Removing Vallejo Primer

parip

Hi everyone

I have found out how to remove, Vallejo Surface Primer without sanding. Simply dab cotton swab into Mr. Hobby Colour Thinner (the one for the "aqueous" range), and move it (rub it) across primed model which needs repair. Thinner will react with primer and with rubbing you will remove most of it, some clean up afterwards, with alcohol is required.

Needless to say, my airbrushing skills are very basic and yes I am having problems with this product - so in my case sanding will peel the primer after several days of drying, however I will continue using it because it is living room friendly.

If someone knows how to thin this primer it would help me a lot - water is a definite no-go (hmm, maybe another thread "What you shouldn't do" shall be started :banghead: )

Cheers!
Rade

Hi Rade,

Good tip, I found out ages ago that the Vallejo polyurethane primers could be a devil to sand, and worse to remove. If you need to thin them a little use Vallejo's airbrush thinner, it usually works.

Best Wishes,

Will.

i use airbrush thinner the gold labelled one. always wipe the model down with some paper towel soaked in isopropanol. then a scrub with toothpaste and a toothbrush to sort of key the surface. then a soapy rinse under the tap. then finally primer.

Needless to say, my airbrushing skills are very basic and yes I am having problems with this product - so in my case sanding will peel the primer after several days of drying, however I will continue using it because it is living room friendly.

If someone knows how to thin this primer it would help me a lot - water is a definite no-go (hmm, maybe another thread "What you shouldn't do" shall be started :banghead: )

I don't think the problems with sanding the primer are anything to do with how you're airbrushing it- that primer is just like that, and just dries with a kind of horrible rubbery finish.

As you have Mr Hobby thinner anyway, I'd give Mr finishing surfacer 1500 a try- sprays to a really smooth finish, and sands easily.