Stripping Zero 2K clear... any methods that definitely work?

cmatthewbacon

I've always used Isopropyl Alcohol, the 91% or higher grade. Leave the parts to soak in a bath of it over night in an old ice cream tub or similar with the lid on. Scrub the following morning under warm water with an old tooth brush. If necessary repeat. Do not use brake fluid..!! It will make the problem worse by opening all the plastic and releasing the dye even more..!!! Ask me how I know this. You must then use a sealer to stop the dye bleed again.

Edited by Steve Noble

Not to rock the apple cart but i have used brake fluid on my botched f2007 build which had zeros base coats and clear on and I have repainted with no problems but i would just like to point of the paint and the plastic were roughly the same colour so as Steve has said it may still happen with a different colour plastic to paint.

My advice just buy the sealer then you will know 100% that nothing untoward will happen

Shaun

Not to rock the apple cart but i have used brake fluid on my botched f2007 build which had zeros base coats and clear on and I have repainted with no problems but i would just like to point of the paint and the plastic were roughly the same colour so as Steve has said it may still happen with a different colour plastic to paint.

My advice just buy the sealer then you will know 100% that nothing untoward will happen

Shaun

I think it's fine on Fujimi plastic. But I'm assuming it's Hasegawa due to it being a Lancia Integrale..?? Hasegawa plastic does bleed very badly. I did an Evo red plastic painted white and it turned pink.

Well, thanks, guys. I have sealer on the way from Hiroboy, and a 5L bottle of 99.something% IPA on the way from the 'bay, so early next week I should be able to put it in to soak. Is there any harm in leaving it longer than overight? I just ask because I'll be away for a few days midweek, so I _could_ put it in to soak before I go, and clean it up after I get back. Or will the IPA affect the plastic over that length of time?

bestest,

M.

Well, thanks, guys. I have sealer on the way from Hiroboy, and a 5L bottle of 99.something% IPA on the way from the 'bay, so early next week I should be able to put it in to soak. Is there any harm in leaving it longer than overight? I just ask because I'll be away for a few days midweek, so I _could_ put it in to soak before I go, and clean it up after I get back. Or will the IPA affect the plastic over that length of time?

bestest,

M.

You can leave it as long as you like in the alcohol. I left a Tamiya Peugeot in it for a month once and it was fine. It's very gentle on the plastic. I've even stripped clear parts with it with no damage :)