Newbie in need of guidance on Hurricanes

ian1485

Hi everyone!

I’m returning to the hobby after 29 years as a stress buster – I always intended to get back into it after been obsessed in earlier years (and have been scanning these pages for a about two years), but now I have!

I’ve bought the new tool Airfix 1/72 Hurricane (amongst others, I’m already building up a stash…) and have a few questions that I’d be grateful for any help with:-

1. I bought the starter kit (ridiculously cheap) thinking that it would have the bits for a phoney war 1 or 73 Sq aircraft (love the rudders in red white and blue) - the two-blader etc, but that sprue (E, I think) isn’t in – does anyone have a spare sprue E that they would like to sell?
  2. Where can I get aftermarket decals for phoney war Hurricanes?
  3. Anyone know why some 1 Sq aircraft appear to use squadron codes (JX) and others just have an individual aircraft code?
  4. I’ll be brush painting for now and used to use enamels, but my workshop in my garage is a pretty enclosed space so think it will be wiser to use enamels to lessen fumes. Any recommendations for which brush well and are accurate for the RAF dark green and dark earth?

Apologies for how many questions asked, but if anyone can chip in with any pointers on any bits that would be most welcome!

Welcome to BM. At the price, you can afford another Hurricane with the extra bits!

This might help with some questions.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234951615-paul-richey-hurricane-questions/

Enamel paints have volatiles that you can smell. The toxicity of acrylic paint is not well investigated. I paint in a fume hood in the garage.

If you don't want any smells, you would be better of using Lifecolor paints, as they are acrylic, excellent for brush painting, can be thinned with water and the brushes can be cleaned in water as well

I think the place for appropriate decals is Hannants Xtradecal - certainly they do an sheet dedicated to early Hurricanes.

For paints, you can also use Xtracolour - I presume from your answer you meant to say that you prefer acrylics (personally I feel the fumes "problem" is over-rated) in which case Xtracrylics. Humbrol have recently replaced their 30 Dark Green with a colour close to the RAF shade but you can't tell the difference from old stock just looking at the tin. At least I can't.

Beware of photos claiming to be 1 Sq with single codes but actually are 73 Sq.

I suspect you may be able to find an aftermarket two-blader. They are also available with other propellers in the Sword/AZ kits - I'm sure I have one of those spare so send a pm with your address and you can have it.

Edited by Graham Boak

Thanks for the pointers

Ed - thanks for the link, I shall have to spend some time working through this - loads of info!

Kev & Graham - thanks for the advice about acrylics. They seem reasonably priced so I might just get some of the xtracrylics and lifecolor and see which I prefer

Graham - I've looked at the decals on Hannants website and the selection is amazing! I would have killed for that sort of choice back when I was modelling originally! If you have a spare two-blader that would be gratefully received. I'll just see how to work the PM.....