Mirage GB chat

Enzo the Magnificent

• 2 weeks later...

A quick question for our Mirage experts.

Is it possible to build a Belgian Mirage V BR from the recent Kinetic 1/48 Mirage III E/R boxing? I think they are very similar (if not identical) externally but wonder if this is just wishful thinking on my part or if it is actually doable.

Craig.

You could make an early Belgium 5BR using the IIIRD camera nose from the Kinetic IIIE/R kit but you would need to modify / change the ventral pack under the rear fuselage.  The Belgium Air Force Mirages utilised a different ventral pack that included a tail hook. The Belgium ventral pack is not included in Kinetic's kit box.

You maybe able to get a replacement part from the AviationMegastore if they still have the Mirsip conversion set available.  Alternatively, you could buy the Wingman Model kit of the 5BA/5BR, kit number 48014, (but they are expensive).  The Wingman kit is the Kinetic plastic with resin upgrade set which includes the modified fin/rudder.  The fin/rudder enables you to build Belgium Mirages right up until the BAF retired them.  To make an early 5BR you are looking at pre 1980/81.  These aircraft wore in the main, the Tan and two tone greens on the topside with pale grey on the undersides alla Vietnam SEA scheme.

cheers,

Zhizhou

• Like 2

Well Mirage fans, we've got a few months to wait the start of this GB but Bjorn's SH Mirage F.1B build here should provide some inspiration, if that's not enough here's Pelican's rendition of Kinetic's 1/48th Mirage 2000B

Also, more exciting new, there's a new Mirage IV kit in the offing from the Ukraine, lookee here!  As you can tell, I'm quite exited by the prospect of this one.

In the meantime, search the stash and the decal banks for your GB subject.

Wez

Edited by Wez
Extra text and link added

The first of them all Mirage pilots, Général Roland Glavany, took off today for his last flight, aged 94.

He took the Mirage I on its first flight on june 25th, 1955, then the Mirage III 001 one year later.

Next was the Mirage IIIA 01, and with it he became the first European pilot to Mach 2 in 1958.

He also fought as a paratrooper in WW2 with 1er Bataillon Parachutiste de Choc (A commando unit), and took part in Corsica liberation and landing in Provence, and was wounded several times. Again during the Algerian conflict, he served as a Forward Air Controler with a para unit.

glavany-20170116.jpg

Edited by Antoine
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Antoine said:

The first of them all Mirage pilots, Général Roland Glavany, took off today for his last flight, aged 94.

He took the Mirage I on its first flgiht on june 25th, 1955, then the Mirage III 001 one year later.

Next was the Mirage IIIA 01, and with it he became the first European pilot to Mach 2 in 1958.

He also fought as a paratrooper in WW2 with 1er Bataillon Parachutiste de Choc (A commando unit), and took part in Corsica liberation and landing in Provence. Again during the Algerian conflict, he served as a Forward Air Controler with a para unit.

glavany-20170116.jpg

Wow, quite a cv, RIP Sir, well played.

Well Mirage fans, if you were wondering what to do for our group build then an Italeri Mirage IIIE (for those with the funds and space), would do nicely, take a look here to see what can be done with this magnificent kit!

Well done Mathy, a superb effort!

WOW that was great, lovely looking, it's a real shame that era of aircraft like this and F-111 has gone forever. They cold do things that there newer replacements in a lot of cases can only dream about!

Dam you lot!!!  :rant: I don't need any distractions from my build plans..............though a 1/48th Recon Mirage IV would look nice beside my RF-111C!! 

5 hours ago, trickyrich said:

Dam you lot!!!  :rant: I don't need any distractions from my build plans..............though a 1/48th Recon Mirage IV would look nice beside my RF-111C!! 

Yes it would, go on, you know you want to...:wicked:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, trickyrich said:

The problem with the Heller model is the panel lines are raised! There was a panel re-scribing kit made by UpFront, but this is pretty much impossible to get now!

It'll be easier to find if you google "Upnorth".

;)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Antoine said:

It'll be easier to find if you google "Upnorth".

;)

That won't help either, I'm afraid, as their web site has gone belly up and the business is no more. In August 2006 the owner posted on Hyperscale that he had only 5 F-100D scribing sets left (no Mirage sets) and that nobody was interested in buying the line so these were the last ones.

Edited by Space Ranger
Add'l. info

Let's see, If a am rescribing it than there will be comming a new kit of it out. I am sertain.

So I will wait a bit longer and then I buy the old ones cheap and then rescribe.:penguin:

Luckely I have the tools to rescribe so no worries. And there are also some nice resin goodies for the kit, like some exhausts and a cockpit. There is also a white metal undercarriage set for it.

Cheers,

• Like 2

I had a show yesterday and what did I find?!?!  A ESCI 1/48 Mirage F1 for under a tenner!!! Now I need to get a list for some ad ons. I was thinking at a new cockpit, new exhaust and some new undercarriage legs. Luckely they are still available.

Cheers,

• Like 2