Pocher Fiat 130 HP - back from the dead...

Being a bit of a masochist, this one is now 'on the bench'.

Some of you might remember I bought this model as a box of broken bits - literally.

It really is a total wreck and the first task will be to completely disassemble the entire thing.

Next will be cleaning of all the (useable) parts plus repairs to the unusable bits. I really want to try a proper restoration without resorting to sourcing new or replacement parts if at all possible. It might mean using the broken parts, making moulds of them and casting my own resin replacements but I'm hoping to not even go that far.

I really want to just use what I have, and see if I can 'bring it back from the dead'.

Roy.

P1010185_zps36117306.jpg

P1010184_zps33164695.jpg

P1010186_zpseda44615.jpg

Edited by roymattblack

OK...

Off we go.

I've started taking the Fiat apart, basically by following the (naff) instruction book - in reverse.

I've already discovered that there are parts fixed on prior to the instructions saying to do so, which means 'other' bits have to be removed before getting at the part actually WANTING to be removed... Typical Pocher.

I'm labelling umpteen little boxes for the various screws, nuts, bolts etc, and each car sub assembly will be boxed/bagged as it gets taken apart.

Small parts, I'm boxing in little numbered poly tubs, and writing the tub number on the instructions against the part.

Hopefully I'll be able to find the bits when it eventually comes to putting it back together.

LOTS to come apart...

Roy.

P1010001_zpsd76bb446.jpg

• Like 1

This could be even more interesting than a basic build from new, it's always nice to take something that's crappy and turn it into a little gem!

Ian

All dismantled and bagged/boxed.

As it happens, this kit is extremely simple for a Pocher.
Anyone contemplating getting a Pocher, but worried about the complexity would do well to start with the Fiat.

Much of the kit had been put together with a 'push-fit' approach, which made disassembly pretty simple.

Lots of the kit is screws, nuts and bolts, so that was simple too.

Some parts had been glued using what appears to be Evo Stik. Horrible, thick and gungey, but in the main, removable.

One or two larger parts were stuck with an over-abundance of plastic glue. Difficult to get apart without using knives, screwdrivers and a razor saw.

All done now though.

There are quite a lot of badly broken parts so we'll just have to see how they go when the time comes.

I'm now after the Pocher Fiat DVD for the restoration, and to add some of the missing stuff that Pocher has undoubtedly left out...

Roy.

P1010002_zps3f8bd120.jpg

P1010003_zpsa7fdc0ab.jpg

P1010005_zps180dff98.jpg

Edited by roymattblack

No - they aren't a member here.

I'll be respectful though as apparently they are now no longer with us.

Shall we just say, they weren't expert modellers but no doubt enjoyed the build...

Roy.

That's a very diplomatic answer
Shaun

I've made a small start on the engine...

Cyliners cleaned up, sanded, de-glued etc and repainted.

A few ancillaries also given the same treatment, and holes are now drilled for the (missing) oil lines.

The miniscule (5mm) mesh on the fuel pump/carburettor was added as the kit doesn't have one.

Roy.

P1010006_zpsbf07b1f4.jpg

P1010007_zps42cf1b67.jpg

Only a small update.

Work is going slowly on this at present as I have a publisher SERIOUSLY chasing me to complete a book.

I'm working mainly on that at present but as a bit of respite, I've started adding the umpteen missing oil lines on the engine.

LOADS more to go...

Roy.

P1010016_zpscdf61839.jpg

No...

I write humorous fantasy/adventure...

My first book is here:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Worter-Water-Misadventures-Granny-Grayling/dp/1897312016

I'm being chased for part 2.

I also co-wrote a book for a movie that has won two book awards:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Shadowland-Legend-Roy-Fitzsimmonds-ebook/dp/B00BKKSYAW/ref=tmm_kin_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&sr=&qid=

That one is also coming up for part 2....

All good fun.

Roy.

Edited by roymattblack
  • Like 1

Many thanks for the generous words.

Regarding the glue, I was lucky enough to find that the majority of glued parts in the previous build had been done with either Evo-Stik or something resembling a creamy coloured toothpaste - I kid you not.

Fortunately it made all the dismantling fairly straightforward, with just cleaning of the parts afterwards necessary.

Some parts were glued with poly cement though, and it was done to the extent that it looked as if half a tube had been used on every join...

Some parts broke apart quite easily, but some had to be cut apart with a fine razor saw.

Some awkward parts just wouldn't budge and in the end were just literally broken apart, resulting in quite damaged bits.

They were cleaned up, and when the time comes they will be repaired with plasticard, filler, whatever.

The engine so far.

Pushrods cleaned up - severely rusty before - brass parts polished a bit as I don't want a 'mirror' look although the pictures make it look that way.

Inlet parts fixed on.

Tons more oil lines etc to add.

Roy.

P1010021_zps64f46f9c.jpg

P1010020_zps005da463.jpg

• Like 1

I have this same kit brand new in my stash for a couple of years now. I haven't had the courage to start it yet. Still have lots to learn so I'll definitely be following along VERY CLOSELY. Hope to learn more than a few things. Good luck! Looking awesome so far.