know he has Revell,s boxing of the old Matchbox Firefly in,wonder

If it has the half bridge diorama base still in the box?

• Like 1

Just found this Stix,and I was just bemoaning the lack of Sherman,s too! looks a superb kit too,I had not seen any 1/48 armour "in the flesh" until my eldest bought

a Tamiya Tiger a month or so ago and was very impressed by the detail and size,this kit looks equally as good looking forward to this build.Off to my LMS this

morning for a pot of paint it,ll be hard not to grab something to build maybe in a smaller scale I know he has Revell,s boxing of the old Matchbox Firefly in,wonder

If it has the half bridge diorama base still in the box?

Hi Steve. Yes it is a rather nice kit which I'm looking forward to getting underway when I've done a little more research.

Did you manage to pick up anything else at your LMS? A Firefly with a diorama base would make a great addition to this GB! :devil:

Hi Steve. Yes it is a rather nice kit which I'm looking forward to getting underway when I've done a little more research.

Did you manage to pick up anything else at your LMS? A Firefly with a diorama base would make a great addition to this GB! :devil:

Yea,Stix,my LMS had one so got it and will join the GB,he re-opened last year after a couple of years abroad and he is really going to town on what he stocks,since

last Friday when I last popped in he has added a large range of Hasegawa kits including all the old 1/72 or 76 armour which I have,nt seen in this area since the eighties

was very tempted by a Panther or Grant so may do another later on.

• Like 1

That sounds excellent Steve! Looking forward to seeing it/them in progress.

It's great you've got a good local modelshop. In Leicester we haven't got anything anymore. Dominoes Toys, who used to have a good model section (back in the good old days), closed a while back. It is due to reopen soon but it may not have a similar section. Your LMS sounds like it's going to be good. These days I have to go to Derby, Birmingham, Nottingham or Rugby to find proper model shops. Loughborough has a toy shop which sells Airfix kits and Humbrol paints but that's about it really.

Kind regards,

Stix

That sounds excellent Steve! Looking forward to seeing it/them in progress.

It's great you've got a good local modelshop. In Leicester we haven't got anything anymore. Dominoes Toys, who used to have a good model section (back in the good old days), closed a while back. It is due to reopen soon but it may not have a similar section. Your LMS sounds like it's going to be good. These days I have to go to Derby, Birmingham, Nottingham or Rugby to find proper model shops. Loughborough has a toy shop which sells Airfix kits and Humbrol paints but that's about it really.

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks,Stix,yea,very fortunate on a nice day it,s only a fifteen minute walk,and he has just reduced his 20% off opening offers which to be fair he,s kept on for over

a year and still offers 10% and does,nt inflate the price either.just posted WIP on the Sherman.

• Like 1

Blimey thats a lot of parts for a 1:48 tank! Look forward to seeing this progress!

Yeah, it does seem like you get a lot of stuff to play with in this 1/48 kit. Can't wait to get it started!

This is a very impressive kit, cant wait to see the progress

Chris

It does look good. Cheers Chris.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix

I think you'll find this a nice model to build. I hope you enjoy it. There are accuracy 'issues' with it but it looks and quacks like a Duck so...

Good to see several 48th models in this GB as well! :popcorn: I don't like popcorn but there's no emoticon for Viennese Whirls!

• Like 2

Hi SleeperService, thank you. Yeah it is good to see these 1/48 kits - the two I've got seem really good in terms of detail.

..........and Viennese Whirls! Excellent! Haven't had any for years - can feel a trip to the supermarket being required!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

So, if i am correct, i have counted three tanks you are building. The german general and "father" of the german tank corps, Heinz Guderian used to say :

"Nicht kleckern, sondern klotzen !" that means: do it in the big way, you are modelling this :-)

The HB Sherman looks really nice, you can have for cheap a lot of plastic in the box.While Hobby Boss and Trumpeter are one company, my experiences with this rubber tracks are relative positive, you best glue them with super glue, if you use them.

Good luck and Happy Modelling

Bernd

• Like 1

So, if i am correct, i have counted three tanks you are building. The german general and "father" of the german tank corps, Heinz Guderian used to say :

"Nicht kleckern, sondern klotzen !" that means: do it in the big way, you are modelling this :-)

The HB Sherman looks really nice, you can have for cheap a lot of plastic in the box.While Hobby Boss and Trumpeter are one company, my experiences with this rubber tracks are relative positive, you best glue them with super glue, if you use them.

Good luck and Happy Modelling

Bernd

Hi Bernd. I must admit I may have got a bit carried away having three builds (probably 4!!!! - you'll see later!) on the go for this GB. I love building planes, especially Spitfires, but since building two Dragon 1/72 tanks for the D-Day GB, I have found I really enjoy building tanks too! Thanks for the tip about using super glue - I shall definitely use some.

Happy modelling to you too!

I must actually get this one underway at some point - maybe this weekend.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Seeing as how my Skybow Tiger 1 is almost finished I thought I'd better get this one underway or I'm not going to have enough time to finish it.

It was a bit of a slow start; locating which bits on the spues are used for the running gear - it seems like there's going to be a lot of parts for the spares box with this kit!

Then more time was taken cleaning up a lot of seams! I was hoping that I'd get onto some painting this morning but the tidying up and the bit of assembling I did took longer than anticipated. I wasn't awfully impressed with some of the fit of parts either and I've already had to do some filling.

I only had time for one photo of all the parts I'm currently working with:

16879140999_eb8e95e36f_c.jpg

Next update on this will be at the weekend.

Comments and suggestions welcome.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 2