Zero 2K clear "leaching" red from body plastic?

cmatthewbacon

This is very weird. I'm just working on a Delta Integrale. Got the proper Lancia yellow from Zero Paints, and 2K clear. I primered the body with Tamiya White Fine Surface Primer last Saturday, and let it bake in the airing cupboard for a few days. Put the yellow on a couple of days ago, and once more into the airing cupboard. Yellow went down very well -- nice even colour all over. Now I've put on the clear coat, and it's turning slightly orange, more so in places where the clear coat is thicker.The roof is lovely and smooth, but has an orange cast in a few places, and in some seams it's showing reddish as well. It's almost as if the clear coat is somehow pulling colour from the red plastic THROUGH the dry primer and yellow basecoat. It's not the base plastic "showing through", it's the clear itself that has somehow become coloured. It's not terrible, so I think I'm going to chalk it up to experience, hope it looks a little less obvious once the clear has cured, and press on, rather than trying to strip the paint off the body!

Anyone else had this experience? It's never happened to me with Zero 2K before...

bestest,

M.

l have had happen with a model rail road engine l painted for a fellow. After stripping the factory paint off l primed it but found the plastic colour leached through the grey primer. The best way l ever found to solve that was give it a coat of flat black first as a primer then put your lighter colour primer on that so it does not make the colours too dark

Edited by hacker

It's the dye from the red plastic bleeding through and tinting the clear. You can get some sealer from Hiroboy that you spray onto the bare plastic to seal it before you prime. It does work, as I've tried it myself. I've also heard that a coat of silver paint can act in the same way and seal the plastic, although I haven't tried it myself.