Roland C.II Walfisch

Learstang

I've always wanted to do a Roland C.II in 1/72nd scale. I know of the Eduard kit in 1/48th scale, but can a reasonable model be made of the ancient Airfix kit? Thank you very much for any assistance in this quixotic venture!

Best Regards,

Jason

Hi Jason,

I also think that it is the only game in town.

A very reasonable model can be made from the kit. The tail plane and rudder are not right, but some 10 thou will rectify that. The wing tips need a bit of a sanding to correct their profile and the vintage sackcloth fabric surface texture removed. IIRC Mike Grant did one of his revamping Circuit and Bumps builds with this kit in Airfix Build and Convert No. 2, (again IIRC). It would also be useful to get your hands on the Windsock Datafile on the Roland, (http://www.windsockdatafilespecials.co.uk/49lfg-roland-cii-387-p.asp) and down print the instruction sheets from the Wingnut Wings examples.

HTH!

Christian the Married and exiled to africa

• Like 1

Thank you very much gentlemen for the information! It is, as far I know also, the only game in town for 1/72nd scale. Christian, that's a good idea about the WNW instructions. I may just be crazy enough to attempt this build - at least it doesn't have much rigging!

Best Regards,

Jason

You will need to remove all the raised detail on the wings and fuselage, replace or at least drastically thin the tail surfaces, thin the wing trailing edges and scratchbuild the interior, but otherwise not too much work. The Heller kit is the same one, just in a different box.

Ian

• Like 1

No worries, Ian! I've done many short/limited-run kits, so I'm not afraid of a little work. My main concern is always is the shape basically accurate. Re that, does anyone know right off hand where I might find some good plans? As always, any help is appreciated!

Regards,

Jason

Hi Jason,

I also think that it is the only game in town.

A very reasonable model can be made from the kit. The tail plane and rudder are not right, but some 10 thou will rectify that. The wing tips need a bit of a sanding to correct their profile and the vintage sackcloth fabric surface texture removed. IIRC Mike Grant did one of his revamping Circuit and Bumps builds with this kit in Airfix Build and Convert No. 2, (again IIRC). It would also be useful to get your hands on the Windsock Datafile on the Roland, (http://www.windsockdatafilespecials.co.uk/49lfg-roland-cii-387-p.asp) and down print the instruction sheets from the Wingnut Wings examples.

HTH!

Christian the Married and exiled to africa

For plans http://www.windsockdatafilespecials.co.uk/49lfg-roland-cii-387-p.asp! :winkgrin:

• Like 1