Mirage GB chat

Enzo the Magnificent

57 minutes ago, Jabba said:

Certainly have and will post in the next day or so. A Kuwaiti F1, just not quite sure which colour scheme.

Good man! 

It would be great if we could get a model of every Mirage derivative and in the colours of all the operators, so far we have a French Mirage 2000 and F1 committed to and now a Kuwaiti F1 plus some grumblings about Aussie Mirage III'S (but no commitment :fight:).

Be great to see a Brazilian Mirage IIIE or a Greek F1CG or a Qatari Mirage 2000 or a Zairian Mirage 5! Who's up for it?

Edited by Wez
damned autocorrect on so-called smart phone

2 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

Then I saw the Ecuadorian two greens scheme for the F1E and suddenly there was a third model on my list.

Be careful, Ecuadorian scheme is not a two greens scheme, but one green and one brown...;)

41 minutes ago, Jabba said:

Certainly have and will post in the next day or so. A Kuwaiti F1, just not quite sure which colour scheme.

CK or BK in desert scheme, for sure !B)

Edited by eclipse
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

I still want to build a French IIIE, but I just can't pass up the opportunity to build an Australian IIIO. So that's five!  :mental:

and??? You know you want too!!  :wicked:  You know a life outside of modelling is just there to fill in the gaps inbetween GB's! Just think how much more time you'd have for building if you never went outside! :D

4 hours ago, Wez said:

Ray,

Thanks for posting those pictures, some real gems there, just one question though, you had an Avionics Hangar?  I mean a whole hangar just for the trade group clever people?  I'm impressed!

Not having to wait on the knuckledraggers!  What a blessing!!

:tease: to any knuckledraggers.

Gosh a whole hanger to yourselves, the luxury!!!  :gobsmacked: In my day had to share hanger with Radtech's, Sparkies, Framies, and Sumpies!!! I don't know what was worse the Blackhanders or Radtechs!  :bleh: (I was a Clockwinder if you hadn't worked that out! :D )  The only good thing was they made the Gunnies live in a small shed out the back. 

5 hours ago, Wez said:

Ray,

Thanks for posting those pictures, some real gems there, just one question though, you had an Avionics Hangar?  I mean a whole hangar just for the trade group clever people?  I'm impressed!

Not having to wait on the knuckledraggers!  What a blessing!!

:tease: to any knuckledraggers.

We did Wez and Rich, at the time we had Instrument (I was a clockie as well Rich), Electrical and Radio trades in one hangar and the 'Blackhanders' in the other. It was also the case in my time at 77SQN as well.  When the Hornets came into service each SQN lost the 2 hangars and they were replaced by a larger single hanger where we had to cohabitate with the 'knuckledraggers' :D 

The gunnies lived in their own little world at Williamtown as well Rich, only to surface in numbers when we did gunnery or bombing programs :D

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Giorgio N said:

PS: do I see brown/green painted aircrafts in the 4th picture from the top?

Indeed, we over painted the grey areas with a brown water based paint mix to make the Mirages a similar colour to opposing force PACAF F-4Es from Korea (Darwin shot).

It was also done to the grey jets in one of the Townville pushes as the course was doing the final air-ground HE component and the grey jets were easier to spot from above.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CaracalModels said:

So maybe Caracal did its homework thoroughly, after all.  Oh ye of little faith.. ;-)

Now we just await the 1/72nd set to go with the new HPM revised tooling kit

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Giorgio N said:

... Must say that this scheme already poses a challenge to me: finding a good OD in acrylics.

Hi Giorgio,

I'm not sure if Hataka paints qualify as good acrylics, but they do make the Olive Drab colour (BS381:298) and offer it as part of their Falklands set (which also includes Extra Dark Sea Grey). I have the set and will attempt a comparison of their Olive Drab with some from other acrylic brands in the near future.

Andrew.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TrojanThunder said:

Indeed, we over painted the grey areas with a brown water based paint mix to make the Mirages a similar colour to opposing force PACAF F-4Es from Korea (Darwin shot).

It was also done to the grey jets in one of the Townville pushes as the course was doing the final air-ground HE component and the grey jets were easier to spot from above.

Thanks for the info, very interesting ! Would make for an unusual looking model.

6 hours ago, Andrew said:

Hi Giorgio,

I'm not sure if Hataka paints qualify as good acrylics, but they do make the Olive Drab colour (BS381:298) and offer it as part of their Falklands set (which also includes Extra Dark Sea Grey). I have the set and will attempt a comparison of their Olive Drab with some from other acrylic brands in the near future.

Andrew.

Please Andrew, let us know ! I've never tried hataka paints, I also think I have to order them online as no local shop seems to have them. IIRC they can be ordered from the company itself, I may just take the plunge, order some and try them. BS 298 has been seriously overlooked by model paint manufacturers...

I didn't even realised this GB was coming up, as luck would have it I picked up the Academy Mirage IIIC from Duncan of BlackMike at the East Neuk Model Show this weekend so I may pop along with a build of that if I manage to get the other 3 builds currently in the queue done in time. Might go a have a look for a decal sheet though and see what I can come up with. 

• Like 1

Hi Synopsis

The Academy kit is not 48th more like 1/50th or smaller so standard 48th might look to big on it.

It is not the best IIIc a lot needs doing to it, but just build it and enjoy that's what it's all about in the end.

If you need any help just ask.

Paul

Edited by PaulT 876
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Synopsis said:

I didn't even realised this GB was coming up, as luck would have it I picked up the Academy Mirage IIIC from Duncan of BlackMike at the East Neuk Model Show this weekend so I may pop along with a build of that if I manage to get the other 3 builds currently in the queue done in time. Might go a have a look for a decal sheet though and see what I can come up with. 

Hi Synopsis,

Wheels up sounds like a good plan, whatever the faults of the kit I'm sure it will turn out great - what markings are you thinking of doing it in?

15 hours ago, TrojanThunder said:

We did Wez and Rich, at the time we had Instrument (I was a clockie as well Rich), Electrical and Radio trades in one hangar and the 'Blackhanders' in the other. It was also the case in my time at 77SQN as well.  When the Hornets came into service each SQN lost the 2 hangars and they were replaced by a larger single hanger where we had to cohabitate with the 'knuckledraggers' :D 

Well there's a coincidence, my original trade was Flight Systems which had been Navigation Instruments, often called Nasties by the other avionic trades although an old radar mate of mine used to refer to us as clock tappers!

We later amalgamated with the other avionic trades and got lumped together as faries. Later still the Leckies amalgamated with avionics, they were quite happy to be classed as faries given their previous nickname...   ...but as it's a family forum, we'll leave it at that.

Careful what you say about Gunnies (or Plumbers as they referred to themselves, we called them Bombheads), Enzo is an ex-Bombhead.

2 hours ago, Wez said:

Careful what you say about Gunnies (or Plumbers as they referred to themselves, we called them Bombheads), Enzo is an ex-Bombhead.

There's no "ex" about it.  Once a plumber, always a plumber!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Enzo Matrix said:

There's no "ex" about it.  Once a plumber, always a plumber!

This much is true, likewise once lineswine always lineswine or more to the point once a nasty, still nasty (as Jabba will no doubt testify in my case)!

Here are a few I made earlier...

Hasegawa Mirage F1C and Kfir C2 built for the Less Than A Tenner GB in 2014

002.jpg

Hasegawa Kfir C2 with a modified nose, built for the Lesser Built Air Forces GB in 2015

K019.jpg

Mirage IIIB from the PJ Productions kit, built for the French Fancy GB in 2015.

M-018.jpg

• Like 4

Enzo,

Nice collection of Mirages and derivatives :thumbsup2:

Also serves to remind me I need to do better than the DNF I managed in the French Fancy GB :blush:

17 minutes ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Good evening all Mirages Fans

I recently received this

174288001.jpg

And tough it is not my usual scale I will do my best to build it ..

Patrice

Patrice,

Although its not your normal scale I'm quite sure it will be finished with your normal aplomb.

Be a good chap and start a build thread, so far we have Australian, French, Israeli, Kuwaiti and Spanish subjects in the offing.

• Like 1