1/72 Airfix Defiant Nightfighters in Stereo - Pic Heavy

Having looked at this in the rfi, this has turned out rather lovely,

I like it very much, look forward to seeing number two,

Sean

• Like 1

Today the masking fluid arrived, so I matt varnished the model...

DSCN2385.jpg

...and once that was dry, I applied some of the masking fluid where I wanted the more extensive chipping:

DSCN2389.jpg

... then I sprayed overall with hairspray:

DSCN2390.jpg

... and once that was dry, with Tamiya Rubber Black - if I was only going to use one colour on this kit, that would be it, it looks great:

DSCN2393.jpg

Then I set about scrubbing off some of the paint, and of course I went too far...

DSCN2402.jpg

The sad thing is, I actually kind of liked the way it looked, but while the RDM2A paint did have adhesion problems, it wasn't just loosely sprinkled on the wings to be blown away by the faintest breeze... so I toned it down a bit with a few washes of black:

DSCN2409.jpg

And I think that's more or less it. I had an amusing twenty minutes or so re-spraying the port wing when, in an effort to speed the drying of the wash I picked up the airbrush to give the wing a blast of air, only to blast out a spurt of cellulose thinners that had been lurking in the interior of the airbrush for just such an occasion. How we laughed!

So, next I think will be a coat of Klear, then decal-wards... :D

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 11

That turned out great Stew, the results look very 'scale', if I'm saying that right.

What he said. ^

You had me at: "I went too far". Don't we always? Less is more, but when is it less or more? The Paradox.

• Like 1

Thanks very much gents :D

Afterward I felt I had gone too far in correcting where I had previously gone too far, so scrubbed a bit off, and I have a feeling I went too far again... however I shall press on until I go too far in some other direction :D or until I am happy with it, whichever comes first.

In the process I have broken off all the bits that can be broken off... again. The pitot, the underside aerial and even the tailwheel... (et tu, tailwheel?) but none have gone into the carpet monster's gaping maw.

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 3

I managed to break my aerial in half before I got it on the model so I'm going to have to make.

Regarding the finish it's like goldilocks and the three bears! Build a third one and the finish will be spot on. Go on, you know you want to lol!

You'd probably get a third one finished before I got to finish mine as well!

• Like 2

Ha, funnily enough there is a third one in the pipeline, but it is part of the Dogfight Double set so will be in the Temperate Land Scheme :D

I'll just keep plugging away at this one until I get what I want, or I get bored, whichever is the sooner :lol:

Cheers,

Stew

Thanks very much gents :D

Afterward I felt I had gone too far in correcting where I had previously gone too far, so scrubbed a bit off, and I have a feeling I went too far again... however I shall press on until I go too far in some other direction :D or until I am happy with it, whichever comes first.

In the process I have broken off all the bits that can be broken off... again. The pitot, the underside aerial and even the tailwheel... (et tu, tailwheel?) but none have gone into the carpet monster's gaping maw.

Cheers,

Stew

Love the Shakespeare ref...et tu LOL

Now lesson 101 tailwheels....never attach until all is said and done...

lesson 102 tailwheels....refer lesson 101 :fight:

Cant wait to see how she ends up and looking great to me so far.

Chocks away!

• Like 1

Looks spot on to me Stew,can you go too far with this scheme? some actual photo,s show some air frames almost white in patches in a state that must have had the

brass hats choking on their gin and tonics!

• Like 1

Love the Shakespeare ref...et tu LOL

Now lesson 101 tailwheels....never attach until all is said and done...

lesson 102 tailwheels....refer lesson 101 :fight:

Cant wait to see how she ends up and looking great to me so far.

Chocks away!

Bruce, good spot on the Caesar quote, I really did feel betrayed by that damned tailwheel though... I am not usually so clumsy but then I don't usually have to scrub my kits in the kitchen sink three or four times :blush:

Looks spot on to me Stew,can you go too far with this scheme? some actual photo,s show some air frames almost white in patches in a state that must have had the

brass hats choking on their gin and tonics!

Steve, you illustrate a point very well; I thought I had gone too far, and everyone else seems to think I went about far enough - sadly being an impulsive being I had already 'corrected' it when I found this out. and it has now been re-re-re-corrected so many times I have no idea what it looks like myself :huh:

As the others have said the paint finish looks really good - very realistically weathered. :thumbsup:

Stix, thank you mate, I really do wish I had 'saved' at that point and could go back to it now :unsure:

Still, I think what I have ended up with is in fact a more - possibly only slightly, but more nonetheless - realistic interpretation of the colour scheme. In any case it is now decalled, shortly will be sealed with a coat of Klear and then varnished and weathered, or weathered and varnished if I am feeling contrary.

Should have finished pics up tomorrow evening.

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 2

Right, I am calling Number 2 complete now; after all my fiddling around scrubbing and scraping and washing to produce a subtly distressed RDM2A effect, the camera appears to have swallowed it all and I may have well have just painted it black:

DSCN2458.jpg

... which would be a bit disheartening, were it not for the fact that I still enjoyed building and painting it, and in the end I have a fairly nicely finished model from a very nice kit. I'll set up an RFI thread (here) after I finish this bit with more pictures.

Thanks to everyone who chipped in, tuned in, turned on, dropped out, swung by, spoke up, piped down or took part in any shape or form :D

I leave you with a picture of my two Black Beauties.

DSCN2460.jpg

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 12

Thanks very much Jon :D

Thanks Pawel, I hope it helps with your build :bye:

Thanks Bruce, and thanks for your input on the thread ^_^ - I wouldn't have given up on anything less than major structural damage to the kit (even if I had to do it myself :fight::lol: ) at the lowest points of the build I was still enjoying myself because I was never really stopped dead at any point, there was always something I could do or at least try to do to fix it, or make it better... but I'm pleased you like the end result, thanks :D

Cheers,

Stew

Fantastic Stew, having looked at the RFI for no 2, well, it's just as good as no 1.

Great builds both, and a very amusing and entertaining wip

:goodjob:

Sean

• Like 1

Thanks very much mate, that's nice of you to say so. I'll be starting Defiant number three in a little while - once I have finished the Dornier anyway - as part of the Dogfight Double set here - please pop in if you are bored :D

Cheers,

Stew