Mirage GB chat

Enzo the Magnificent

57 minutes ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Good morning

Well it is not my usual scale but I will try to build the Hobbyboss Mirage IIICJ , I just have to find one ..

Patrice

Nice one Patrice, it"s not a bad kit, good luck with finding one.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Wez said:

Nice one Patrice, it"s not a bad kit, good luck with finding one.

Hi Wez

I think that finding one should not be too difficult ;)

Patrice

The GB forum is now open.  We'd all better start making final choices for our builds.

Bearing that in mind...   Australian Mirages - what colours did they use.

Were the green, grey and lowersurfaces the same colour as RAF paint, or were they the French colours?  Or were they a US equivalent?

59 minutes ago, Enzo Matrix said:

Australian Mirages - what colours did they use.

Were the green, grey and lowersurfaces the same colour as RAF paint, or were they the French colours?  Or were they a US equivalent?

The quick answer is "dunno mate, they all look the bleeding same", which to some degree they are.

You could probably paint them in French, UK and US equivalents and only you'd know and nobody else would notice.  If anyone did question it you could claim fading/weathering/bleaching...

My advice, keep schtum :devil:

Edited by Wez

I painted mine recently in RAF colours, took it along to my local model club and nothing was said about it being wrong.

I have just had a look at the Caracal decal sheet that I used on this model and it gives the upper colours in BS and the lower in FS colours. So I think it is up to the modeller to decide.

Edited by Jabba
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Antoine said:

EDSG/OD/LGG

yeap and the finish was a semi-gloss one

Enzo, you could do one in their delivery scheme which was silver, or rather painted Aluminum, or there is a cool looking later 2-tone Lo Vis scheme! There were also some special "one off" schemes as will that were used on some of the exercises? There must be a RAAF Mirage man somewhere around here that has all the good info.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Jabba said:

...the Caracal decal sheet ... gives the upper colours in BS and the lower in FS colours.

12 hours ago, Antoine said:

EDSG/OD/LGG

Yes, the 'standard' scheme as worn for a large proportion of the aircraft's career (and could still be seen at the time of retirement), the uppersurface colours were British Standard colours Extra Dark Sea Grey (BS381:640) and Olive Drab (BS381:298) and Light Gull Grey (FS 26440), a US colour.

As Rich says, there are a number of other schemes for Australian Mirages; please let me know if I can help with more information - I have the Mason and Mottram (Mushroom) book and I might know one or two folks who know about these things...

Andrew.

• Like 1

Did someone say Aussie Mirages....

Ejection seat change, me on the right behind the chap in shorts

A3-49%20seat%20change_zpsb0kleoz6.jpg

Bombing camp at Townsville with 2OCU (mid 80s)

2OCU_TVL_Sep84_2_zpsxpposgen.jpg

In the 2OCU Avionics Hangar

A3-90%202OCU_zpsl0wahkxm.jpg

Just prior to Pitch Black 84 (Darwin)

Darwin3.jpg

Another bomb camp in Townsville, this time 77SQN

A3-0577SQNTownsvilleArmedforHEbombi.jpg

MirageA3-6577C11-86HighSierraRaySsm.jpg

Me :D:D:D, strapping on A3-111 in December 1986

mirageride17Dec86.jpg

mirageride17Dec863.jpg

mirageride17Dec864.jpg

mirageride17Dec866.jpg

I will be building A3-111 in this scheme

• Like 8

Great pictures, thanks for sharing! 

I will also build an RAAF Mirage in the green and grey scheme, I may ask a few questions along the way if you don't minds. 

Must say that this scheme already poses a challenge to me: finding a good OD in acrylics.

3 hours ago, Giorgio N said:

PS: do I see brown/green painted aircrafts in the 4th picture from the top?

You do indeed Giorgio, you do indeed, and not just a random one but a whole flight line full of them!

Thanks to all who waded in with advice and pictures about Australian Mirages.

I've now decided that I will build one. I just have to choose which one...

I've been very torn over this GB.  Originally my intention was to build a couple of Mirage F1s. One had to be in the classic French blue scheme and another had to be a two-seater.  Then I saw the ex-South African F1AZs in Gabonese service.  So the two changed to a French blue F1B and a Gabonese F1AZ.

Then I saw the Ecuadorian two greens scheme for the F1E and suddenly there was a third model on my list.

I can't just build F1s though: after all the classic Mirage planform is a pure delta.  That led to me considering a III, 5 or one of their derivatives.  I eventually settled on a Kfir, with my choice being a Sri Lankan one 'cos I've never seen one built as a model.

That's four for one GB.  It's getting silly...  :fool:

But now I'm thinking that I have never built a Mirage IIIE, so I really should take the opportunity.  I was all set on a French IIIE but then I searched through my decal stash (looking for something else) and came across a Novascale sheet for Australian Mirages. 

I still want to build a French IIIE, but I just can't pass up the opportunity to build an Australian IIIO. So that's five!  :mental:

I usually advise others to spare themselves the agonies of choice and build everything they are considering, but I'm going to have to draw the line somewhere, otherwise I would be building a Belgian Mirage 5, Iranian and Greek F1s and a Djibouti-based IIIC.  That way madness lies! 

1 hour ago, Enzo Matrix said:

I usually advise others to spare themselves the agonies of choice and build everything they are considering, but I'm going to have to draw the line somewhere, otherwise I would be building a Belgian Mirage 5, Iranian and Greek F1s and a Djibouti-based IIIC.  That way madness lies! 

Are you SURE you don't want to build them all? :whistle:

7 hours ago, TrojanThunder said:

Did someone say Aussie Mirages....

Ray,

Thanks for posting those pictures, some real gems there, just one question though, you had an Avionics Hangar?  I mean a whole hangar just for the trade group clever people?  I'm impressed!

Not having to wait on the knuckledraggers!  What a blessing!!

:tease: to any knuckledraggers.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Andrew said:

Yes, the 'standard' scheme as worn for a large proportion of the aircraft's career (and could still be seen at the time of retirement), the uppersurface colours were British Standard colours Extra Dark Sea Grey (BS381:640) and Olive Drab (BS381:298) and Light Gull Grey (FS 26440), a US colour.

So maybe Caracal did its homework thoroughly, after all.  Oh ye of little faith.. ;-)

Edited by CaracalModels
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jabba said:

Oi I resemble that remark.

Yes, yes you do.

Anyway, chosen your victim for the GB yet?