HrNMS Karel Doorman

Martian

First of all, please be gentle with me as I am about as far out of my comfort zone as it is possible to get!

Those who follow the aviation section of this forum may be aware that for the last nine months I have been building models of the last air group of the Dutch carrier Karel Doorman. The third part of the mater plan is to do a detailed build of the carrier herself. This will include detailed cable and hangar decks.

Having obtained a very rare conversion kit from the Netherlands, I have finally plucked up the courage to start the build. This will be a slow process, as, as well as being a very slow modeller, this is by far and away the hardest ship build I have ever tried. Add to this a mall fortune spent on the conversion kit and assorted detail parts, (kudos to my wife Gill for encouraging me to go this extra mile) you will understand that I will be proceeding very cautiously indeed.

Anyway, a start has now been made by drilling out the appropriate portholes and gluing the hull halves of the Heller Arromanches/Colossus kit together. Next up will to reinforce the hull join from the inside with strips of plastic card.

Thank for looking

Martin

010_zps8700ebdd.jpg

011_zps24b728c6.jpg

• Like 9

An interesting build. I never knew there was a conversion set.

It was produced as complete kit along with the donor kit by IPMS Netherlands around 2003. It is still available from Naval Models in the Netherlands. As I already had some Arromanches kits in the stash and money was tight Naval Models very kindly ran off a set of conversion parts specially for me. They are well worth checking out as they have some interesting products and their service is superb.

Martin

I'm in!

"Scuttles", not "portholes" - but I know you have no pretensions to being a matelot, so normal language is allowed. But we'll still tease you, obviously.

I stand corrected and as for teasing, I have been around this forum for long enough to realise that it is compulsory!

I'm in too, have thought about getting one of these kits, your build might make my mind up, so no pressure.

They are quite expensive, about £110 for the whole shooting match plus whatever extras you might buy for it but you will end up with a very rare model.

As I say, don't expect fast progress as I have two other major builds on the go and this is the most complex and expensive ship model I will have ever built by a long way and I intend to proceed very cautiously indeed.

Martin

Very Interesting build and not seen this model before.

Looks very interesting and this is one I will be watching. :popcorn:

After market stuff, what does that entail Martin, PE, Resin or more plastic.

Foxy :coolio:

Thanks Guys. The model is 1/400 scale. I know I can do some daft things at times but even I am not stupid enough to try building an aircraft carrier in 1/48 scale!

The extras I spoke about are mostly extra etch, White Ensign Colossus class set, Eduard etched chain for the side galleries, Brass 40mm gun barrels, blackened chain for the anchor chains and extra helicopters, the kit only provides two.

Martin

• Like 1

Thanks Chris, I hope I can enjoy the build as this is a model I have wanted to do for some time. When I first saw the kit at Telford in 2003 I could not afford it so I am particularly chuffed to be able to have a go at it now and all credit to Gill for encouraging me to go for it now.

Martin

I'll be along with this one too Martin

portholes scuttles whatever

I mean SCUTTLE, aint that what Herr Langsdorf did his old boat out there near Montevideo?

Scuttles pooh

Winders I calls 'em

to get down and serious for a sec, if this build gets a similar amount of your skillset as the Tracker and Sikorsky have the Maritime section is in for a treat

And so am I whilst watching

go Martin, thank you Jill

b

This is going to be a good build, have been following your aircraft build and am very impressed so am looking forward to this one. Any chance of a look at the conversion kit? Be interested to see whats involved.

Cheers now

Bob

Thank Guys.

Bob, the conversion set is a mass of very difficult to photograph rein parts, along with an etched fret for such things as railings, lattice mast and radar etc. I had a go at photographing it but just ended up with a load of fuzzy resin coloured blobs. I might get Gill to have a go over the weekend, she I way better at using the digital camera than I am. I think that when God was dishing out photographic skills I must have been at the back of the queue as I am very much a "fire and hope for the best" photographer!

Bill, the ship will be getting the same treatment as the Tracker and H-34, given my limited experience in this area, I just hope that I can do it justice.

I have spent the last few hours gluing the stern piece to the hull along with the bilge keels and the fairings for the propeller shafts. The bilge keels fit well enough but the rest seems to fit where it touches. Therefore it is muster Milliput party tonight and I will hopefully get some pictures up tomorrow.

Martin

?..the ship will be getting the same treatment as the Tracker and H-34, given my limited experience in this area, I just hope that I can do it justice.

Given the superb quality of what you're doing with the aircraft, I don't think any of the rest of us have any doubts on that score; attention to detail, persistence and the ability to produce clean, neat detailing (all of which you possess in Spades) will take you a very long way indeed.

Full hull, or waterline? I suspect the former, since you're doing bilge keels (which I expect Bill refers to as "strakes" or even "underwater sticky-out long bits") - though that's not conclusive.

Air group or not? (And I don't mean in 1/48!)

• Like 1