Pocher Fiat 130 HP - back from the dead...

Only a small update.

The rear axle and brake plates were all very badly broken. The axle was in three parts.

Being very old, the plastic is extremely brittle and trying to drill-and-pin the axle parts together didn't work well enough to support the weight of the completed car so in the end I had to plate both sides with 1mm plasticard. Once painted it doesn't really notice.

Equally, all the trailing links on the brake plates were broken off and one longer arm was missing altogether.

As I said from the outset, I'm really trying to restore just what I have and only in dire need will I get replacement parts.

The back plates and links were repaired and the missing arm was made from plasticard.

Likewise, one half of the rear spring part was missing, so again, I had to resort to moulding one of the parts and casting the other half in resin.

None of this will be seen once the springs are wrapped in thin white cord.

Roy.

P1010074_zps20623f31.jpg

Yeesh...

Looking at these levels of detail is very satisfying. A 1:1 museum piece in restoration.

You actually made me uncover my lump, which I haven't looked at in maybe two months, and the old yearning came back. But now's not quite the time to make a mess on the workbench.

But I've been eyeing some steps to take that are easy to spend an hour on once in a while, without sanding schmutz everywhere.

Looking at your work Roy, I don't know how any viewers can resist a Pocher classic, regardless of price.

Very impressive!

I do hope that you will send pics to the family you bought this from when it's finished so they can see that their Dad's model lives on....

Ian

Your build is looking really good. Looking at the before and current pictures I notice that your current red color is a darker red than the original. Almost every picture I've ever seen of this kit is more of a bright red. What color did you use? I have been thinking of using a color like this on an Alfa Spider I have in my stash. As usual you continue to be an inspiration to us all.

Regards, Wayne

I read a lot of stuff about the history of this car, and whilst the 'restored' car is now quite bright red, the references of the original car say it was a darker browny-red.

There are no colour pics of the original car so I chose a darker shade of red.

It's Rover Damask red.

Also, the wheels have been umpteen colours over the years, but early writings say they were just wood with a metal rim...

Roy.

A little update here.

ALMOST complete.

The bonnet/hood panels paint is now hard enough to work with.
Home made decals were applied but there are still watermarks on the paint. I'll polish them off when the decals have dried for a day or so.
Leather strapping still to fit, as is the door curtain on the driver side but I'm contemplating leaving it off so that the interior bits etc are easier to see.

Another hour or so should see it through.

Roy.

P1010122_zpsjdppmmal.jpg

P1010120_zpsjk4segp4.jpg

P1010119_zpsan2wt7mr.jpg

P1010121_zpsna1ahewe.jpg

• Like 2

Nice work Roy! This Fiat is an example of how you can take a Pocher kit and turn a wreck into a piece of art. We all know Roy is a master builder but, the rest of us with average to moderate skills can certainly take a much less expensive pre-built Pocher and rebuild it for a fraction of the cost of a new one. I see a lot of replies that say the cost is too high for these kits; well Roy has just shown you that it is possible to achieve show quality results from a wreck. This is a way for you guys to take a crack at a Pocher without the big investment. Great work Roy, keep them coming!

Wayne

Sincere thanks for those very kind words.

As Mr C and myself - and Wayne strive to point out, a Pocher kit is an immense amount of fun but although expensive, they are worth it.

However - if you still feel they are too far out of financial reach, then yes - seek out a pre-built one.

They pop up on E bay frequently and usually sell for peanuts compared to the cost of a kit.

Being 'nuts and bolts', they are just as much fun to take to pieces.

Catalogue all your bits, clean them up and start again.

You'll love it.

I have a Bugatti that's also a heap, in a box in the garage and this will eventually get similar treatment.

Maybe some time MUCH later this year, or next.

The Fiat is now finished - it's in the 'completed' section:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234977778-pocher-fiat-130-hp-rides-again/

Roy.

Edited by roymattblack

Truly inspirational Roy, almost enough to get me 'Pochering' again, but I still have nightmares about the Roller! In fact, I am finding it quite difficult to get into any car kit at the moment.

But, having said that, the Roller is safe inside it's case now, and I gaze upon it every day feeling quite pleased with myself that I actually got it finished.

Keep up the fantastic work.

Larry.

• Like 1